Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
All I can say is, WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Les thanks for your response. I have been looking into it. It's a large learning curve. We use a lot of power. Blow Dryer, 2 TV's, Directv, LCD lights, Fans, Refer, Microwave, Mr coffee. But it's the weight of the battery's not the price that scares me I not wealthy so lithium is out of the question. 10- T-105 would do the job. I'm almost thinking to install a self contained unit in the pickup bed all Solar parts including Battery's. Then plug the RV into that unit as if I was plugging into a power plug.

What would that look like is panels on roof and ground, MC4 plugs Large box to house all to a fuse to cut off switch then MPPT controllers to breaker to battery to pure sine wave inverter Magnum 4000 to Cut off switch to RV 50AMP male plug. Then plug the RV 50AMP female in.

Since we use the blow dryer 5 mins per person per day. Microwave 10 mins per day I think the battery's can handle that. TV is on 6 hours a day two pots of coffee a day. LCD lights 7 Hours per day fan is on 12 hours. On paper the power consummation works out to less the 25% but time will tell.

I'm not touching the house battery that will recharge off the new solar system.
I would just use a 10k generator if I was consuming this much power...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #42

Some people do.

Our 'neighbors' in South Carolina were ham operators and had a large toy hauler with the garage filled with gear. The 5kW Onan that came with it could not keep up. He was looking at an 7kW Honda to install with it so they could run the AC and radio gear. 12kW total power.

PS he had a 4k genset in his other trailer that was his "mobile" radio station.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I would just use a 10k generator if I was consuming this much power...
Yes that would work except for the noise of that big of generator. I have one already for back-up power for my stick house. Trust me when I say it's lo
ud very loud. You power that up in the woods you will hear it 1 block away. Solar is not cheap but is silent.

I also like the idea of not booking a camp ground and having to hunt for non booked site which can sometimes be impossible on short notice . If we see it's going to be nice for a few day's just connect up the truck to the TT and were off.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote