Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Seismic 4212 - Quality of the Unit

All,

Do any of you have issues with the quality of the build of the Jayco Toyhaulers?
Small things like - vibration caused deterioration of handles, shades, lights, doors, cabinets, etc....

Big things - Leaks, problems with sliders going in and out, electrical malfunctions, AC unit anchor bolts coming loose, issues with hitch, etc...

All info is appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis
rvdennisfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #2

No major issues, just the ussual little things, only return to dealer was to get longer arms on awning over the slide put on, the awning touched the slide and flapped against it in the wind
Trucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #3

I crawled around a 4212 in Indianapolis Camping World back on Memorial Day 2015. As I went thru the basement looking at up at the basement ceiling, every (and I do mean EVERY) screw missed the metal support ribs from port to starboard.

At least the person doing the floor was consistently wrong by 1/2 inch off center.....
KingRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #4

We have a 2010 Recon ZX 39C that I bought used (though barely used), so I can't speak to the quality control when it was new, and some of these may be normal maintenance issues:

Poor caulking around shower stall caused leaks outside the shower on the floor
Leaky water connections under the sink
Leaky main drain pipe when grey tanks near full
many loose screws in fender skirts and in sheeting under nose cap
interior ceiling trim poorly stapled(?) and comes down periodically
Air Con interior ceiling grill screws didn't stay in and had to be redrilled
linoleum poorly cut around floor heating vents
Master bedroom closet doors stiff and hard to slide
cargo door latches poorly fit

None are show stoppers, and we love the unit, but they all seem like issues that would have been easier to do right on the factory floor.
SSBN608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #5

Exclamation Major Hitch issue in Ogden! - Update.............

PS to OP..............
I posted about a separate problem re Frame and Welding issues under 5Th Wheel, because I didn't want to infer that they are quality control issues until I know more. Could as easily be prior owner issues that I'm unaware of....yet.
SSBN608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

I bought my Seismic 4212 just over a year ago and thought that if I spent this much money on a camper I would get more quality. I was dead wrong. I have had issues with the main (living room) slide from day one. I picked it up from dealer which is 9 hours from where I live. Got it home and was about to use it when the slide would not go all the way in. It was still sticking out over a foot. I had to have a mobile repair service come out to work on it. Got it working but was still very slow. I took it on first trip and ended up having to physically push the slide in while holding the button (luckily it came with a remote). I was able to do this on a couple trips before it was too difficult to move at all. It is really embarrassing when people are admiring your camper and you have to say, "Can you come help me push this slide in?" So I call my local Jayco dealer for warranty repair and the first thing they ask is if I bought the camper from them. Well I didn't so they tell me they are booked and they don't make appointments and to call back in a month. This went on for 3 months until they finally told me that they would not work on it because I did not buy it from them. This is a Jayco authorized dealer!! (Hope's Camper in Monroe, LA) So I called Jayco to file a complaint and was told they could not do anything about it. I ended up having to take it to another Jayco dealer 2 hours away. After 2 months of being work on and every mechanical part of the slide being replaced (system board, motors, tracks) they said it had been fixed. It still did not fix the problem. On the second use at the campground I couldn't get the slide to go in all the way. Luckily it went in far enough to pull home. I now found that the slide has ripped part of the floor up in the kitchen. It is now worse than before. So I am back at square one with the same problem and now damage to the camper. I don't know if all campers are having this problem or I just got the lemon. We will see what Jayco is going to do to solve the problem. They have been very nice so far but not very helpful. At this point I would expect them to step up and replace the camper but I know better than that. Right now I just have an $85K piece of scrap metal that can't be used.
krkenned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdennisfrakes View Post
All,

Do any of you have issues with the quality of the build of the Jayco Toyhaulers?
Small things like - vibration caused deterioration of handles, shades, lights, doors, cabinets, etc....

Big things - Leaks, problems with sliders going in and out, electrical malfunctions, AC unit anchor bolts coming loose, issues with hitch, etc...

All info is appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis
I suggest you look at this thread and various other post by myself and others here.

BTW our 4212 is still in shop after the big slide went south May 1

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...ues-34672.html
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

My 2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 has been in shop for 7 month's for the exact same Issue even down to the floor being destroyed. The Schwintek slide being used on the large slide is not rated for the weight that is being applied to it. Jayco is just putting out fires waiting for the warranty to expire. I'm sure every Jayco Sesimic 4212 is or has or will have a Schwintek slide Problem. We all need to band together and get Jayco to repair this Schwintek slide the proper way.
lancesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Site Team

This thread is closed. This board is not the place to organize legal action.

Edit: thread is re-opened. Any more discussion of legal action will result in deletion of posts and re-closing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Site Team

Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors, products or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community. You may post about problems you have with Jayco product in an effort to learn from others with similar issues however the use of the forums to repeatedly attack or bash Jayco, Jayco products, or Jayco owners is strictly forbidden.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #11

I have had the same problem with the main slide on my 2015 4212
kenleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #12

Were you able to get it resolved/fixed?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #13

Sesimic 4212 Slide

Update............we finally got the Seismic back last week. The repair order date was Feb 9 th and we picked it up July 20. However we still have many issues. Jayco replaced the slide motors with 500:1 vs the 300:1 motors that were original. The slide moves without the start stop issue now. When opening or retracting it moves without hesitation. 500:1 motors are slower however the slide moves just as fast as before. They also added 3 more rollers for a total of 6. This took some fabricating and shims to install. Also as noted in other posts they added more outriggers, there was only 3 now there are 6 outriggers.

Jayco knows they have a huge problem with the Seismic, we have had so much communication with service @ Jayco they won't even respond anymore to us.

On another note we were told by the Service Manager, Service writer and our tech that since the Thor announcement Jayco is now refusing warranty claims left and right. Warranty claims payments have all but ceased and warranty issues as well as tech support has declined to a trickle. The Director of Parts and service has left after 30+ years and our tech support person at Jayco quit. Didn't take long for the Thor business model to take over.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #14

Well my 4212 is still in the shop to get the slide fixed. I spoke to the service manager and he said Jayco is sending the same parts to fix the slide. I told him this was not going to work just as the last 2 times. I called Jayco about putting the 500:1 motors on it and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I'm waiting on a supervisor from Jayco to contact me.
Loboclone, Do you have a contact name with Jayco on this problem?
Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkenned View Post
Well my 4212 is still in the shop to get the slide fixed. I spoke to the service manager and he said Jayco is sending the same parts to fix the slide. I told him this was not going to work just as the last 2 times. I called Jayco about putting the 500:1 motors on it and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I'm waiting on a supervisor from Jayco to contact me.
Here you go.......
Attached Thumbnails
image.png  
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Hope you get it resolved, we have been on road for over 3 weeks now and no issues so far with slide now that the motors have been changed out to 500:1. Make sure you get rollers upgraded to 6 vs 3 and get your outriggers beefed up.
I wish I could report goood things on this junk Lippert leveling 2.0 system and the junk Westlake tires. Just ordered more Sailun S637 tires. Also the parts are in to replace the passenger side front leveling leg next Monday. Failing again. A Sesimic is way to heavy for this Lippert system, Jayco should be ashamed
Old 11-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #17

Do you have any pics of the outrigger upgrade, 3 to 6?

Grawe
Old 11-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #18

Love my 4212 still having problems with the big slide even after Jayco said they fixed it. I just think the slide is way too heavy for the small motors to move it. Jayco knows about this problem they just don't to spend the money to fix it. Yes I will buy another Jayco next time
kenleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

We recently traded in our Recon 39 and purchased a 2016 Seismic 400W. We were very disappointed with the fit and finish. We have over 40 items that need to be addressed by the dealer under warranty. Some things were minor such as a dent in the oven door. Others were just stupid. For example, the hot and cold water in the shower is reversed.... Just someone rushing too much to get it done and shipped. I seriously think that when it comes time in a few years to get another trailer it may not be a Jayco.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #20

Same just Happened

Where are you at with your Slide. i did not use mine yet and the slide got stuck

Quote:
I bought my Seismic 4212 just over a year ago and thought that if I spent this much money on a camper I would get more quality. I was dead wrong. I have had issues with the main (living room) slide from day one. I picked it up from dealer which is 9 hours from where I live. Got it home and was about to use it when the slide would not go all the way in. It was still sticking out over a foot. I had to have a mobile repair service come out to work on it. Got it working but was still very slow. I took it on first trip and ended up having to physically push the slide in while holding the button (luckily it came with a remote). I was able to do this on a couple trips before it was too difficult to move at all. It is really embarrassing when people are admiring your camper and you have to say, "Can you come help me push this slide in?" So I call my local Jayco dealer for warranty repair and the first thing they ask is if I bought the camper from them. Well I didn't so they tell me they are booked and they don't make appointments and to call back in a month. This went on for 3 months until they finally told me that they would not work on it because I did not buy it from them. This is a Jayco authorized dealer!! (Hope's Camper in Monroe, LA) So I called Jayco to file a complaint and was told they could not do anything about it. I ended up having to take it to another Jayco dealer 2 hours away. After 2 months of being work on and every mechanical part of the slide being replaced (system board, motors, tracks) they said it had been fixed. It still did not fix the problem. On the second use at the campground I couldn't get the slide to go in all the way. Luckily it went in far enough to pull home. I now found that the slide has ripped part of the floor up in the kitchen. It is now worse than before. So I am back at square one with the same problem and now damage to the camper. I don't know if all campers are having this problem or I just got the lemon. We will see what Jayco is going to do to solve the problem. They have been very nice so far but not very helpful. At this point I would expect them to step up and replace the camper but I know better than that. Right now I just have an $85K piece of scrap metal that can't be used.
Czajkam is offline   Reply With Quote