Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

I need help with solar install

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2020 Jayco Redhawk 31F Class C. I purchased the Go Power overlander solar kit since the rv already is solar prepped for roof mount. I have two questions, and I have searched the internet as well as sending emails to both Jayco and Go Power, but with no replies as of yet. I have also asked my local dealer, which did not help.

1) When installing the solar panel mounting brackets on the roof, should I be trying to find a stud to drill into or can I just locate the brackets anywhere on the roof?

2) The panel wires from the roof terminate inside one of the basement storage compartments. Jayco typically installs the "solar prepped" sticker where they intend for the solar controller to be installed, but on my 31F, I found the sticker inside the binder with all the manuals. I would like the controller inside the rv, but there is not a real good place for it. Can it be installed inside one of the basement storage compartments? This would make the wires from the controller to the batteries about 4 feet long. Otherwise, I can mount it inside the rv to the side of the fridge, with access to this controller for wiring thru the outside fridge access panel, but this would make the wires from the controller to the batteries much longer... probably about 10-12 feet long. All they state in the manual is to keep these wires as short as possible, but they do not specify how long is too long.

If anybody has any experience in this matter or owns a 31F with solar installed, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Josh
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #2

There is no need to have the controller out in plain sight at all times. Inside a storage compartment closest to the batteries is the better choice. Keep those wires as short as possible going to the batteries, you’ll get less energy loss. Im not sure what model charge controller you have but make sure you have a way to see the display to periodically do a function check. As far as where your wires are hidden behind the wall, I am of no help.
When mounting the panels to the roof it’s not necessary to find the joists. Mark where you want to mount them, put down a piece of Eternabond tape where the mount will sit on the roof to help seal the holes and cushion the mount against the roof material. Screw down the mounts using wood screws preferably with a rubber washer type head (pole barn screws). Now cover the screw heads and mounts with self leveling Dicor to seal it all down nice and tight. Mine were mounted this way 4 years ago and no issues.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

My controller is the GP-PWM-30-UL. My main concern about mounting the controller inside the storage compartment is temp changes and humidity, which I guess are both concerns inside RVs as well. I will plan to form a bracket or box to mount the controller to the inside of the storage area, since the controller is surface mount. This will make install easy and keep the leads to the battery short.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
My controller is the GP-PWM-30-UL. My main concern about mounting the controller inside the storage compartment is temp changes and humidity,

See if you can find the operating specs on your controller - the ambient air temps. Controllers have heat sinks and, by nature, get warm at times. They need to shed that heat.

The manual should say what find of space you need around your controller and what the max temp should be.

I have my 30A MPPT controller in our "basement", but it has a number of temperature cutoff sensors that'll turn it off if it overheats.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

Worst case scenario if the compartment gets too hot for the controller you could always run a small 12v fan down there to move air around?
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 PM   #6

Got everything installed. I think the basement compartment will work out fine other than having to kneel down each time I want to monitor it. The only thing I didn’t feel comfortable with on the install was regarding the solar panel mounting on the roof. I had no way to attempt to locate studs and the roof just seems too thin for the provided screws to secure the panel. I used butyl tape under the brackets and screwed each bracket down with two screws, then applied lap sealant over the top of all brackets. It seems plenty sturdy when pulling up on it, but I bet I could rip it off the roof if I tried. It’s just not as solid as I would hope, but maybe that’s the RV standard. I’ve always followed the rule... “when in doubt, make it stout”.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #7

Future reference:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...ith+solar.html
Old 07-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Got everything installed. I think the basement compartment will work out fine other than having to kneel down each time I want to monitor it.

One advantage to the EPEver brand is that some of their controllers come with a RS485 port for remote monitoring. You can buy an MT-50 monitor or you can roll your own, as I did.
Attached Thumbnails
dashboard.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #9

That’s something to think about. I’ll see how this set up goes for now. My biggest concern right now is the solar panel mounted to the roof. I know others have had success mounting directly to the plywood roof rather than into a stud, but I’m sure mouthing to a stud is preferable. It feels secure but I’ll keep an eye on it.
I have downloaded the Go Power app, but I lose connection to the controller as soon as I close the door. It’s easy enough to access and view the display and takes up minimal room. I’ll probably install an inverter into this same compartment eventually. Attached is a photo of the controller and how I mounted it. Unless I extended the wires, it’s about the only place I could mount it.
Attached Thumbnails
32FEAF24-A2B2-4B22-A72E-D64D14640114.jpg  
Old 07-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #10

I used 3M VHB tape. A ton of it on custom brackets. I've also secured both panels with a safety strap just in case I have a failure. But so far, two years, 8 seasons, lots of miles - those panels are stuck up there good.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #11

Quote:
That’s something to think about. I’ll see how this set up goes for now. My biggest concern right now is the solar panel mounted to the roof. I know others have had success mounting directly to the plywood roof rather than into a stud, but I’m sure mouthing to a stud is preferable. It feels secure but I’ll keep an eye on it.
I have downloaded the Go Power app, but I lose connection to the controller as soon as I close the door. It’s easy enough to access and view the display and takes up minimal room. I’ll probably install an inverter into this same compartment eventually. Attached is a photo of the controller and how I mounted it. Unless I extended the wires, it’s about the only place I could mount it.
When I mounted my 100 w panel, only two out of 8 screws for the z-mounts could hit a stud. For the remaining 6 screws, I wasn't happy with the "bite" I felts when screwing them into the 3/8" plywood decking. Therefore, I got rubber well nuts for attachment into the decking. Now, when pulling on the panel, it feels like I could rip the decking off before the panel would come loose.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote