Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Under the Counter Shelves in 27DSRL

We have a 2015 White Hawk 27DSRL and both shelves under the counter collapsed on a recent trip. One shelf is to the right as you enter the trailer and the other is under the sink. These two shelves are connected in the middle but have no support at that location??? They rely completely on support from the outer edges of each shelf which uses staples into 1/8" paneling. Whoever designed this is a complete idiot. We stored plastic plates and bowels on these shelves and the weight apparently exceeded the capability of of these shelves (or should I say shelf since they're connected in the middle so are acting as one shelf). I was going to install support in the middle but would really like to add support under the outside edge of the shelf by the door. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to access this space. Has anyone else had this problem or could offer suggestions as to how to fix it? Thank you for your help.

Jeff
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Some pictures would be helpful. It is hard to picture this. Can you post a few pics?
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

If it ever stops raining I'll try to get out there and take some pics. However, there is a lot of other "stuff" under the shelf like the fresh water pump, water hoses, and a heater duct so it might not be clear what the situation is but I'll try to get good pics.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #4

I took some pics but can't figure out how to upload them. It asks for a URL. How do I know. It's in my pictures folder.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #5

Same trailer, same problem. Open the door under the sink and then remove panel. You can also pull the drawers out to gain access. You can also pop the shelf panel itself out. Its only held by a few staples. Then you fix frame and staple the shelf back in.
210craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #6

Thanks. I did remove the panel below the shelf under the sink. This allowed me to attach a support under the middle of the common "beam" that acted as the back of both shelves. I attached it to the beam with a right angle bracket. This way the back of both shelves are supported in the center. I can't believe there wasn't some sort of support there from the factory. If I could have figured out how to remove the drawers that would have been a big help.

What caused my problem was that the staples along the outside wall on the other shelf pulled out of the shelf and it collapsed bringing the other shelf with it. I fixed that by pre-drilling through the cleat on the wall and through the shelf and driving three screws through the cleat and into the shelf.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

Yea not that great of a design. There are clips on the slides that push in releases drawers
210craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

Thanks. That's good to know.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

On my Hummingbird I had a kitchen shelf collapse. The sides were supported by a 1/2 x 1/2 strip screwed to the 1/8 ply. I used 1x2 strips supported by additional 1x2's. Every thing was glued up with Liquid Nails. The new supports are a tight fit which should help hold every thing in place.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote