Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #1

Power Panel Question

I have a 2014 Precept 31ul that I just purchased with 3800 miles. It has a 50-amp supply...which everyone knows is 240-volt supply and split into two "legs" of 115 volts or so. My panel has 4 breakers on top, the main in the middle and 4 breakes below. The panel door shows one AC on the top leg and one AC on the bottom leg. When I got checking everything out, I found that both AC’s are on the bottom. The microwave and converter are on the top. The sticker on the panel door is swapped between a AC and the microwave. I don’t have a 50amp supply at my house yet. However when we picked up the RV both AC’s did run but not sure if we were on the dealers power or the generator power at the time. I have run both AC’s very little with the generator and had no problems...but Im feeling this will be an issue and should switch one AC back to the top? Any thoughts, thanks
Precept14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precept14 View Post
I have a 2014 Precept 31ul that I just purchased with 3800 miles. It has a 50-amp supply...which everyone knows is 240-volt supply and split into two "legs" of 115 volts or so. My panel has 4 breakers on top, the main in the middle and 4 breakes below. The panel door shows one AC on the top leg and one AC on the bottom leg. When I got checking everything out, I found that both AC’s are on the bottom. The microwave and converter are on the top. The sticker on the panel door is swapped between a AC and the microwave. I don’t have a 50amp supply at my house yet. However when we picked up the RV both AC’s did run but not sure if we were on the dealers power or the generator power at the time. I have run both AC’s very little with the generator and had no problems...but Im feeling this will be an issue and should switch one AC back to the top? Any thoughts, thanks
It may not be as simple as your making it. In a typical every other breaker Is on the same leg. Not sure how yours is, but, just because they are next to each other doesn't mean they are on the same leg. Can you post a picture of what you have? You may have to remove the cover and see how the box is laid out. How did you discover they were on the same leg?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

Thanks for responding...On a normal panel box with the main is in the center yes they are every other one...however our RV panel is one row with the main in the middle. So I pulled the top two breakers and the main. 1/2 the main is the top and the bottom 1/2 is the bottom. Reason I found this is, I want to hook my inverter to the bedroom and outside TV. It is a 1000 watt inverter and we will never run more than one tv at a time. Anyway So I was trying to figure out where the power was coming from on the breakers. I can send you a picture, because it still threws me that both AC’s ran on 110?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #4

They divide the power usage up on each leg. 50 amps at 120 volts or 6,000 watts is available on each leg. Yes you can power two AC on one leg, especially if you have no heavy usage elsewhere. They would typically put one AC on each leg so, if you only have a 30 amp receptacle to plug into you would have at least one AC running. In your situation, as I understand it, your MW is on one leg and both your AC's on the other. If, you ran into a situation where 50 amp power was not available, when you plug into a 30 amp plug, which is single 120 volt leg at 30 amps, only half your panel would be energized...either your MW would work, or both your AC but not all three. Normally your MW and one AC would operate in that situation.

Good Luck and yes you can "rebalance" your load, but I would check which leg operates when on a single 120 line.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:06 AM   #5

No I have two legs of 120, top and bottom. If you plug into a 50amp that is what you have on each leg. Plug into a 30amp or even 20amp that is what you have. I just don’t like both AC’s are on the same leg. I’m going to change the wiring to match the stickers on the panel box door, meaning swapping a AC with the microwave. Thanks again for the advise.