Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Jay Flight vs. Hummingbird

Looking for some help as I am torn between purchasing a Jay Flight 174BH. dry weight 2890 or a Hummingbird 17RB. dry weight 2935.
I prefer the Jay Flight mainly because I can get in for a quick lunch break, with the slid of the Hummingbird this won’t be so quick or easy. Also like the bunks just for a place to throw stuff and keep it out of the way, there are only two of us so the extra sleeping is not needed. Like the looks of the hummingbird best and would like all thoughts on which to chose. Will the narrower more streamlined shape and extra 45 lbs. of the Hummingbird really be noticeable with tow vehicle rated to tow just 4400 lbs.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #2

We went through the same dilemma, but for us it was vs the 195RB. Our conclusions were that the Hummingbird had overall better build quality and details and looks, but the 195RB floor plan was far better for us. Note that some on this forum will also argue for aluminum over fiberglass, probably some the other way.

Personally, I think floor plan is the key to happy camping and many here have expressed the same.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

I just posted about my 145rb after going on a trip this weekend. The 174bh has it all over the 17rb imho. You have more storage space with the bunks and it looks like the overhead cabinets are bigger, more head room throughout the entire camper your not hitting your head or leaning it out of the way to do things. And one of my favorite features of the Jayflight SLX series is the counter space over the refrigerator is really a big plus to us. We prepped meals, washed veggies and put them in the skillet without having to remove the sink cover. My wife made hamburgers for us from ground beef and was able to keep her hands clean, and I went in made a K cup of coffee for myself while she was doing so. We washed our dishes and laid them out on a drying mat. At night our phones, eye glasses, keys are put there so we don't have to fumble for them. I cant stress how nice that little chunk of real estate is we looked in other campers that had omg wow kitchens but didn't have that 2 foot by 2 foot area. I will say that if you wake up at different times or have to crawl over one another in the middle of the night the 195 rb might be a better choice. I will say that I wish I had a north south bed instead of a east west bed. Good luck in your search
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
I just posted about my 145rb " I cant stress how nice that little chunk of real estate is we looked in other campers that had omg wow kitchens but didn't have that 2 foot by 2 foot area. I will say that if you wake up at different times or have to crawl over one another in the middle of the night the 195 rb might be a better choice. I will say that I wish I had a north south bed instead of a east west bed. Good luck in your search
Thanks for all the thoughts, i’m with you, would pick a N/S twin bed layout for sure. Did see a post that showed a mod of a rear bath iPod that had converted the queen to twins. One bunk was pretty short. Now if I could just get my dw to sleep curled up in a ball.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

One other reason we went with a tin and stick is reparability. If you have a small opps with a tin and stick like the SLX series repairs are a lot easier. If a tree limb falls on a stick built wood has crushing and splintering going for it fiberglass and foam don't the wood structure will sacrifice its self for you. I did see a 185rb flipped over in a pic along the road it still looked like a trailer. I've seen the fancy fiberglass and foam gel coat beauties crack open like a egg and go to pieces like a 16 year old girl's first break up. While your not riding in it wood has a lot of good properties. Plus tin and sticks are recyclable.
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

We have been really happy with our 195 because of the bed layout; the counter space for either meal prep or TV swiveling or dish drying and the accessibility of the dinette and bathroom for lunch breaks.. Going across the Great Plains rest areas are pretty thinly spaced. Storage is never an issue either and the front window is nice.

Your priorities may of course differ, Stick and tin but after 100,000 miles it still rolls and nothing is falling apart. The Hummingbird looks cooler for sure.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:59 PM   #7

New 2020 builds have an option for hung fiberglass walls!
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 PM   #8

You don't say what your Tow Vehicle is other than it has a 4400lb tow capacity. I would check with the towing guidelines for it and see if there are any frontal area restrictions. I suspect the Hummingbird has slightly less frontal area and therefore may be a better choice in that respect.

Owned a 195RB for almost 5 years and for many of the reasons others have stated in earlier post and we wanted the walk-around bed. Had we not wanted to upgrade we'd still be tugging it down the road - it was a very good unit with very few issues.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Jay flight vs Hummingbird? Good question as I have a Hummingbird 17RB I like it in many respects especially the weight factor, the layout and esp the fiberglass roof in place of rubber. Another good/bad thing is the bed. If there are 2 of you one has to crawl over the other If night duty calls but then you are sleeping above the elements in a full hard sided unit
The jay flight is nice in the warmth but not ion the cold or rain as the ends are canvas and will drip
Your decision is only yours and you can only decide on the layout and size
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #10

We chose the 17RB due to its overall size and weight. We pull with a Toyota Tacoma and it pulls it just fine. I also like that it's only 7' wide allowing you to see around it better. The slide is no problem, if we need to stop for lunch it only take 4 seconds to put the slide out. It has a full bathroom that is also accessible
with the slide in. We added some storage with shelves above the bed ends and in the bathroom. We have camped for more than a week with no storage problems. We had a pop up for years and enjoyed it a lot, but would not go back to canvas, knowing we don't have to. Good luck making your choice. There is also a Hummingbird Owners Forum on Facebook that could give you more info about them.

Keep Smiling.
gware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by txauditr-ret. View Post
Jay flight vs Hummingbird? Good question as I have a Hummingbird 17RB I like it in many respects especially the weight factor, the layout and esp the fiberglass roof in place of rubber. Another good/bad thing is the bed. If there are 2 of you one has to crawl over the other If night duty calls but then you are sleeping above the elements in a full hard sided unit
The jay flight is nice in the warmth but not ion the cold or rain as the ends are canvas and will drip
Your decision is only yours and you can only decide on the layout and size
174BH does not have canvas, it's all hard sided.
I decided for the 195RB over a Hummingbird, big factor was NOT crawling over each other. That said, I thought the general build quality of the Hummingbird was better. Each series has their advantages, so it's a matter of which are most important to you.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Still thinking.

Well I’m still looking but had settled on a 17RB, then a late model mini drop 170S became available, both have the same floor plan and dimensions are almost identical. So now I wonder who else has conciderd both and why you went with Jayco. Have to decide quick before they are both gone.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #13

If both have the same floor plan and both have the solid roof.i would be giving a lot of consideration to my tow vehicle. I have an acadia whose limitations are 5200# plus a 2500 Silverado. The acadia has fewer miles and can pull the 17rb with no problems.
What are your towvehicle limitations, then look at the overall size you want.
Another factor for us is we did not want the toilet across from the sink and kitchen area nor the toilet and shower as a combination.
Factors I don’t like about hummingbird is no fan in bathroom and no fan above the bed.
Let us know what you decide on
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #14

I’d have to go stick and tin. Much tougher! I’ve had both. Is there a way you can go with a 195? I don’t think you would regret it. Before buying any east-west bed unit, practice at home climbing over each other and see if you can live with it. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #15

I have a Hummingbird 17RK and other than the bed it's great. We ended up using the dinette as a second bed just to avoid the climbing over each other in the middle of the night.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #16

we had a 174BH and loved it. We up-sized to a 2015 23BHS as my wife was sick of climbing over me every morning. We had an 8" residential mattress so she was closer to the over head cabinets when trying to sit up.

The 174BH has a ridiculous amount of storage for it's size, and yes the counter space is plentiful. We had both trailers in the driveway for a week between the private sales and the things kept coming out of the 174BH and we were struggling to find places to put them in the 23BHS.

You'll really appreciate the bunk storage and pantry as well as the overall ceiling height.

Just my 2 cents!
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #17

To those who have mentioned the problems of crawling over someone in an east/ west bed, I agree. My wife doesn’t mind crawling over but I sleep light so will always wake up. I have drawn up plans to convert the bed in both the models I have in mind to twin bunks. My wife is short so she will get the 64 inch long one on the kitchen side and I will have a 74 inch bunk on the dinette side. It will be extended at night by modifying the dinette back cushion removable. bunks will be 30 inches wide with approximaty 14 inches between then and a night stand between at the front of trailer.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #18

Glad you have already done a viable work around to the climbing over problem. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #19

The east west bed have one advantage. Makes climbing in bed more fun
Old 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #20

Word has it that the Hummingbird line is being discontinued and will be replaced with a new Jay Feather Micro for 2021.......

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote