Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #1

Factory Cable TV Wired Incorrectly

I have a new 2018 Jayco Precept V Class A Motorhome. On our first trip to a RV Park that offered Cable TV, I found that my TV picture was terrible. I downloaded some photos of RV Cable TV Wiring Diagrams and found that my RV was wired incorrectly. Basically the Output and Input cables were reversed. Once I swapped out the connections, the picture came in beautifully. On our next trip we had joined a friend of ours who just purchased a new 2018 Baja Trailer. Her Cable TV was doing the same thing as mine had done. I checked out the wiring on her Rig and it was wired exactly as mine had been, incorrect. Again, a simple swap of the input and output cables and the TV picture came in beautifully.

I am asumming that someone at the Factory is wiring all these RV's incorrectly. Both rigs were purchased at different Dealerships so I'm thinking the problem was at the factory.

Photos of the proper cable hookup can be found on my Album
DaveLorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #2

You may also find that the TV's sold with your coach may not work on some cable systems without a cable box.

Our 2016 Precept 35S came with Seiki TV's, none of which were cable ready. They worked great off the King rooftop antenna for 3 months (another story) but never worked with typical RV park cable systems.

Jayco replaced all three TV's under warranty. After two years and multiple dealer service visits they claim to have found a crushed cable connector behind the refrigerator. Will know for sure before the end of 2018.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

I found two coax output terminals in the cabinet above the main tv in our ‘18 precept. One was marked “cable” and the other marked “satellite”. When I tried to hook up to park’s cable system I wasn’t receiving a signal. After removing the panel and observing the coax cables only the “satellite” connection had been plugged in at the factory. I then plugged the cable hookup from the park into my satellite input and connected the tv to satellite and was able to receive the cable tv signal. Obviously both terminals should have been hooked up by the factory but, now that I figured out their oversight, I am easily able to get cable tv.
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

I bought a cable testing device that injects signal on one end and if you have the receiver on the correct connector it puts out a tone. I was able to use that to wring out the cable jack in the water compartment to the wiring mess under my TV cabinet. 2016 Precept 35S.

My final warranty repair in October I told the dealer they would own the camper if they didn't find the problem with the coaxial cable from the King antenna on the roof. They finally found a crushed connector under/behind the refrigerator. My tests in storage are positive so we will see how this last repair holds up under travel stress. Out of 26 months of ownership we were able to use the roof top antenna 3 months.

Don't know if the Amish are doing the cable or entertainment products install but whoever it is needs more OJT.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

Considering the Amish don't own entertainment products, let's hope it's not them. For that matter, I often wonder why they are the ones you want working on the cabinetry. They have very simple rustic and unadorned furnishings in their homes. Think everyone expects a different level in their RV's.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

I toured the Jayco Class A Motorized assembly line in 2017. The Amish begin work at 6 AM and quit at 2 PM, one shift. All tools are air powered, no electric tools. (Guess they don't think about where the air comes from).

The workmanship in general is OK, cabinets are built in a separate facility and installed on the assembly line.

I regret not asking the question: Why are they not allowed to clean up shavings, dust and dropped hardware as they assemble?
Old 12-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #7

I had problems with no crimps on the f connectors at tv and the wiring interfered with the elevator. One rca connector fell out too for audio to the radio. Fixed both myself. NickM is correct the Seikis do not work on all RV park cable systems. So if you change parks and get nothing and your cable has been working it's probably the Seikis/park interface. Either put up with it or get a name brand tv. But I must say I am at a park that has hd tv and it works with seiki. Great picture. Usually for me if around a city I use air channels. The picture is better since it's not compressed by cable system.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

They bundled my un-shielded HDMI over Cat6 cable to the outside TV with the AC cables, so the inducted 60Hz 'Hum' made the TV unwatchable, had to run a completely new cable..... amazing what they can mess up.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote