Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Lights and radio are 12 volts.
Yes they are but.... The Converter will be supplying power to the 12 volt buss and the converter runs off 120 volts. When your battery is low the converter will be recharging it and it may be pulling a few amps in doing so.

I've noticed this when I have my little inverter/generator connected and set to idle down. When first connected, the generator will spool up and I can see a boost charge going to my batteries (battery monitor gauge of course). When the converter steps back the charging, the generator slows down because it is supplying less power to the converter.

So, don't forget the total amp draw required. It will not only be the air conditioners but may include the fridge, converter, etc.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #42

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
I am not much of an electrician, but do think i know my limits & know when to call for help. That is NOW.
Call a reliable electrician & ask for help.

If memory serves me right, your electrical service to your home is 2 phase, each 120VAC to ground, BUT 240VAC to each other. If you choose 2 circuits 15Amp each you would get 30Amp capable but possibly 240AC to each other. That is how you get 240VAC for your electric stove & dryer.

Please call a reliable electrician.
Wireless Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless Mike View Post
I am not much of an electrician, but do think i know my limits & know when to call for help. That is NOW.
Call a reliable electrician & ask for help.

If memory serves me right, your electrical service to your home is 2 phase, each 120VAC to ground, BUT 240VAC to each other. If you choose 2 circuits 15Amp each you would get 30Amp capable but possibly 240AC to each other. That is how you get 240VAC for your electric stove & dryer.

Please call a reliable electrician.
Nope, it's single phase. What comes to you is called Split Phase. 2 legs of 120 volts that are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. It's complicated. 2 phase is a thing of the past long ago. We work with single-phase and 3 phase.

50 amp is 120/240 volts 4 wire. 30 amp is 120 volts 3 wire. You don't add 2 15's to get 30.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:46 PM   #44

I think these are used to combine two separate smaller generators to get the 30A service.
Wally22j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally22j View Post
I think these are used to combine two separate smaller generators to get the 30A service.
This is used to combine two generators.
https://www.maxtool.com/products/hon...RoCWWAQAvD_BwE

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #46

That adapter you have is not legal per the electric code and UL would not put their seal of approval on that adapter. You cannot have an adapter or extension with two male plugs and one side is energized. There are to many safety issues with that adapter that could electrocute yourself or another bystander. If you don’t believe comments in this post. Take the adapter to an electrical store and ask their opinion..
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote