Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Norcold 1210 fridge problem

We noticed the fridge was barely cooling and I’ve traced it down to the cooling fans for the evaporator were not running. I figure it’s bad fans (2), thermal switch or the control board (doubt it’s this).
The fans seem free to turn. There’s 12V to the switch but if I jump the switch the fans don’t run. The switch is also open but I’m not sure it was hot enough for it to close.
Will do more troubleshooting when we get home but looking for some suggestions.
I’m hoping it’s not the fans, gotta pull the fridge to get to ‘em.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #2

A bit more testing convinced me it was the fans. Ordered some replacements from Amazon and my neighbor helped me remove the fridge from its cubby. It’s parked in the 5th on a furniture dolly. I removed the fans and determined they had failed. The new ones arrived yesterday and they both run like a new one should. I spent an extra $12 and got a new thermal switch to go with them even tho the old one is still working. The plan is to install the fans and get the fridge back in it’s spot tomorrow morning before it gets hot.
I suspect one fan died some time ago and the remaining one kept things going until it joined its brother in fan heaven.
Symptoms were the fridge was “working” but it didn’t get cold, only cool. The freezer compartments were about 30 deg but the fridge was in the 50’s. A/C vs gas made no difference.
Since the fridge mounts in one of the slides it doesn’t have a roof vent but has 2 side vents, one low and another high. The baffles kept me from being able to see the fans but I was able to hold the cell phone over the top one and see them via the camera.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Mine wasnt cooling very well in warmer weather and after confirming the factory fans were coming on and working I added 3 more fans on its own thermal switch to come on a at 135° at the top vent to push out the hot air and it now has no problem keeping cool in 85° - 100° weather.
Attached Thumbnails
i-BBDtZpm-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

That’s nice work Rusty.
I got the fans in and the fridge back in its cubby yesterday evening with the help of my neighbor. A quick test showed it was working but I’m going to start it today and let it run a few hours to verify all is good.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B