Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Fookoo WiFi backup camera

(yes, that really is what it's called... "Fookoo")

Has anyone had any experience with this camera?

For the money, ($80) it seems to be well made, but I haven't evaluated its performance yet. What attracted me is that it's WiFi, so you can display the view on a phone, tablet, etc. (It creates its own self-contained hot-spot, so no external service is needed and there are no data charges)

The instructions are minimal, but, as far as I can see, it's plug-and-play. Feed it 12V and let your phone find it, and it's good to go.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried one - maybe before I drill holes and mount it :-)

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

I've never heard of it but would be interested in your thoughts after some use.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

I tried one just like it last week and sent it back. Would not pick up from the rear of my trailer to my truck. Beware of cheap wireless camera's.

Try it.... if it works well, then I will buy one.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #4

I have one (not your brand) but it works just fine. 12V from center clearance light (parking lights have to be on for the camera to send WiFi signal) Installed camera with 3M trim tape (no drilling). TT is 30', distance to front seat is 45'. Both phone and tablet pick up signal from camera, and picture has just a little buffering, but not a show stopper for the dough. I only use it to monitor my utility trailer, that I occasionally pull behind my TT. Sometimes for backing. Probably not the best choice if you want to "continuously" monitor the rear of your RV, but a cost effective alternative if you understand the limitations of a WiFi connection.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #5

What brand please and a link? thanks
Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #6

Here's what I have. I like it. Reaches from cab to rear of 33' trailer with very little issue.

WiFi Magnetic Hitch Camera for Easy Hitching of Trailers, Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels | RVS-83112-WiFi | Rear View Safety https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3UW99I..._IrTDEbD410RQT
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:55 AM   #7

Go to E-bay or Amazon - search - "WiFi rear view camera" . Mine was under 30 bucks, had decent Amazon customer reviews. (sorry, couldn't post ythe link)
Old 03-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #8

I paid around $69 for the one I returned last week. It wouldn't work at 21 feet. I won't buy another cheap one.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

OK, I finally realised that I never followed up on my original post, and, since a couple of people had asked for my thoughts:

Mounting the camera was easy, just a couple of screws... I mounted it above the centre ID light, not below as many suggest... simply because there's a wooden fame member up there, to give a more solid mount.

Electrical installation was a little more challenging - don't believe the bit where they tell you that "all our RVs are prewired for cameras, you just have to pull out the wire that's already there."
This is nothing more than creative marketing.
Alternative facts. A lie, if you prefer...

Eventually, I did the soldering-iron-on-top-of-a-wobbly-ladder bit, and tapped into the 12v and ground for the ID light, and filled up all the holes with waterproofing goop

All that effort, though, was certainly worth it. The camera uses an off-the-shelf app to display on any handy wi-fi device... If you kept your old phone when you upgraded last, this is an ideal use for it.

I get a good picture, which can be flipped to "mirror" mode if you have trouble thinking backwards...ranger was very impressive, I was concerned about the signal reaching to the front seat of the Jeep, but I still get a clear signal from inside the house, maybe 75 feet way.

For a cheap camera, I'm quite impressed

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #10

Ian,

Thank you for the review. I'm interested in this as it is a way more cost effective solution to the Furrion system. We upgraded this year from a popup to a 32' TT.

Does it work well as a traffic monitor while towing? I understand that the range can be limited when moving. My distance from rear of trailer to cab would be a little less than 50'. Have you tried this?

How much signal delay is there? Some cameras have significant delay between when an object is moving behind you and when you see it in the camera.

How does it work at night when backing in? In other words, does it have night vision? We rarely arrive before dark.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera, wifi