Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #1

LED Awning Light Issues??

This may be, and fingers crossed it is, a simply fix, but has anyone else had issues with their LED Awning Lights being extremely dim? We have a new to us, 2015 Whitehawk 28 DSBH. I was really excited about the LED lights until I noticed that they're barely useful.

Is this something that the previous owner could have turned down (understand that's a dumb question)? I find it hard to believe that LED's would burn out in 2 years time.

Aside from replacing the entire strip and splicing the wires, are there any other options?

I've tried connected to battery and power, with no difference in brightness.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Browny0386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Previous owner might have installed inline dimmer switch. Usually wireless remote to control it.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

On my fiver I replaced the whole strip. After 2 yrs it had started to die off in sections. I used an RGBWW with remote from Amazon and 3m trim tape to stick it in place. I sealed the controller and placed it up near the end of the strip with 3m tape. Works great and I can turn it off while leaving the step light on. It remembers the settings after I turn it off with the inside switch too.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #4

I had a similar issue with my 2016 Whitehawk 27DSRL. The LED awning lights would go significantly dim after a few minutes. I had Camping World investigate it last fall during my last warranty repair. They repaired the problem and my LED awning lights now stay bright. Here is the CW work order language which unfortunately is vague:

"Tested for power at lights. Found 12.5V. Tested for power at lights after going dim several minutes later. Found 8.6V. Pulled switch, found 12.5V at switch. Found a short red wire with heat shrink on it something small and square in it. Wire is about 3 inches long before it connects to light wiring. Found only 8.6V after heat shrink. Called Angie at Jayco Tech Support, she said she doesn't know what it is and to send a picture. We are waiting for a response. Emily rec'd part."

They installed the mystery part and this weekend I tested my awning lights while camping. No dimming issue, so the red heat shrinked square thing was the culprit. Pull your switch to find it and contact Jayco to see if they will send you a new part.