Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #21

Heres a little teaser....

Click image for larger version

Name:	602716515.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	56269

The powdercoater sent me a pic today and said I could pick them up tomorrow.
Sexy, sexy!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Heres a little teaser....

Attachment 56269

The powdercoater sent me a pic today and said I could pick them up tomorrow.

Sexy, sexy!

Sweet! Going look amazing

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #23

Yesterday after work I stopped by the powdercoater and picked up my goodies. It took me a little bit of figuring out a process of putting it all back together and working out the bugs like installing the outer seal and getting all the air out, getting the piston back in easily, etc.

I first put the square o-ring seal back in and used a very, very little dab of grease on it and the piston to help it slide in.

A couple of trial and errors but I figured out it was best to keep the outer seal right on the piston and slide the piston all the way in and press the seal in dry with your fingers. I dont think I'd want to do that job all day long either. Fingers are a bit sore. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Lol!

The slide pins and boots went in MUCH easier than they came out. Since the calipers were completely blasted the boot holes in the caliper were bare metal. So I used some caliper grease and greased the caliper holes, greased the boots and slide pins. They all went in nice and smoothly.

The brass fittings I used a little pipe dope on the threads and no issues there. Threaded right in and tightened up nicely.

The tricky part was getting the outer pads on without scratching or chipping the calipers. I had a brainstorm and stacked 3 pieces of electrical tape together and stuck it on the caliper. I used a pair of Channelocks to lift up on the tab and put one side on at a time. Once the pad was on the tape slid right off.

Name:	20200208_121617.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	56298

Name:	20200208_122308.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	56299

Name:	20200208_122907.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	56300

Name:	20200208_123517.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	56301

Name:	20200208_123857.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	56302
Old 02-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #24

Heres them all put together.
The bracket in the background is the actuator pump mount.
(Yes, this is in my house but it's in the 3/4 finished basement. The ugly, half wore out carpet came from my sisters place and it works great for a floor covering for right now. Lol!)

Name:	20200208_132209.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	56303
We are getting there, slowly.

Next up is to get some good USA made Timken bearings and races and get those installed.
Once the weather warms up a little bit I can get the pump mounted and maybe some wiring run and a mock up of the hard line run.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #25

Looking good!!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #26

Quote:
So, here we go. This thread is gonna go on for a little while. It's cold here and wont be doing the install until things warm up a little bit.

I ordered my kit the last day of December 2019 to avoid the price hike. It took a few weeks to get it because they ran out of the longer brake hoses and I didn't need mine right away due to winter being here. When it came it was delivered via freight carrier and was on a pallet. I was like a kid at Xmas and just HAD to open it up and drool. Pretty nice kit but was 't real impressed with the packing. I found the calipers and the mounts just banging around on each other in there.
Attachment 56133

They were a little marked up and the tops of a few bleeder screws were jacked. Deal with that later. First thing I did was open the bag of bearings and such. Yup, just as I thought, China bombs. Went to my local bearing dealer and just about choked at the price of Timken's. Thank God for Amazon! I try to support my local businesses as much as possible, but when it becomes highway robbery I have to draw the line somewhere. Since the seals in the kit are a triple lip seal I may end up using them, I dont know yet. I haven't ordered the bearings just yet, but will soon.

Since the calipers and mounts got all marred up, I found myself in a little dilemma. My brake pads are red and that got me to thinking of how far I really want to go with this. So I decided to step it up a little and put some color behind the wheels. I threw the calipers on the bench and went to town. I completely tore them down and good thing too. When I popped the pistons out I found a small piece of a shop rag in one and a wire off a twisted wire wheel in another.
Attachment 56134
Attachment 56135

Calipers, caliper mounts and the bare metal mounting bracket for the pump all went to the powdercoater today.
The pump mount is getting gloss black.
Caliper mounts are staying silver.
Calipers are getting gloss Brembo Blue.
Add the red pads to it and it should look pretty sharp in there.
I should get everything back from powdercoat next week sometime. I'll post up pics when I get them.
I guess if you ever run anyone over, they will be very impressed with all the work you have done.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #27

Yup. And so will the roadkill, and the grass at the campsites, and.... lol!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Yesterday after work I stopped by the powdercoater and picked up my goodies. It took me a little bit of figuring out a process of putting it all back together and working out the bugs like installing the outer seal and getting all the air out, getting the piston back in easily, etc.

I first put the square o-ring seal back in and used a very, very little dab of grease on it and the piston to help it slide in.

A couple of trial and errors but I figured out it was best to keep the outer seal right on the piston and slide the piston all the way in and press the seal in dry with your fingers. I dont think I'd want to do that job all day long either. Fingers are a bit sore. Or maybe I'm just getting old. Lol!

The slide pins and boots went in MUCH easier than they came out. Since the calipers were completely blasted the boot holes in the caliper were bare metal. So I used some caliper grease and greased the caliper holes, greased the boots and slide pins. They all went in nice and smoothly.

The brass fittings I used a little pipe dope on the threads and no issues there. Threaded right in and tightened up nicely.

The tricky part was getting the outer pads on without scratching or chipping the calipers. I had a brainstorm and stacked 3 pieces of electrical tape together and stuck it on the caliper. I used a pair of Channelocks to lift up on the tab and put one side on at a time. Once the pad was on the tape slid right off.

Attachment 56298

Attachment 56299

Attachment 56300

Attachment 56301

Attachment 56302

What kind of grease did you use on the square seals?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #29

I used a little bit of the Sil-Glyde caliper grease I got. It's like that Frank's Red Hot sauce, I use that $&!+ on everything. Lol! It works great on the rubber pivot mounts on my B&W hitch and doesnt harm any of the rubber or any plastic.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #30

Quote:
I used a little bit of the Sil-Glyde caliper grease I got. It's like that Frank's Red Hot sauce, I use that $&!+ on everything. Lol! It works great on the rubber pivot mounts on my B&W hitch and doesnt harm any of the rubber or any plastic.

OK good, I thought you meant a petroleum based grease which would be bad news.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #31

It looked on the internet and some say not all Timken bearings are made in the USA. Also watch for the word assembled in the USA. Take them out of the box and see if they are stamped made in USA.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #32

Quote:
So you prefer the caliper grease on your pivot cushions to white grease? I use the white grease as per b&w but it seems to break down quickly. I also use it on my kingpin, again seems to break down quickly. I used to use wheel bearing grease on my pin. Just not as convenient as spray white grease.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #33

A mechanic buddy of mine told me that he uses caliper grease on his. He said it wont hurt the rubber and seems to last longer and doesnt make a mess either. I seem to get a solid season out of it before its broke down and needs to be reapplied again.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #34

Last nite I ordered all Timken bearings and races off Amazon. To get them at the lowest price they are coming from 3 different sellers, so USPS will be delivering an Amazon package every day for the next 4 days starting tomorrow. I try my best to buy from my local shops, but when the price difference is 2.5x more,.... ugh.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #35

USPS came today, well, kinda. Shipping update said it was delivered at 3pm but nothing in the mailbox or porch. 3 hours later a kind neighbor of mine shows up at my house with an Amazon box delivered to her house. God bless her for bring it down to me when its dropped back into the single digit temps, again.

Anyway, only parts of the entire order showed up today. The rest is still coming tomorrow, monday and tuesday, weather permitting. I've already got messages of a delay because of the weather in Iowa.
I opened the boxes and got races and matching bearings. So far everything is stamped USA on it.

Name:	20200214_181303.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	56416

Name:	20200214_181132.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	56417

Name:	20200214_181559.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	56418

Name:	20200214_181718.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	56419
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #36

I got the rest of the bearings and races and they are all stamped USA on them.

This weekend was good weather and I got out there and started mocking things up. Sorry no pics. I made some progress and some setbacks. A couple days ago I made a visit to HD and picked up five 50' rolls of wire in different colors to match things up as best I can to wire up the pump. Didnt get to that part yet, I can do that when the weather isn't as nice as things were this weekend.

I tried to get started again today but was met with constant water dripping on me due to the sun, 50*+ temps and the little bit of stubborn snow left on the top of the cover. After working around the dripping water all day yesterday, I had enough. I got up there and broomed it all off, shifted the cover and cleared all the snow off the concrete where i was working. What a pain.
I got a route picked out from the pump location to the brakes of how I could run the hard brake line. Really only had to lower the block for the LP lines to branch off so I could run past it. I got the hard line uncoiled, which was not fun at all, and got the bends all put in it. I got secure points every 16" with the rubber insulated line clamps I bought. I cut the first section and went to flare it and now the setback. I spent most of today fiddling around with a scrap piece trying to get a double flare. I ended up breaking the flaring tool. I had another buddy come over to see how big of an idiot I am to figure out what I was doing wrong. Needless to say his tool wasnt any better. We got it narrowed down to the 1/4" line in the kit. We measured the o.d. on it and it's like. 040 shy of being true 1/4". When you try to flare it, it slips in the flaring vise too. My buddy brought a bubble flare set and the vise in it is metric. He clamped it in the 6mm one and double flared it easily. So much for that stuff.
I was gonna go with stainless but trying to get that to flare is going to require an expensive tool. So that idea is out. I'm gonna us Niccop line instead. And while I'm at it I'm getting a hand held Eastwood line straightner. Yes, the niccop line will be easier to work with but when I uncoil it I want it straight as an arrow.
Unfortunately, the weather is not going to hold out past tomorrow afternoon. Another setback.
Next time I hope to have some pics to post.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #37

I pondered the Eastwood tubing straighter but couldn't get myself to part with the money they want for them. Nicopp is excellent to work with but the benefits of SS. I did get a reaming tool like Eastwood sells, but a fraction of the cost. Think I got it on Amazon.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #38

Yeah, you're right. My buddy told me the same thing. Niccop straightens pretty nice by hand and he said he rolled it even straighter on the floor with a 2x6.
I guess I owe some people some thanks for saving me some $$. Lol!
Old 03-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #39

Can anyone tell me where they hid the junction box for the 7way plug?
My 7 way wire goes thru the side of the pinbox mount and I dont see anywhere in the front storage compartment, the side propane area or anywhere in the basement/pass thru storage where the wires are running. And I got all the walls taken out I the basement and still ca t find anything
Old 03-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where they hid the junction box for the 7way plug?
My 7 way wire goes thru the side of the pinbox mount and I dont see anywhere in the front storage compartment, the side propane area or anywhere in the basement/pass thru storage where the wires are running. And I got all the walls taken out I the basement and still ca t find anything
Send Magnolia Tom a PM. He did his '16 377...different model, but it might help. I'll need to know too for when I start mine at the end of the month. So please post the answer if you get one from him!