Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #1

How much movement in the slide is normal?

I've spent an inordinate amount of time on the internet trying to learn how a slide should operate under normal circumstances, and have come up with nothing.

Yesterday DW and I picked up the trailer for our trip to the coast this weekend, and she mentioned that the slide sure moves a lot when it's going out. Like the furniture moves around a lot (we have a couch and dinette in the slide), and the whole thing looks like it's torquing itself apart. It only happens for the first 6-12 inches of travel, but those are some rough inches.

The bottom of the slide pushes out first, causing it to tilt up slightly, then when the top "catches up" with the bottom, it levels out and rides the rest of the way pretty smooth, then the top actually stops just before the bottom creating a slight "tilt" as it locks out at the end of travel. I never really thought much about it until yesterday. During our PDI when we bought it, the tech (of course) said it was normal. But then he said a lot of things that turned out to be wrong and not "normal", so I trust him about as far as I can throw him, and he's a pretty big guy...

There's nothing wrong with the slide as far as I can tell. Everything is intact; the couch is fine, the dinette is fine, the windows are fine, the whole thing is level, as far as I can tell, the walls are fine... And when the slide is out, everything is great. The seals line up and close up nice and tight open or closed. It's just that when it's being deployed, there is what I would call a serious vertical tilt, and some "wicked shimmying" on the way out...

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm crazy right? Everything is fine right?

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #2

Well...

Its not normal. In the last 2 months, I have ordered 9 slide out motors for exactly what you are experiencing. Condition is.. starts to push, looks like one side is going to beat the other out, seems to straighten a bit, then does it again. Our techs are replacing the motors, graphite lube, and adjusting the travel (kind of balancing the slide motors) for our customers. I guess Jayco got a bad run of motors.

John

John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

It's not side to side motion (or front to back) as if one end of the slide is going out faster than the other. It's almost entirely top and bottom. The front of the slide and the back both lock out and move in perfect unison, the motors seem to be in perfect sync. It's the top and bottom that seem to be out of sync. The slide almost seems to rock itself up and down out of the "travel position". Then it sort of rocks itself into the locked out position at the end of travel.

It doesn't look all that bad from the outside, but from the inside the movement is quite severe. I know it's probably because of the angle of travel. When the bottom of the outside of the slide moves an inch, it translates to many times that distance on the inside edge of the slide and looks pretty rough...

Is there any way to put up a video without using youtube? I would like to see what a normally operating slide looks like from the inside and the outside of a trailer. Alternatively, I would like to put up a video of what mine looks like to determine if it is normal...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is an "Insert Video" icon in the tool bar above the post window if you want to insert a video here.

Doesn't sound normal, I don't own a slide but my sister does.

Is there anyway you can get underneath while the slide is being deployed?

Maybe the gears are not meshing together properly until it gets out a ways. Just a thought.

Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

Yes, I can get under it while DW pushes the switch.

I will try to upload a video using Youtube once I have one to upload (and get my channel set up right...). It gets dark so early now, it may be difficult to do that for a couple days...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

I'm curious to see everyone's response. Based on how you describe it going out and in, ours works similar (however our slide is much smaller with only a couch).

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady View Post
I'm curious to see everyone's response. Based on how you describe it going out and in, ours works similar (however our slide is much smaller with only a couch).
That's just the problem. I have never seen a slide other than the one on my unit actually working, so I have no idea what "normal" is. It's always been on a lot with the slide extended. When we bought the unit, the technician didn't seem overly concerned, but then like I said, he was wrong about a lot of things.

It's likely there is nothing wrong, but I cannot prove it. I don't have access to another trailer with a similar slide until next weekend at the earliest, and surprisingly there is no footage of a slide going in and out on the internet.

I might be able to get a video up tomorrow night. Then I'll be curious to see the responses as to whether it looks normal...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #8

Please. I can have our techs look at the video as well.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #9

When a slide out room starts to move out it lifts slightly. When the seals are in full contact with the side walls on the outside they are trying to slide up the wall. There is huge friction in play here with the seals acting like a brake against the upward movement of the slide room. You can then hear it peal away and things smooth out from there on out. There is a thing called slide seal lubricant. I would try that.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #10

Ours does this. I don't know how slides that are large are constructed, but I can tell you that long slides have multiple tracks on the bottom. I suspect that some have tracks on the top as well. Ours has a single track on the bottom, no track at the top. So as eldermike points out, the slide seals are resisting the movement, hence the "bouncing" effect.