Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #1

Installing Haloview RD7 Mini

Hi all,

I just received my Haloview RD7 mini and will be installing it on my trailer soon to replace the Furrion camera system that no longer wants to provide a signal as the trailer is moving. I like the Haloview system as the box on the roof makes the distance between the tx and rx closer. I also have a couple of the CA110 side view cameras on order and will install them when I have them. I am getting the side view cameras that are not part of the marker lights. I took measurements and talked to Haloviews excellent customer support to determine the marker light cameras would not work in my case. I have some questions but also want to mark out my installation plan here as well incase it can help someone in the future.

So to my questions

1) the roof mounted wire, does everyone who has one just use the tie downs that comes with the kits, is there any chance of additional roof issues due to the wire rubbing anything? Would I be better off using Eternabond tape on the wire. I am leaning more to the tie down points spaced about 5 ft apart and then have 2 for an excess length loop, I think this would work better if I ever wanted to move the system to a different trailer.

2) I am trying to figure out the best mounting in my truck cab, I have a 2019 Super duty, so I am going to try and use the little pocket thing on the top of the dash above the infotainment system. I have a few different options, but I would rather not leave the screen attached when I am not towing. I am first going to try a suction mount and a little dash pillow thing, I am also considering a built right mount for that area. What do you all do to mount the 7 inch screen? It appears to me that the center mount arm does not fit all the way to the top so requires tightening to the monitor.

I am going to put the remote transmitter near the front of my trailer. My plan is to place the transmitter on the roof about where I want it and see what my static signal is, once I am happy I will hard mount the box. secure the wire, make the excess loop on the roof above the camera. I have the shark fin for the furrion so I will reuse that as well.

For the side view cameras, I am planning on bolting them low down on the side of the trailer below the ridged side wall. I will paint the bolt hardware on the outside black to match the color better, on the inside of that I will use loctite and double nut the bolts to ensure they can not come off. Having the cameras that low will place them under the awning arm and should provide me with still good vision that I want. I will run the wiring to a ground access point and to the junction box where I think I have identified the marker light power wire so the cameras will only function when the rear camera would function and will not be an additional parasitic drain as I do not intend to use these for security.

As I do the installation (could be over multiple days depending on when I am due to get the side cameras) I will take pictures to post here, mostly of the way I am doing the side cameras, I think at this point the rear maybe well covered.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:58 PM   #2

So how did the install workout for you? I just installed mine yesterday. Any problem with the rooftop wire?
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
Hi all,

I just received my Haloview RD7 mini and will be installing it on my trailer soon to replace the Furrion camera system that no longer wants to provide a signal as the trailer is moving. I like the Haloview system as the box on the roof makes the distance between the tx and rx closer. I also have a couple of the CA110 side view cameras on order and will install them when I have them. I am getting the side view cameras that are not part of the marker lights. I took measurements and talked to Haloviews excellent customer support to determine the marker light cameras would not work in my case. I have some questions but also want to mark out my installation plan here as well incase it can help someone in the future.

So to my questions

1) the roof mounted wire, does everyone who has one just use the tie downs that comes with the kits, is there any chance of additional roof issues due to the wire rubbing anything? Would I be better off using Eternabond tape on the wire. I am leaning more to the tie down points spaced about 5 ft apart and then have 2 for an excess length loop, I think this would work better if I ever wanted to move the system to a different trailer.

2) I am trying to figure out the best mounting in my truck cab, I have a 2019 Super duty, so I am going to try and use the little pocket thing on the top of the dash above the infotainment system. I have a few different options, but I would rather not leave the screen attached when I am not towing. I am first going to try a suction mount and a little dash pillow thing, I am also considering a built right mount for that area. What do you all do to mount the 7 inch screen? It appears to me that the center mount arm does not fit all the way to the top so requires tightening to the monitor.

I am going to put the remote transmitter near the front of my trailer. My plan is to place the transmitter on the roof about where I want it and see what my static signal is, once I am happy I will hard mount the box. secure the wire, make the excess loop on the roof above the camera. I have the shark fin for the furrion so I will reuse that as well.

For the side view cameras, I am planning on bolting them low down on the side of the trailer below the ridged side wall. I will paint the bolt hardware on the outside black to match the color better, on the inside of that I will use loctite and double nut the bolts to ensure they can not come off. Having the cameras that low will place them under the awning arm and should provide me with still good vision that I want. I will run the wiring to a ground access point and to the junction box where I think I have identified the marker light power wire so the cameras will only function when the rear camera would function and will not be an additional parasitic drain as I do not intend to use these for security.

As I do the installation (could be over multiple days depending on when I am due to get the side cameras) I will take pictures to post here, mostly of the way I am doing the side cameras, I think at this point the rear maybe well covered.
I originally just used the 3M wire hold downs that came with my Haloview setup. They didn't make it a full season before the cable started to get some slack and several clamps came loose. I ran the cable through a stick of PVC pipe and taped it down every 18 inches or so with Eternabond tape. I like it better than the cable just laying on the roof. I put thin foam blocks under the PVC just to allow water to pass underneath. Not really sure that was necessary but it prevents the PVC from diverting water flow forward or back.

In the cab I found a 3d printable mount that allows me to hang my monitor over my rear view mirror.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote