Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Micro Air Easy Start & Generator Learning Process

I wanted to share my experience with the Micro Air Easy Start and hopefully help others avoid a potential issue with the installation and operation.

First I want to say the device does do what it claims to do, allow you to start/run a roof top A/C unit (13.5K in my case) with a small 2K watt generator. My issue developed when trying to then run the A/C on shore power.

Micro Air recommends taking the unit through the learning process while connected to shore power but the instructions add "Installations that do not have access to utility power can do the learn process on a generator, but with some risk of improper learning and it is not recommended on very marginal power sources." I interpreted (apparently improperly) the "risk of improper learning" as a failure to start/run the A/C using generator power after going through the learning process.

Unfortunately shore power wasn't available to me at the time of the installation and a Yamaha 2400IHSC generator was used. That said the learning process appeared to go successfully and afterwards I was able to start and run the A/C on the generator. Success...

Fast forward to my first camping trip and attempting to start/run the A/C on shore power. Unfortunately I found out that in some cases if the "learning" procedure is done using a generator the A/C may fail to start on shore power. When attempting to start the A/C the fan would start but after a few seconds the compressor fails to start.

I double checked all the wiring connections to be sure none of the wiring disconnecting while traveling. Having checked all the wiring the A/C compressor still failed to start. At that point I disconnected the Easy Start from the system, reconnected the original wiring and the A/C is running on shore power.

Also make note that there are three LEDs on the unit that actually identify errors. If you have an issue make note of which LEDs are lite. That information can be helpful in troubleshooting a problem.

I don't share this as a knock against the Easy Start device. It really does what it claims to do. But I would HIGHLY recommend that you do the learning process on shore power as recommend in the instructions to avoid running into a similar situation. I don't know if my situation is 1 in a 1000, 1 in 100 or 1 in 10 but be prepared for the possibility if you go through the learning process on a generator and at the first opportunity (not at the first necessity) check operation on shore power.

As for me there is a way to return the unit to the factory settings (delete the prior learning) so the unit can relearn the A/C system while connected to shore power (switching a jumper, powering on the unit then switching the jumper again so that it is in fresh learning mode). It requires opening the box to do it so I need to confirm I can do that myself without voiding the warranty. If not I'll have to send the unit back to Micro Air to do the reset.

Anyway, just an FYI for those that are doing a future installation.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #2

Hopefully going to factory defaults will solve your problem. I have the competitor, the SoftStart from Network RV. It didn’t require a learning process and works great on Shore and Generator power.

You should probably give the people at Microair a call and discus the problem discuss it with them...good luck.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Hopefully going to factory defaults will solve your problem. I have the competitor, the SoftStart from Network RV. It didn’t require a learning process and works great on Shore and Generator power.

You should probably give the people at Microair a call and discus the problem discuss it with them...good luck.
I had email correspondence with them and they are very responsive. Actually I learned about the LEDs and the faults they can identify from them.

Probably the only point of clarification I would have like to have seen in the instructions rather than the "risk of improper learning" is a mention of this as a potential problem. As mentioned when the A/C unit did start when using the generator (my ultimate objective) after going through the learning process with the generator I had no idea that improper learning could mean the A/C might fail to start the A/C on shore power. Unfortunately I didn't discover the potential for that issue until I needed A/C on shore power.

Live and learn.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #4

Sorry you are having this problem and it is good information that may help someone else avoid this mistake. I went with the SoftStart mainly because it was simpler to me in not having to do the learning curve.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

One advantage I found preforming the initial Micro Air 'learning' from shore power is that my A/C starts/runs a little quieter now when connected to shore power.

Works great with my Yamaha 2400 IHSC unit as well.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Excellent explanation of your experience with it. Thanks for bringing it to the Forum. That just might save some folks a fair degree of aggravation.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I came across this recent "campsite" (my favorite mod install location) installation video of the Micro Air Easy Start product that I felt was easy to follow and informative .

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #8

I posted that same video in another thread and it is an excellent source of info. I just received my Micro Air unit today and plan on doing the install as soon as the weather permits. Great info to know about not doing the learning process on the generator. Question, my camper is in a storage facility and there is an outside GFI outlet I can access. Not sure if it's 15 or 20 amp. I have enough 12ga extension cord to reach the outlet and plug that into the camper via an adaptor. Is this enough power to start my 15k Coleman A/C to do the learning process?
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I posted that same video in another thread and it is an excellent source of info. I just received my Micro Air unit today and plan on doing the install as soon as the weather permits. Great info to know about not doing the learning process on the generator. Question, my camper is in a storage facility and there is an outside GFI outlet I can access. Not sure if it's 15 or 20 amp. I have enough 12ga extension cord to reach the outlet and plug that into the camper via an adaptor. Is this enough power to start my 15k Coleman A/C to do the learning process?
Yes, you should be OK. I was able to start and run my a/c on my 15A outlet at home and was able to have the easy start learn effectively. I can now start it from shore, generator or Lifepo4 battery.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I would say no.

12 gauge wire, if there is any length involved, is going to create quite a voltage drop. I would highly recommend waiting until you have good shore power close by and plug in with the RV power cord. Especially with a 15K AC unit.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I would say no.

12 gauge wire, if there is any length involved, is going to create quite a voltage drop. I would highly recommend waiting until you have good shore power close by and plug in with the RV power cord. Especially with a 15K AC unit.
This is not correct! 12awg at 120v only has a 2% voltage drop in a 25' extension cord.
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip..... Question, my camper is in a storage facility and there is an outside GFI outlet I can access. Not sure if it's 15 or 20 amp....snip
The Micro Air installation documents (Rev 1.00) I have state in reference to the 'five starts'.....; "We recommend that these starts are done on a 20 amp or greater utility power source with all loads in the RV turned off".

Personally, I would wait until you have a 30 amp power service available (shore power) for the learning process. I did my install and 'five starts' at a local campground w/30amp shore power service. After the 'learning' process I tested my Micro Air installation with my genny, worked great.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-12-2021, 06:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
This is not correct! 12awg at 120v only has a 2% voltage drop in a 25' extension cord.
He said he had "enough" 12 gauge extension cord to reach the outlet. How much cord is that? And how far is the receptacle from it's own source of power? With those unknowns I stand by my no answer.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #14

Sorry guys I should've mentioned the length of the cord involved here which would be around 60' but I could move the camper to within 10' of the receptacle. Although I could probably do it at 10', I think to be absolutely sure I'll wait until I have 30 amp shore power to do the learning process and thanks for the concerns and comments. My real curiosity here is whether my Champion 2000w inverter generator will start my 15K unit. Fingers crossed!
I noticed in one of Bob's comments that all other power loads should be turned off to do the learning process. Since I'll be camping while doing this, I was wondering if running the fridge on propane during the learning process would be ok since it would be 12v.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....Since I'll be camping while doing this, I was wondering if running the fridge on propane during the learning process would be ok since it would be 12v.
I'm not an electrical geek, but I think you should be ok.

In my case I grabbed a beer out of the frig 'then' turned the frig "off" (I wasn't on LP) and also the converter/charger breaker "off" during the 'learning' process..., plus any other 110v (non-A/C) power load breaker.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #16

QQ for those of you with the Micro Air Easy Start, is there any advantage to having this installed other than for using the A/C with a small generator? In other words my built-in generator starts the A/C just fine, but if installing this adds to the life of the A/C then that would be good to know. ~CA
Old 03-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #17

I talked to my dealer techs whom I trust. They said its a waste of $$ as my genny handles start up well.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
QQ for those of you with the Micro Air Easy Start, is there any advantage to having this installed other than for using the A/C with a small generator? In other words my built-in generator starts the A/C just fine, but if installing this adds to the life of the A/C then that would be good to know. ~CA
I've heard that it can extend the life mechanically of the A/C unit though I don't see much regarding that on their website. I can say that my unit is much quieter during startup now compared to before. No loud thunk and shudder when it kicks in which is really nice on those nights we have to run the A/C late or overnight. It's basically the noise of the fan coming on now.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #19

12 Ga. extension cord is good for 15 amps. DEPENDING on the length of the cord. Longer it is, the more ampacity o( or draw).you incur.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
I talked to my dealer techs whom I trust. They said its a waste of $$ as my genny handles start up well.
Just curious, what brand/model/watt genny do you have?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS