Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2022, 04:46 PM   #21

Main power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpemb View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post so excuse me if I am posting in the wrong area. I picked up the motor home a few weeks ago and I have it parked at my sons house. We are working on a parking pad and getting shore power to the pad. We have been going there on weekends to put things away and get organized. Currently we are only using the batteries or if it’s really hot the generator to run the ac. So when I get there I open the door and switch the main power to on then turn the lights on extend the slide outs and do what we have to. When we leave I do the opposite retract the slide outs turn the main power off lock everything and leave.

This has been fine but yesterday when I showed up the auto stairs seemed sluggish extending and when I switched the main power on the lights seemed dim. I tried to start the generator but there wasn’t enough power to start it. I then tried to start the main coach engine and it was dead as well. This resulted in us having to boost the main engine to start it. Once started I turned the generator on and the main engine off. We we there 1-1.5 hours. Before leaving I turned the main power off but I wasn’t sure what could have drained the batteries so this time I did a walk through/around to see if anything was left on. Everything seemed to be off but I noticed the ice maker light was still on. When I opened the fridge the interior lights were on and it kind of sounded like the refrigerator was still running and the main power switch was off.

On the panel just inside the door where the main power switch is there is a panel for the inverter or converter ( I’m still learning so not sure what the correct name is) in any case I tried the main power button on that panel and when I pressed the power button on the panel the refrigerator lights turned off. I am not sure what changed from last week until now. What am I doing wrong? I thought I just had to switch the main power to off to shut everything down. Any help would be very much appreciated.

This brings me to my second question. When travelling we want to keep the refrigerator cold so do we travel with the main power switch to on?
We only turn main power off when it’s stored, other than that our main power switch is always on. To charge your batteries from solar or electric, your power needs to be on. If it’s off your refrigerator won’t stay on. Even when refrigerator is on propane, your lights in refrigerator won’t come on, anything that’s part of it,that takes electric, like the ice maker arm won’t work, etc. You should get a solar panel or two so when it’s sitting at your sons house the batteries will stay charged. Switch all lights to LED, it’s well worth it. Trailers and motor homes need to have batteries charged. They don’t stay good for a great length of time without some help. Good luck.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote