For anyone who might be interested, I completed this modification on my 2008 EXP 213. I feel it was a success and am pleased with the results.
I had been looking for lift for my trailer for quite some time. And when I came across this I just could not resist.
I was able to get a buddy of mine who works at a large production fabrication shop to make me a set of the brackets Sicario posted. I was able to send them and use the dxf file. My buddy said he would try to use scrap from another project. I had to pay for time on the machine and my buddy’s normal hourly rate. In the end I paid 140$
The surface of the brackets were not finished in anyway, so I wire brushed and painted them with krylon anti rust automotive black spray paint I got from O Riley’s.
I have a paved side yard that is specific for trailer parking so I just did the project right there. This did cause some pain because I only have about 2 maybe 3 feet on each side of the trailer. This is because the trailer is parked in between my house and the block wall that marks my property.
I started by lifting the trailer with my bottle jack. I choose the spot directly near a cross member lifting it enough to slide a jack stand under and get the tire off. I used 2 jack stands one on either side of the wheels. I also used my normal leveling scissor jacks on each corner just for stability.
After getting the wheels off I started cracking off the existing bolts. I used a 24 inch breaker bar with a 19 mm socket and some variety of extensions. I also used a normal 3/4 socket for the back side bolts. I found the bolt behind the (knuckle??) the hardest and required either a short socket or a crescent wrench.
Once all but a single one the bolts were removed, I put my jack under the axle close to the frame and lifted slightly and removed the last bolt. Then I lowered the jack and with some assistance the axle dropped. I added the bracket and added the top bolts first. Then added the bottom bolts. Once they were all sung I attempted the drilling.
One of the sides can be drilled from the front. This worked well for 2 of 4 brackets. However the other 2 had alignment issues.
The other hole needed to drill is more difficult, again because of the (knuckle?? I really am guessing). Since the “thingy” is in the way it has to be drilled from the under side of the trailer. Only a pain because of limited space and strength to accurately drill the holes. I also had alignment issues this direction.
After completing the drilling I wiggled and re adjusted the brackets until the bolts all fit nice. I then tightened each bolt using the same breaker bar sockets and wrench listed above.
I was able to find the 1/2 inch - 2 inch long grade 8 bolts at Cal Ranch. The bolts behind the knuckle were 1.5 inch. Even better they are sold by the pound. All 24 bolts, 48 washers and 24 nuts cost me less than 20 bucks.
I found that I had to lift the trailer quite a bit in order to get the wheels back on. ( ya, I know kinda the result of a lift). This was only concerning because I felt like I needed to raise the one side I had completed to a point where I felt uncomfortable with the tilt. I was most likely paranoid because I know I have had it tilted more while out and about driving, but for what ever reason it freaked me out to much. I lifted the not completed side slightly before I fully lifted the completed side enough to get the wheel back on. This was to even out more the weight and correct the tilt.
After I lifted it more I was able to get the wheels on. Then rinse and repeat. The one bolts are a pain to remove with limited space, the drilling sucks, the bolts get tightened, and lastly the wheels back on.
After I got the brackets on and everything put back together I dropped/removed all the jacks and hitched it up to the truck.
Tows great. No issues so far going just to the pilot gas station and back.
Planning to take it out on a trip this weekend. Should be about 300 miles round trip. I will post an update after.
I also have not installed a bar to connect the brackets together. However, I do plan to install it on both sides eventually.