Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2018, 04:44 AM   #1

Question on charging...

Hello everyone and thanks in advance. This question is kind of two. 1 how would you test to know if the coach starting battery was being charged by the generator and 2 does the coach starting battery receive a charge when the generator is running. I know if I knew how to test I could have determined the answer to number two, but you can see why I have the question :-)
Old 12-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

Having recently had some very dead 5 month old house batteries I can tell you how to check to determine if batteries are being charged.

1. Run the coach engine only - with a Digital voltmeter set to DC read voltage across the engine battery, then across your house batteries. Should be greater than 14 volts. This tells you the engine alternator is charging both.

2. Run the generator only - with a digital voltmeter set to DC read voltage across the house batteries and the engine battery, should be greater than 14.

I've never checked to see if the generator charges the engine battery but my best guess is no, it doesn't. Let me know what you find please.

My coach was at the dealer for just over 2 months and the porch light switch was on. The house batteries read 2.65 volts and would not take a charge. Sam's club swapped them out at no charge as they have an 18 month free replacement warranty on their Duracell brand.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Get a digital voltmeter ( you can get a cheap one at Walmart) and carry it in your motorhome. But turn on generator, put voltmeter to dc voltage @20volts, put + and - leads on the battery to be checked. With generator on it should read about 13.6 to 14.5 if charging. Since all house batteries are connected you only have to check one. Then open hood and check chassis battery.

Hooked to shore power the voltage converter will charge about 13.2 volts in maintenance mode and higher if using the unit generally. That's explained in the converter paperwork. Parked next to house I use an adapter from 110 house power to motorhome line cord and leave the main power switch next to door on.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Nick M, didn't see your post until I finished mine. Good info.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

Yep! we must have been typing replies at the same time

I need to dig out my converter manual and re-read to determine if I need to make any changes for charging the Duracell AGM deep cycle batteries.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Yep! we must have been typing replies at the same time

I need to dig out my converter manual and re-read to determine if I need to make any changes for charging the Duracell AGM deep cycle batteries.
You will need to switch it to sealed battery from flooded, the charge profile for AGM is different than for flooded.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
You will need to switch it to sealed battery from flooded, the charge profile for AGM is different than for flooded.
Thanks JesseS, my coach is in storage and I won't be able to check the converter until sometime next week. What is involved to switch to AGM?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

Depends on the type of converter you have, the PD9xxx series have a charge wizard dongle that allows you to switch charge profiles. Most OEM converters are not switchable so I replaced mine with a PD9160 for my LiFePo4 house batteries. Check you comverter manual to see if it has a Sealed or AGM battery charge profile, this profile has a lower boost charge and no equalization charge to prevent the battery from gassing.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Ok, I’ll dig my manual out this week and check, thanks Jesse.
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote