Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #21

Well bigbird, according to Wolverine we are all obsessed with our 228's, but I have to say it feels great...

Wolverine, congrats on the sale of your old trailer, and I hope you get your 228 soon so you can see why we are such big fans of this trailer, before winter shows itself.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #22

Here's hoping we add one more to the 228 owners group! When we bought our 228 I had asked about the grill mount on the back. I was told that the mount used to be on the side for older trailers but the heat from the grill could either a) discolor the awning from the heat or b) actually melt the awning if hot enough. This is mostly for the ones with the manual awnings that could be tilted down and brought closer to the grill. Not sure if this was true, but what I was told. The electric awning is definately worth the upgrade as well as the electric jack. The technology package is also well worth the money if you have kids who would watch movies in the evenings before bed or during crummy weather. As well make sure Jayco specifies that they are installing the sky light over the shower. Ours is a 2012 model that did not come with it but others with the 2012 model did get the sky light. It seems to be standard now with the 2013 model but I do not think it is specified in the brochure. You may want to confirm if yours would comes with it, very helpful
If you use the shower and are over about 5'8" tall. You may also want to confirm what propane setup you will get. Some people like myself have a single 30 lbs tank while others get the dual 20 lbs tank setup. I would of prefered the dual 20 lbs tanks for peace of mind incase we were to run out of gas in the middle of the night. Other than that we have been very happy with ours. We are a family of five who fit in the trailer comfortably. Everyone has their own bed without having to make down a table or pull out a couch while still keeping the weight low. It has been well worth the money. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #23

Wolverine, the tech package has been removed for the 2013 model year, I got it in mine because I originally ordered a 2012, but got a 2013. Tech package was a HDTV and outside speakers with the radio and DVD/CD player. Now the outside speakers are standard, and tech package discontinued, they do offer the tv as an order-able option. Skylight is listed a 2013 addition but as Ry said some late 2012's got it, I'm 6ft 6 and need the skylight to fit in the shower a bit more comfortably, but the downside is if all the curtains are drawn and you get up to use the facilities, you get blinded when opening the door, and light floods thru the trailer. New brochure also lists a hitch light, not sure if I have one on my '13 have to look next time I see her.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #24

I have to order the television as an option which is no big deal. They do have the skylight in the 2013 that I will be ordering on Thursday. I will be getting every option other than the oven and the grill. The jury is still out on the 2" lift kit. I am waffling badly on whether to get it or not. I see the good and I see the bad, I just can't make up my mind. I know you have all graciously added your 3 cents, still undecided. The other thing I am looking at is a whole new WD hitch set-up. I am looking at the Reese hitches with the Dual Cam sway control. I am also looking at the Equalizer sway control hitch also. They both are good products, just have to make a decision. Maybe you guys can throw some more money into the hat and make another suggestion. I had a rather cheap WD hitch before I became enlightened as a TT owner. I made the guy a deal that bought my 19H, he took everything including the last roll of toiletpaper and a bar of Irish Spring. I am completely starting from scratch so I can hopefully get exactly what I want. I am even buying a Weber Baby Q !!! Appreciate all the feedback. My wife is sure getting jealous of all the time I am spending with you guys. Like I said, heading to Middlebury, IN on Thursday to order the trailer of my dreams. Any last minute suggestions are always welcome. If someone would like to pay for the TT also, I will pay your way !!!!

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Site Team

Enjoy the new 228!

FLOORPLAN 228
Weights
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3,760
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 425
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 4,950
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,190
Measurements
Exterior Length 25' 9"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 120"
Interior Height 78"
Tank Capacities
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 28.5
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 22.5
Other
Sleeping Capacity

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #26

You can probably get by without the oven Wolverine. We have one and haven't used it yet. We have a toaster oven that we use outside(just two of us) to keep the trailer cooler. Might use it in colder weather. Our dealer sold the equalizer hitch but I heard good things about the reese dual cam. After searching around more it seemed that everbody was also happy with there equalizer so thats what we got. They were going to sell me the 600 pd hitch (in stock) but after calling the company and telling them my (loaded trailer) tonque weights they agreed the 1000 pd was a better choice and that way i could still use it if i upsized to a bigger trailer. I suppose the 2" lift would have a advantage of being better it you plan on using a waste tote. My tote sits a little higher then i'd like. A word of caution, if your wife thinks you spend to much time here you might be getting obsessed.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #27

We never used the oven in our 19H. We would rather have the extra cabinet space that you get without the oven. I like the Equalizer hitch as I have heard very good things about it. I also would go with the 1000# model. I never have used a tote to dump the black or grey tank as we have never filled it up. We use the facilities at the parks during the day and the TT toilet at night (4 of us). If that is the only reason to go with a 2" lift, I would not need it. Besides, if I need to empty it, I have two boys that will gladly bucket brigade it to the dump station.........just kidding. As for the obsession, I am infected and have sold my soul to the bluejay in the upper right corner of the trailer and my wife is along for the ride.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #28

"LET THE TOW BEGIN"
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #29

Wolverine, welcome to the infected, the good news is the side effects are minor, but it is intensely infectious to anyone you speak to about Jayco and camping. Most who are infected manage to live a long and healthy if not enriched life from the time spent camping together. Good luck Thursday and I hope you get exactly what you want.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #30

Well I have officially purchased a 2013 Jay Feather 228!!!! I got everything I wanted along with a great price.
Should be taking delivery the first or second week of October. Already planning a fall trip to break it in.
I even got the Equalizer hitch right from the dealer after being told by a rookie salesman they didn't do hitches.
So now I have to sit and wait while the rest of you are having a blast camping this weekend. That's what I get for
Listing my old trailer thinking nobody would buy it before Labor Day.......LOL !!!!!

Happy Camping.!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #31

Well I have officially ordered a 2013 Jay Feather 228!!!! I got everything I wanted along with a great price.
Should be taking delivery the first or second week of October. Already planning a fall trip to break it in.
I even got the Equalizer hitch right from the dealer after being told by a rookie salesman they didn't do hitches.
So now I have to sit and wait while the rest of you are having a blast camping this weekend. That's what I get for
Listing my old trailer thinking nobody would buy it before Labor Day.......LOL !!!!!

Happy Camping.!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Well I have officially ordered a 2013 Jay Feather 228!!!! I got everything I wanted along with a great price.

Happy Camping.!!!!!!

I listed my previous TT for sale on Craigslist after ordering our current Jayco. To my surprise it sold in one day, so we too were trailerless in September of 09. I dusted off the tents and we still went camping til the new trailer came in in October.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #33

What are those tents you speak off?????

Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #34

Congrats on the purchase of 228 Wolverine!!! I wish we could camp in October! But by then we will dipping down below 0 Celsius unfortunately. I am already looking to winterized mine Congrats again. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #35

Way to go Wolverine, now comes the hard part, the waiting game... time to start your lists of needs since you gave everything away with your old trailer. Have fun. We look forward to pics and stories when you get her and from your first trip. Congrats, and enjoy...

Not to rub it in but the wife and kids are taking off in about 3 hours for their Labor Day camping trip to Dansville Ny for the annual balloon festival. It has been an annual trip for us but the first to camp with our camper, the first of many.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #36

Isaduke, we have the list and plan on shopping today to start getting back what we sold. Have fun on your trip.

RY, sorry to hear that the trips have ceased. You need to move somewhere warmer like Ontario.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #37

Thanks Wolverine... happy shopping.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #38

Southern Ontario especially. We're on the same lattitude as northern California. Sorry Ry-guy now i'm rubbing it in.
equalizer 1000# hitch