Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Furrion TV's

I don't really have a dog in this fight since I do not have a Jayco product. But I was helping my buddy with his Seneca Class C. It seems that he has not been able to watch campground cable.

I did the normal troubleshooting. All cables checked fine, the wiring was correct, the booster was off, he received crystal clear OTA channels so there was no reason for cable TV not to work.

He called yesterday from the campground and all channels were snowy and unwatchable.

TVs must have a QAM tuner in order to receive digital cable signals. I could not find anything in the online manual for his TV. On a hunch I called the toll free number for Furrrion. I was informed that no Furrion TVs have a QAM tuner. You can thank Jayco for going cheap on the TVs it buys.

Anyways maybe this will save somebody some time chasing something that was never designed to work with digital campground cable.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #2

Glad I chose not to get the Furrion TV from the dealer when it was offered. I wound up buying a used Sharp TV on Craigslist for $40 for my TT and it works perfect on cable and OTA channels.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #3

My rig came with another "offbrand" Sansui, but at least they all have the QAM tuner. Nothing but the best for us RVers.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #4

Furrion TV's

Mine came with 3 Furrion TVs and 1 Roku TV. I have not had any problems over the last year (15+ campgrounds) with any of them picking up digital channels from campground cable. It actually says how many digital vs analog channels found during the channel scan.

Edit: not saying they are a great product, and I can’t stand the Roku TV’s menu interface, but I haven’t had any issues.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #5

If a campground uses unencrypted digital cable, then a TV that has a QAM tuner should allow you to watch the programs on cable.

If a campground uses encrypted digital cable, then the campground should supply a set top box.

If a campground still uses analog cable, then you don't need a QAM tuner or set top box.

This is how it was explained to me. Notice we are talking about cable and not Over The Air (OTA) digital TV.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

More Simply Stated; Furrion or Jensen TVs =
Attached Thumbnails
poopie.jpeg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #7

There are also 2 different cable formats. As I mentioned on a previous thread FT WILDERNESS had to provide converters to many guests when DIRECT-TV (WDW's provider) switched formats. Some people got all the channels with no problem, others, across multiple RV brands, had to get the converter. As far as I know they may still have the converters available for use.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #8

NTSC vs ATSC vs QAM

I am having the same issue with both my Furrion TVs. According to the Furrion website my TVs support NTSC (analog) and ATSC(digital). ATSC is for digital "broadcast" (over-the-air) and is required by the FCC on all new TVs sold in the US. QAM is for digital "cable" is is not required by the FCC although many TVs today are including QAM tuners. So I have no problem receiving a digital station over the air, but digital cable turns up "no signal" or very snowy.

So, looks like I will be buying a QAM tuner.
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #9

Can anyone help me ... I have a 2018 Jayco Rocky Mountain Edition trailer with the Furrion TV and IRV 32 stereo... I can NOT get the ceiling speakers to play when watching TV channels ... I know to go to HDMI CEC and search device list to find the IRV32 but I get the message that no CEC device was found ... I am exhausted trying to figure this out on my own... FYI I have called both local camping world service departments they are of no help unless I want to make an appointment several weeks from now to bring it in ... for the love of all summer will be gone by then ...
CCKRIVUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamon View Post
I am having the same issue with both my Furrion TVs. According to the Furrion website my TVs support NTSC (analog) and ATSC(digital). ATSC is for digital "broadcast" (over-the-air) and is required by the FCC on all new TVs sold in the US. QAM is for digital "cable" is is not required by the FCC although many TVs today are including QAM tuners. So I have no problem receiving a digital station over the air, but digital cable turns up "no signal" or very snowy.

So, looks like I will be buying a QAM tuner.

Depending on your rig model, look for an ATSC amplifier switch. It is hard to find in a dark corner possibly on a switch plate that mounts a coax cable connection. It could be a tiny micro-switch button that is hard to find without a flashlight. Turn it off and your cable TV will light up free and clear with a sharp picture. Not long ago we made a road trip where a box of pasta bumped into that switch.
Took me some time to remember why my Cable TV went south and had to go to re-discover that stupid switch.

Furrion TV's are not the greatest but the biggest effect on picture quality is the signal's source. I was complaining about the TV, not realizing that it was our local hillbilly phone/cable company until I plugged in Roku and our Verizon Jet-Pac for data and VIOLA! A real High Def TV picture!!
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote