Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
Site Team

For your further education...

There is one item that runs completely off the trailer's battery- the breakaway switch. Should your trailer ever completely disconnect from the tow vehicle and become a runaway, the plug will be pulled out from the switch and the trailer brakes will be applied using the trailer's battery for power.

I periodically pull the plug (when the trailer is parked and wheels chocked) on the breakaway switch to ensure this safety device is working properly. If it is, you can usually hear the brakes click, hum or make some kind of noise to show they're engaging. If you don't hear anything, have someone put their ear close to the wheel(s) and listen while you pull the plug. When the test is completed, re-insert the plug back into the switch.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #12

This is a great piece of information and only makes sense. If the connection were broken between the TV and the TT where would the brakes get their power from if there wasn't an independent source.

Are batteries for the TT standard equipment? I've never seen them listed among the "standards". I've seen battery trays listed, but not batteries.

Thanks!

mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoyb View Post
This is a great piece of information and only makes sense. If the connection were broken between the TV and the TT where would the brakes get their power from if there wasn't an independent source.

Are batteries for the TT standard equipment? I've never seen them listed among the "standards". I've seen battery trays listed, but not batteries.

Thanks!
In most cases the battery and initial filling of LP gas will be furnished by the dealer, not standard from the manufacturer.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote