Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Greyhawk Prestige, 2 A/C’s, 30 amp?

Hey folks. I have a 2018 Ghawk Prestige with 2 A/C’s. One recently went out. Kaput. My local dealer’s service manager asked me why I had only 30 amp’s for 2 A/C units. He looked at me like I was stupid (which I am).

I replied that I had no idea; they sold it to me that way. I asked him whether he had ever seen a Prestige before. He ignored that question.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Is the amperage too low to support 2 A/C units? If so, why the hell did Jayco build them this way?

Thanks in advance.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

They need a new service manager. You have a built in Power Management System that allows the rig to operate that way. It's even an option on the regular GREYHAWK, has been for 2 or 3 years.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Good question. They no longer sell coaches. Only travel trailers. Shipped all their coaches to Dixie RV.

These are the same guys that talked me out of upgrading to a Seneca. Told me that they are a “nightmare” to service.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Good question. They no longer sell coaches. Only travel trailers. Shipped all their coaches to Dixie RV.

These are the same guys that talked me out of upgrading to a Seneca. Told me that they are a “nightmare” to service.
I liked working on my 08 SENECA better than working on my 01 DESIGNER since things weren't as compact. Sounds like the they aren't well trained.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They need a new service manager. You have a built in Power Management System that allows the rig to operate that way. It's even an option on the regular GREYHAWK, has been for 2 or 3 years.
That might be... but the OPs question is still valid... That rig should never have been built as a 30 amp, with 2 A/Cs, and all the other electric appliances... it should be a 50 amp system. I feel it's definitely a poor engineering design, power management or not...

But, apparently Jayco is still hiring their engineers from the McDonalds school of failed burger flippers...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:34 PM   #6

I tend to agree.

Jayco can call it whatever they want, but the system consistently fails. At least in my experience.

Any other Prestige owners questioning the wisdom of a deluxe coach with 30 amp?
Old 07-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Any other Prestige owners questioning the wisdom of a deluxe coach with 30 amp?
I actually questioned it on a standard coach, like mine, and started a discussion thread about it a few weeks ago.

Even in my rig, with one A/C and a 30 amp service (and no power management system), it's really easy to exceed the 30 amp maximum, just using standard appliances and everyday items. I questioned why all rigs today aren't 50 amp.

Of course the answer, anything to save a few bucks by Jayco... safety be damned.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #8

I had a Greyhawk with the 30 amp 2 AC system. It worked well and each AC is only 9.5 amps if I recall correctly. The problem is your AC unit itself. It's probably a Coleman and they give a lot of trouble with going out early. If you get yourself a new AC unit it should be fine. Grumpy is right the power management will shed load if it needs to. It never happened to me, but those 2 AC kept me plenty cool in 100 degree weather. Use your amp meter near the entrance and watch the amps go up as you add load. You'll get a better feel for the system.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:08 AM   #9
Site Team

Virtually every mfg of mh’s put 2 ac’s on some offerings of Class A and C’s with the power management system that prevents both starting at the same time. Especially rigs less than 15 years old, when this technology was used in RV’s.
I am sitting here looking out my window at my neighbors 08 Fleetwood Bounder class A With 30a and 2 ac’s. He says he has not had any problems with it.
Many mfg’s even had power sharing systems to prevent vacuum cleaners and water heaters from being turned on at the same time.
There was a time when 50a service was rare believe it or not.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
But, apparently Jayco is still hiring their engineers from the McDonalds school of failed burger flippers...
WINNEBAGO has been using a PMS for years and as NORTY said many others do to. Also THOR & JAYCO are the only ones that I know of that even offers a 2nd a/c in a class "C" (2-11,000's) 22,000 BTU total over the Industry Standard of 15,000.

Quote:
Of course the answer, anything to save a few bucks by Jayco... safety be damned.
Do you actually believe that a PMS is cheaper than a 30' piece of 50 amp cord? The internal wiring in the rig is the same, just one less breaker. Also the PMS system is an approved ELEC CODE item so there is no safety issue.

Bottom line in this whole discussion nobody forced the OP or anybody else to buy the dual a/c option.......
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
WINNEBAGO has been using a PMS for years and as NORTY said many others do to. Also THOR & JAYCO are the only ones that I know of that even offers a 2nd a/c in a class "C" (2-11,000's) 22,000 BTU total over the Industry Standard of 15,000.

Do you actually believe that a PMS is cheaper than a 30' piece of 50 amp cord? The internal wiring in the rig is the same, just one less breaker. Also the PMS system is an approved ELEC CODE item so there is no safety issue.

Bottom line in this whole discussion nobody forced the OP or anybody else to buy the dual a/c option.......
WRONG. 50 amp is and increase in wire size from 10 ga to 6 ga. That increases the wire cost 4 x's. The 50 amp has a larger panel with more spaces and thicker buss bars. That increases the cost of the panel. 2 pole 50 amp breaker cost more than a 1 pole 30 amp.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

First, it would also require a different transfer switch, wouldn't it. Then an upgraded panel for the 50 amp, dual pole. It wouldn't be just the wire...

The most important point, putting in a 50 amp service would provide up to 12,000 watts of power, instead of the 3,600 watts from the 30 amp. If you're worried about safety, and not overloading the service, doesn't that make sense?

And lastly, you want to put the blame on the buyer for buying a dual A/C rig, and not a marginally engineered system? Really?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
WRONG. 50 amp is and increase in wire size from 10 ga to 6 ga. That increases the wire cost 4 x's. The 50 amp has a larger panel with more spaces and thicker buss bars. That increases the cost of the panel. 2 pole 50 amp breaker cost more than a 1 pole 30 amp.
I forgot all about the transfer switch

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
And lastly, you want to put the blame on the buyer for buying a dual A/C rig, and not a marginally engineered system? Really?
WINNEBAGO has used the same type system since at least 2015 on it's class "B" rigs so I guess their engineers don't know what they are doing either. Those rigs are over $200,000 and only have a 30 amp service..
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #15

I have 2 ACs and it is a must when its above 90 degrees outside to keep it comfortable or even cold if you want.

Both ACs running pull ~17 amps. You do have the quick amp burst when they cut on and I've never had both cut on at the same time nor an issue one turning on while the other is running. You do have to do your own power management though to make sure you don't go over 30 (or close to it IMO). Such as:
turn off all ACs if you use microwave
turn off all ACs if you run hair dryer
Don't run electric water heater with both ACs (I foobared this once and left electric water heater on and it trashed water heater control board https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ire-60265.html)

Just be aware of heavy amp usage and manage the power draw. Most of the time I just turn the temp to 85 degrees vs turning the AC unit off as using any high draw systems only lasts a few minutes and I don't need to fumble around with getting the switch in the right place. I had both ACs running all day in Moab, UT when it was 110 in the shade.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #16

I didn't notice anyone mention that a change from 30 amp to 50 amp requires a larger generator to be installed. That wouldn't be cheap. Also, I recently added a breaker to my 30 amp rig for a water heater mod I did. The distribution panel was a 50 amp model so they may just put those in as standard.

I am totally happy with my 30 amp Greyhawk with 2 airs. I mostly boondock and this rig was a major upgrade from my old Lance camper. I don't mind in the least having to shut down one ac to run a hair dryer or whatever. After all, I am "roughing it". Small consolation.

If you have 50 amp service can you run 2 air conditioners, which typically are larger units than those in 30 amp rigs, plus a microwave and water heater all at the same time or do you have to manage your power also?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
WINNEBAGO has used the same type system since at least 2015 on it's class "B" rigs so I guess their engineers don't know what they are doing either. Those rigs are over $200,000 and only have a 30 amp service..

Class B's have two A/Cs?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

If you have 50 amp service can you run 2 air conditioners, which typically are larger units than those in 30 amp rigs, plus a microwave and water heater all at the same time or do you have to manage your power also?
On a 50 amp system, you have two legs of 50 amps each, versus one leg of 30 amps. So, 14 amps each for two A/Cs, 14 for the water heater, another 13 for the micro, gets you in the 55 amp range.. plenty of excess available for other electrical items.

Or, as I stated above 3,600 watts available versus 12,000 watts...
Old 07-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Class B's have two A/Cs?
No, but they are all electric cooking, Induction top, Convection oven..

The point is, at $200,000 why not 50 amp if it's all based on $$$$.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

The point is, at $200,000 why not 50 amp if it's all based on $$$$.

So, you think, even with $200K rigs, they don't cut production costs?