Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

First time buyer needs advice

We pick up this beast on Friday....we are excited and a little nervous at the same time.

What advice would you offer concerning walk thru, extended warranty, what to know at closing, etc.

We've been tent camper for the last 40 years but excited to finally join the RV Camping ranks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
mpsmadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #2

I'm going to follow this feed since I may be upgrading from a pop-up camper by this weekend. I'm heading to the Grand Rapids, Michigan RV show and who knows what I'll walk away with. My wife wants to get something with a toilet in so that our three kids aren't dragging us to the restroom at 2 in the morning.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Congrats on your new rig. Looks like a 31DS .
I have a 2017 31DS and we love it, Video the walk through with your phone , I did I would have done that.
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
Congrats on your new rig. Looks like a 31DS .
I have a 2017 31DS and we love it, Video the walk through with your phone , I did I would have done that.
Jayco 29 MVP :-)

Old 01-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsmadge View Post
Jayco 29 MVP :-)

Anything you would do different during signing?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #6

Several driveway camping days testing.....

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #7

Definitely video everything the tech says. I used a DSLR and made several different 'movies' based on the area. So I have one for the engine, battery, electrical, kitchen, etc.

Bring a DVD with you and try the entertainment systems, fire up the GPS and take a look. Personally, I tool close to two hours for mine. The tech was happy to keep explaining, at least I think he was! Ask about winterizing unless you are going camping right away. And ask about de-winterizing when you are ready to go.

And enjoy! We just picked our Greyhawk 29ME a couple of days before Christmas. First trip in about 10 days!

Have fun,
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #8

I wouldn't pick it up in winter. Then you have no idea if the plumbing leaks. 3'rd RV in a row that supposedly went through PDI and leaked as soon as we used the sinks.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #9

I would suggest a PDI check list there are several on the forum.Get up on the roof make sure all the seams are level.Look for any abnormalities in the application of the roof.We did not do that and argued with Jayco for 1 1/2 years for replacement.Remember you only get one chance to pick your rig apart.Once you drive off the lot its Asta lavista baby from Jayco!Is a cool looking rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset .jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsmadge View Post
Anything you would do different during signing
Congrats on your new RV!

As I have found, there is a lot of good info for you on this forum. For example, there are a lot of previous posts mentioning the use of inspection forms (which you can readily find on the web) that give you more control over the predelivery inspection.

Plan on spending time there, and don't get rushed or let yourself be rushed.

About your above quote:
You might consider not paying the full amount until you're ready to drive it off the lot, if possible. There are stories of owners making the full purchase first and then finding issues during the inspection that have to be fixed before the RV can be driven home - meaning you can't take possession of it the day you buy it. Meanwhile, while the days pass and your RV is getting worked on, the bank isn't going to wait for its payments.

Just a thought...

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I would suggest a PDI check list there are several on the forum.Get up on the roof make sure all the seams are level.Look for any abnormalities in the application of the roof.We did not do that and argued with Jayco for 1 1/2 years for replacement.Remember you only get one chance to pick your rig apart.Once you drive off the lot its Asta lavista baby from Jayco!Is a cool looking rig!
Thank you...great advice. I've looked at the roof and it seems to be ok (I'll look again before we sign) but what exactly would be and automatic "stop the presses" kind of thing for the roof?

Good looking set up you have there in picture.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #12

On my roof the DICOR material had a ripple from a hasty installation!Sounds like your doing all the right stuff.Those videos suggestion sound awesome also.A guy on the forum posted his video on U tube.His problems got handled real fast. Thanks
Old 01-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #13

Do not believe the dealer if they say the PDI has been done. Have them walk through it with you. My dealer said it was done and clearly had not been done given the issues after sale.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #14
Site Team

Rips, tears, holes, or improperly applied sealant around seams, or anything that sticks up from the roof. We look at campers we are interested in at least twice. The first time is to see if we like the floor plan. Storage, where do we sit to relax inside, can I stand up in the shower without my head in the skylight. Will we be happy with the layout and design for several years, or do you have to compromise a lot. The second look is for anything that's not right. Fit and finish, broken, missing, damaged during build or transport. Does it have a spare tire, or an outside ladder. Look at it from different prospectives, and like you're paying a million dollars for it. Get the dealer to take care of any problems or concerns immediately.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #15

On are 16 Eagle RSTS we have had for 27 months.Was doing clean up and just noticed clear plastic protective covers on microwave and frig controls had never been removed lol.Just curious if yours got removed for PDI.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #16

If it's not in writing

With the signing, you can only go back on what is in writing. I was required to complete all paperwork prior to a delivery date. When I arrived and noticed problems, I was told that they could get to it in a few weeks. Benign enough, except I flew from NC to FL to pick it up and that was a one way ticket. After having to talk to the boss who was rather condescending, the repair was made. Anything else they promise you that is not in writing they will forget about instantaneously.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #17

That is a gorgeous looking rig! I have not done a PID in a MH, so you have features I am only familiar with via renting them. You want to test every feature, function, I would even request to take it for a drive to ensure it handles properly.

If it is winterize, have them hook a jug on antifreeze to the pump, and pressurize the systems. And let it sit while reviewing everything else. If the pump cycles, there is a leak. Depending on the leak, it may take a while before a pulse from the pump. Inquire, how to winterize and de-winterize. Inquire about where is the pump, and filter(s) are located. Many people are confused about how to fill the FW (fresh water) tank, so ask!

If there is a generator ask about how to use it, and put a load on it. Usually they stop working when the fuel tank reaches ¼ tank. Also ask about how and when to exercise the generator.

If it has a auto leveling system, spend plenty of time understanding it, again many people struggle with them, ask about how to recalibrate.

All the other systems, ask many many question, make sure how they work, as many items will work on both 12V DC and 120V AC. Some items will only work on a single power source. Go back to it if you have another question later. This reminds me you will have a power disconnect, make sure to understand how it works, as there are lots of parasite drains on the battery, and your battery will be dead within about 2 weeks, if not disconnected.

If there is a TV over the driver’s head, it will not work while driving, so come back here and we will tell you what to do to fix that issue, if the passengers need a little entertainment while in motion. I am sure the dealer will not make this MOD for you, but it is easy to make.

Some of the employees that do PDIs are very good at their job, and others just want you out the door fast, and do not tell you much.

Also do not be surprised that the dealer wants you to sign the paperwork first, then do the PID.

As for an extended warranty, I cannot tell you if it is worth it on a MH, on a bumper pull I would not get it. Most of the things that will go wrong, will be found in the first few trips, after that you may find an item periodically, and they will be fairly minor.

Slightly off topic a bit, also inquire about required maintenance and a maintenance schedule. For example, leaks due to caulking failures are not covered under warranty.

Happy travels!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Rips, tears, holes, or improperly applied sealant around seams, or anything that sticks up from the roof. We look at campers we are interested in at least twice. The first time is to see if we like the floor plan. Storage, where do we sit to relax inside, can I stand up in the shower without my head in the skylight. Will we be happy with the layout and design for several years, or do you have to compromise a lot. The second look is for anything that's not right. Fit and finish, broken, missing, damaged during build or transport. Does it have a spare tire, or an outside ladder. Look at it from different prospectives, and like you're paying a million dollars for it. Get the dealer to take care of any problems or concerns immediately.
Really good info, thank you.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That is a gorgeous looking rig! I have not done a PID in a MH, so you have features I am only familiar with via renting them. You want to test every feature, function, I would even request to take it for a drive to ensure it handles properly.

If it is winterize, have them hook a jug on antifreeze to the pump, and pressurize the systems. And let it sit while reviewing everything else. If the pump cycles, there is a leak. Depending on the leak, it may take a while before a pulse from the pump. Inquire, how to winterize and de-winterize. Inquire about where is the pump, and filter(s) are located. Many people are confused about how to fill the FW (fresh water) tank, so ask!

If there is a generator ask about how to use it, and put a load on it. Usually they stop working when the fuel tank reaches ¼ tank. Also ask about how and when to exercise the generator.

If it has a auto leveling system, spend plenty of time understanding it, again many people struggle with them, ask about how to recalibrate.

All the other systems, ask many many question, make sure how they work, as many items will work on both 12V DC and 120V AC. Some items will only work on a single power source. Go back to it if you have another question later. This reminds me you will have a power disconnect, make sure to understand how it works, as there are lots of parasite drains on the battery, and your battery will be dead within about 2 weeks, if not disconnected.

If there is a TV over the driver’s head, it will not work while driving, so come back here and we will tell you what to do to fix that issue, if the passengers need a little entertainment while in motion. I am sure the dealer will not make this MOD for you, but it is easy to make.

Some of the employees that do PDIs are very good at their job, and others just want you out the door fast, and do not tell you much.

Also do not be surprised that the dealer wants you to sign the paperwork first, then do the PID.

As for an extended warranty, I cannot tell you if it is worth it on a MH, on a bumper pull I would not get it. Most of the things that will go wrong, will be found in the first few trips, after that you may find an item periodically, and they will be fairly minor.

Slightly off topic a bit, also inquire about required maintenance and a maintenance schedule. For example, leaks due to caulking failures are not covered under warranty.

Happy travels!
Wow..thats a lot...thank you and I'll be asking later about the TV mod.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #20

Nothing new to add except to reinforce: TAKE YOUR TIME! Like others, video the walkthru. Or better, one person takes notes, the other person takes video.

Personally, I'd be willing to spend two hours or more going over every doggone inch. Up, down, in, and under! I'd strap a doggone GoPro to my forehead and record everything: opening doors, going under the coach.