Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
RWK

Finally drives decently / Torque-Shift transmission fix

It's been a long and expensive two plus years. The reasons we bought our Alante 31V, the layout, 30 amp with power management system, holding tank sizes and the cargo carrying capacity all put together in a decent sized coach.

I remember well the day we fully loaded it and it tried to kill us at speeds over 55 miles per hour. It swayed, leaned and bounced while scaring the crap out of us. It also bottomed out on everything from speed bumps to to driveway easements. We added or replaced leaf springs, shocks, super steer rear end, anti sway bars, roadmaster steering stabilizer and finally sumo springs front and rear.

After all that, 10K or so worth of parts and labor and it finally rides like it should. Its safe and stable even at 75 miles per hour while towing. (Not in California as we can only tow at 55 mph) I actually enjoy driving it now which I never would have believed.

Recently we found a Ford TSB out on our transmission. (The 6 speed) It described to a T the problem I've been having with the Torque-Shift transmission. The tow haul button seemed to make no difference. On a downgrade when the brakes are applied they should downshift the transmission but didn't.

I took it to Citrus Ford and they acknowledged the TSB but had to test drive it before they would download the upgrade. I was quoted 160 dollars for the test drive if the problem didn't exist. I knew the problem existed so I wasn't worried. The tech said he was going to take it up and down the Cajon grade. He only made it 5 minutes down side streets and returned it. He said the transmission wasn't functioning as it should. They downloaded the computer and the Torque-Shift transmission finally works as designed!

If you've been experiencing this problem take it by a dealer and have them run your VIN through their Oasis system.

Between the upgrades and the transmission fix we finally "like" our motorhome. I guess we'll keep it.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
It's been a long and expensive two plus years.
Wow! I hate hearing things like this with a new vehicle and that it would take two years and more money out of your pocket to get the RV operating as it should right out of the showroom. Hopefully all of the fixes will stay in place and you can get full enjoyment out of your home on wheels.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

Is there still 10k worth of parts/labour on the RV or did some of them replace other parts that you added?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
RWK

Only the shocks were replaced everything else was an add on. The original spring packs in the back were upgraded with one additional leaf each and a one inch spacer.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
RWK

Thanks, so far it is staying in place and working as promised. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

I have never had the Xmission issue (knock on wood) but have also spent $$$ getting the ride the way it should have been out the door. Finally installed Kelderman Air Ride with their spring packs and Boom! it now rides great.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #7

We'll be towing this year and so this thread made me decide to go get my transmission updated. My build date is 12/2015, and I had noticed how the RV would not downshift when I tapped on the brake.

Got ‘er down this morning. Wasn’t a problem dealing with Ford. Cost was $0.00 incase anyone was wondering.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
RWK

Yep zero dollars is the best kind of fix. I was told the transmission would need to re-learn how I drive for a while. It has made a big difference. Safe journey.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #9

Maybe we can't trust the build dates for shifting of transmission. Mine was build 8/2015 and it shifts fine. But possibly I had a engine misfire error and they did a reflash in 2016. Maybe the reflash included a transmission reprogram? But anyways it downshifts nicely on 11,600 ft monarch pass in Colorado with little brake used.

BTW, I used to work for a major office equipment company. We might advertise a reflash for xyz problem, but in reality sometimes there were many fixes rolled into to one , some major some minor.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
RWK

Not sure which enginees and VIN numbers were part of the reflash. I agree they sometimes do fix things en masse when fixing other items. But Ford had my coach twice and never mentioned it had a fix for me. (I'd complained about this problem twice.
When I brought this up to them after having found the TSB they wanted to charge me 160 bucks for a test drive before they would flash it.......
Got the impression it wouldn't have been fixed incidental to other repairs. (Unless of course the repair required a flash like yours did).
Just glad it works now. It was ultimately free.