Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #1

Still waiting on title work

After a successful mad rush to replace my stolen class A, I'm still waiting to get my plates. The title work hasn't been sent in to the Indiana BMV yet from Virginia yet. It was a private purchase where the previous owner had a lien.
Thus, I do not have dealer temporary plates. I called the Indiana BMV and they said I couldn't get temps from them. Virginia BMV isn't answering phone calls. So, I'm stuck. My loan broker is calling too to try and help me out.

We have a trip planned starting on Saturday to Colorado that has been booked since this winter. There really isn't anyway to push it back. I'm just anxious that it won't get processed in time. It has been over 13 working days and I just keep checking. My 4 year old was telling me how excited he is about our trip this morning

Anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to get out of this scrap? I have every document that I need minus the title work (insurance, vin check, bank closing, purchase agreement).
apgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #2

I see "TAG APPLIED FOR" on occasion on vehicles. You might try printing and laminating one (the ones I've seen aren't official) to put on the license plate area. If you have a bill of sale from the owner that will help especially if you have a clean driving record.

Should the whole thing get processed while you are on the road, they can simply run the VIN number and see that it has been processed very recently. I respect our law enforcement very much but I think it also depends a whole lot on how the officer's day is going.

If there really isn't any way to push it back at all, this may be the only option that I see. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #3

Who's handling the title work?
Old 07-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #4

Make sure you carry all relevant paperwork with you, especially the title and registration application. Then if you get pulled over, explain your case. That's about all you can do.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Just such a horrible feeling.. I've worked my butt off to get ready for this trip, but now this is completely out of my control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Who's handling the title work?
It is being handled by boatloans.com. They were my loan broker and have been great. The issue is the state of Virginia. They are apparently swamped like most other BMVs right now.

Boatloan is going to overnight the packet to me when they get it rather than try to send it to Indiana. It still gives me a fighting chance.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #6

Perhaps you can ask the previous owner to loan you their tags for a few weeks. That is what I did, although they were not comfortable with that until I showed them proof of insurance and spoke just enough to get their confidence that I would return the tags just as soon as I got my new replacement tags. ~CA
Old 07-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #7

That's not a bad idea. I might reach out to him to see.

I'm assuming that would technically be legal.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by apgarrett View Post
That's not a bad idea. I might reach out to him to see.

I'm assuming that would technically be legal.
Legal? I honestly don't know. However the previous owner was aware I was using them in case they got called, and I had all my paperwork in the glove compartment, bill of sale, insurance, title application, along with everything similar. I never got pulled over though to know if there would be a problem. I suspect not, maybe a warning ticket if that. I planned to tell the officer that the RV was still registered to the previous owner until the transfer was completed... not sure if that would help but it would have been an honest answer.

But the main thing is that I suspect you will get pulled over with no plates, so having plates and driving safely, and being insured should allow you to have a good time. ~CA
Old 07-14-2021, 06:06 AM   #9

I think your biggest issue is the PO had a lien. Depending on how his loan was paid off will determine how long it takes for you to get the title. If you wired the pay off it goes pretty fast. I’ve been through this several times and one sale my bank sent a certified check and Bank of the West took 45 days to release the title and my state took a month to get it to me. I also have used the other persons tag.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote