Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2023, 07:59 AM   #1

First Tire Blowout Experience on RV

Hi Family.

I just got my 1st tire blowout experience yesterday here in Central Florida on I4. Not sure what hit me but whatever was.. hit in between the duallys on the passenger side and rip from the inside my outer tire... and at the same time hit my stem extension on the inside tire and that TPMS sensor went into No Signal immediately. Thanks to my TPMS that it started beeping and when I took a look the outer tire was down to 50 PSI from 102 that it was... I was going at around 60MPH on the center lane and I was able to reduce speed and pull to the side with it shaking as hell.

TPMS safe me for sure.. now as a newbie when I bought my rig.. I put the RV Complete warranty crap.. what a piece of garbage.... I called their road assistance line to get a tow to a nearest tire shop.. was stranded on the road since 11AM to almost 5PM.. tow never made it.. so I just called a mobile tech tire shop and got the tire replace on the spot after paying $$$$ for whatever new tire they had available. I got the ripped tire with me.. to take pictures and submit a claim to see if at least I can get some money back.

Thanks God I was alone and not with the family.. as I was picking up my MH from some warranty work at the dealer and heading to the storage facility.

Stay Safe and enjoy the weekend.
Old 02-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #2

RV Complete Roadside Assistsnce Insurance given by dealer - of any value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeleco View Post
Hi Family.

I just got my 1st tire blowout experience yesterday here in Central Florida on I4. Not sure what hit me but whatever was.. hit in between the duallys on the passenger side and rip from the inside my outer tire... and at the same time hit my stem extension on the inside tire and that TPMS sensor went into No Signal immediately. Thanks to my TPMS that it started beeping and when I took a look the outer tire was down to 50 PSI from 102 that it was... I was going at around 60MPH on the center lane and I was able to reduce speed and pull to the side with it shaking as hell.

TPMS safe me for sure.. now as a newbie when I bought my rig.. I put the RV Complete warranty crap.. what a piece of garbage.... I called their road assistance line to get a tow to a nearest tire shop.. was stranded on the road since 11AM to almost 5PM.. tow never made it.. so I just called a mobile tech tire shop and got the tire replace on the spot after paying $$$$ for whatever new tire they had available. I got the ripped tire with me.. to take pictures and submit a claim to see if at least I can get some money back.

Thanks God I was alone and not with the family.. as I was picking up my MH from some warranty work at the dealer and heading to the storage facility.

Stay Safe and enjoy the weekend.
Embeleco, did you get reimbursed by RV Complete? I bought a used RV from a dealer a few weeks ago and was given complemetary, 1 year RV Complete roadside assistance. Just curious if it has any value...
Whistleroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 05:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistleroo View Post
Embeleco, did you get reimbursed by RV Complete? I bought a used RV from a dealer a few weeks ago and was given complemetary, 1 year RV Complete roadside assistance. Just curious if it has any value...
I'm guessing by his statement of

"I put the RV Complete warranty crap.. what a piece of garbage"

he was not all too happy with it...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:42 PM   #4

I contacted Nation Safe Drivers that is the one that handles tire/wheel claims for the RV Complete warranty. They gave me a pre-auth claim number yesterday while I was still on the road. I called them today to get an email or something so I can submit all the information / pictures / etc to see if I can get at least some reimbursement on the tire. They said that if I replaced the tire without contacting them 1st then it will not be any coverage as they need to authorize first.

As I was there stranded on the side of the highway for 5 hours waiting for a Tow that never showed up (dispatched by RV Complete as part of the "warranty). I decided to call couple of those mobile tire repair/replace services and got one on site within 30 minutes. Got a a Fortune tire (china brand I guess) and I was on the road and made it to my storage facility.

Warranty rep gave me the claims email and told me to submit everything (invoice | bad tire pictures | etc) but she believes that it will be decline. We'll see.. if that is the case then I will go to my dealership and cancel my warranty as it is useless.. this is the 2nd time trying to use it.. and nothing.

Here a pic of the tire that was hit on the inside.. not sure with what road debris.
Attached Thumbnails
flat_tire1.jpg   flat_tire2.jpg  
Old 02-17-2023, 08:02 PM   #5

I had an inner tire blowout and sat for 7 hours on the side of a San Diego freeway. My roadside assistance was through State Farm and they tried to get me a tow. Went through 5 different tow companies that would respond 1/2 hour later via text that they were unable to tow a big rig.

Found a mobile tire service like you did and they were out and completed the swap within an hour. They brought out a mounted Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tire which was good for me. After returning home I replaced all the other tires with the same tire. The mobile service cost me over $900.

I raised a stink with State Farm for failure to meet their obligation. They finally reimbursed me $300 for a part of the mobile service.

I learned a valuable lesson about replacing RV tires after 5 years. Mine had 6 years on them and had sidewall cracking which I hadn't noticed. This apparently caused the tread to separate. Hard to believe Michelin tires would have a tread separation problem. Built in tire obsolence I guess.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:06 PM   #6

Mine are practically new. I bought the unit brand new on March 2022 and only 6k miles so far. I know we are at the mercy of debris on the road and anything can happen... but been 5+ hours waiting for a tow is unacceptable. I paid 650 for the tire swap.. they only had Fortune or Otanie (maybe my spelling is wrong) and I decided on the Fortune one.. maybe better than the crappy Goodyears my RV came with. I'll stick to having 3 GoodYears and 1 Fortune for now.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Jose, sorry to hear that happened to you, but sounds like you made it to the side of the road safely with minimal damage to the rig. We have towing from progressive with the RV insurance, but I always carry a spare in the front passthrough. That way I can have a mobile repair tech come out and swap the tire on the rim like you did. This is my primary plan in the event of a blowout.

TPMS is an absolute necessity in my book. I use TST new color touch-screen the 770. Upgraded it at the Tampa Show.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Jose, sorry to hear that happened to you, but sounds like you made it to the side of the road safely with minimal damage to the rig. We have towing from progressive with the RV insurance, but I always carry a spare in the front passthrough. That way I can have a mobile repair tech come out and swap the tire on the rim like you did. This is my primary plan in the event of a blowout.

TPMS is an absolute necessity in my book. I use TST new color touch-screen the 770. Upgraded it at the Tampa Show.
Same here for above items but use RVi’s TPMS as I have their brake system for my toad.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:35 PM   #9

I'm using Tireminder i10 TPMS system.. My reference value is set to 88 on all tires... my complaint is that sometimes it start beeping when my tires hit 100-102...

As of the spare tire.. I'm going to start doing that... maybe carry a spare tire without the RIM and should be a quick in/out as long as there is no other damage.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I'm guessing by his statement of

"I put the RV Complete warranty crap.. what a piece of garbage"

he was not all too happy with it...
We have the 7yr/70k Elite Viking Protection Plan from Wholesale Warranties. $200 deductible through Sept, 2029.

Covers tires, wheels and toad tires. Have not used it yet. My 2021 is just about out though on its initial warranty.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm using Tireminder i10 TPMS system.. My reference value is set to 88 on all tires... my complaint is that sometimes it start beeping when my tires hit 100-102...

As of the spare tire.. I'm going to start doing that... maybe carry a spare tire without the RIM and should be a quick in/out as long as there is no other damage.
Tst has programable upper and lower limits before the alarm sounds.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Tst has programable upper and lower limits before the alarm sounds.
I need to check mine to see if it has the same feature.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:02 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
That's exactly what I do... it will fit in the passthrough area of the front two compartments. I keep mine in the front one.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Same here for above items but use RVi’s TPMS as I have their brake system for my toad.
I too have the RVI system, don't really like it though it seems laggy on the info and the tablet is wonky

2018 Precept 31UL aka "The Money Pit"
2014 Nissan Versa TOAD
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 01:25 PM   #15
TJW

Can anyone out there offer a positive experience with their warranty company?
I would switch from my RV Complete policy if i could find a good alternative. Ive heard horror stories about good sam. I have not had to use my tire/wheel warranty yet. (fingers crossed) but i have made a claim for other work and the claim is stil pending at my repair shop after 3 months.
7.3 L V8 (Godzilla), Toad: 2016 Jeep Willys, Magnum Pathfinder ebikes, Roadmaster 077-10 Dual hitch receiver, 2in & 10in. offsets, RV Rider Hitch bike rack, Blue Ox - Accent towbar, Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer, Koni FSD shocks (4), SuperSpring Sumosprings, SuperSteer Rear trac bar, SuperSteer front radius rods, TireMinder i10 RV, Garmin RV 785, Magna shades, Traeger Ranger
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
Can anyone out there offer a positive experience with their warranty company?
I would switch from...
Nope. In my humble opinion, they only sell "peace of mind". Not solutions.

Our experience was the same as yours. Policy is valueless.

I saw a t-shirt once that read "I Am The Warranty." it made me smile. We full timed for two years and I can really relate to the idea that I am the warranty.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:37 PM   #17

Tire Blowout Experience on RV

Had two blow outs in the same day several years ago with the 5th wheel that we had then. When the second one happened, the Spare was already in use so I was SOL. I called AAA and they connected me with a local tire shop that brought me a new tire and mounted it on the side of the road. Their cost was reasonable and quite timely. I bought new tires when I reached my destination. The originals were Goodyear and only 3 years old but said "made in China" on the sidewall. When I got home I contacted AAA and they reimbursed me for the cost of the road call but not the tire. My current Class C didn't come with a spare so I got one and installed a "Pick up thruck type" carrier under the back of it. I won't travel without a spare.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:46 AM   #18

Coach net is the answer. Great experiences over 20 years with tires, winching out of mud, and tech support.
ShortChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #19

The link is coach-net.com.
ShortChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 08:01 AM   #20

Glad you had better luck with Coachnet. I post this simply for others considering them.

And yet Coachnet is who left us on the road for 6 hours to only then say they're going to call 911 to report us as a hazard on the road and maybe the police could get someone to come get us. Had one wheel (bearings) of 4 go bad on a brand new 5th wheel. I saw a Les Schwab service truck drive by. Called Les Schwab one town back and they were out within an hour. And within another hour they got us off the side of the road and back to the town for repair. No one from Coachnet, nor the police (not that it was there job because we were Not a hazard on the road) ever showed up. Coachnet did absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't buy Coachnet if the premium was $1.

Edit to fix spelling
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote