Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2024, 10:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKyle View Post
Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

I have 4 trips booked, 3 will be at the site with the 15amp electric. It's going to in CT at the beach. When it comes to CT, the weather could be a heat wave or any other variation.

I did order a SoftStart the other day. Before owning this camper, I bought a Predator 2000w inverter generator. That too will be ? as to its ability to keep the A/C going. I know the SoftStart company has tested on the older Honda 2000 and newer 2200 with a 15,000 A/C. I have sent an email asking if they've tried it out on the Predator and the results, if any.

I have an electric EcoFlow 3500w generator that will actually run my rooftop A/C for 3-4 hour in HOT sun. I imagine I could use that at night to run the A/C for several hours. The, during the day use the little gas generator to charge the EcoFlow while using it to power the camper.

No matter, I'm going on my trips but thought I'd not have to play this electricity game this year with my new camper. Although I do love the challenge of using solar and the power banks to keep things going. I have others, too; the EcoFlow 2000w and a 300w Jackery.

If by only a miracle the rooftop A/C does run w/the SoftStart I'll still have to power my fridge. Luckily, I have the 2022 Jay Feather model where there was choice of 2 way or 12v fridge, so there's an outside air vent/access panel behind the fridge. I can remove it and plug the fridge straight into one of my power banks. Actually, the Jackery (maybe even the bigger 2000 EcoFlow) will fit in the compartment behind the fridge. I can close it up and run the solar panel cord right out the louvered air panel.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.
Just a few more FYI's, Once upon a time it was common for a generator to be advertised at it running watts, now they commonly often advertise them at the maximum "peak" output that can only last for a short time. I did a quick check of the Predator generator you mentioned and it is only rated for 1600 watts continuous (the current model, you may want to check yours for sure in case it was rated differently in the past). In any case, you take the continuous watts and divide that by the rated voltage which in this case would be 1600w/120v and that gives you the amps which turns out to be 13.33 amps. That is similar to what you may be able to get out of the campgrounds 15a service. (in other words if the A/C can't run on the campgrounds 15a service, then it likely won't do any better with that generator). You really need to monitor the voltage very carefully in either case (purchase a voltage meter if you don't have one, perhaps the type you can plug into an outlet for easy monitoring). If you do damage the A/C due to low voltage, then you most likely will have to replace it. Also keep in mind, that a A/C SoftStart is only helpful for starting the A/C and does not provide any assistance or boost for running the A/C once it is started. ~CA
Old 03-09-2024, 11:06 AM   #42

I want to add one more point (which I alluded to earlier but to be be clear and succinct), if the A/C will run, that is not enough to know if it should run. When you are right at the threshold of maybe it will or will not run, you have to monitor the voltage if you want to make sure you don't damage the A/C. An A/C could possibly run even at 95~105 volts and if the voltage was that low, you would never know without checking the voltage with a meter, and if it is that low (say at the low end) I can assure you that the A/C will be damaged if allowed to run for very long with such low voltage. Point being, you shouldn't make a decision to run the A/C on the 15a circuit or the generator only based on will it run or not. ~CA
Old 03-09-2024, 03:14 PM   #43

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I want to add one more point (which I alluded to earlier but to be be clear and succinct), if the A/C will run, that is not enough to know if it should run. When you are right at the threshold of maybe it will or will not run, you have to monitor the voltage if you want to make sure you don't damage the A/C. An A/C could possibly run even at 95~105 volts and if the voltage was that low, you would never know without checking the voltage with a meter, and if it is that low (say at the low end) I can assure you that the A/C will be damaged if allowed to run for very long with such low voltage. Point being, you shouldn't make a decision to run the A/C on the 15a circuit or the generator only based on will it run or not. ~CA
...for your informative and educated response. That was exactly my question..."Just because it CAN run, does it mean it SHOULD run."

I've managed to get this topic going in two different threads so I'm not sure if you're seeing the other's posts, my responses and outcome.

I am a person who likes gadgets and tinkering, etc. I have at my disposal all sorts of 'apparatuses' that might help me survive an outing w/no or limited electrical hook-ups. I have a host of solar panels, generators; both electric and the one small gas.

I was so busy with my tunnel vision, worrying about running that rooftop A/C with only 15 amps. When I considered my EcoFlow 3500w electric generator. I knew it COULD EASILY run the entire camper, including the rooftop A/C...but only for a few hours.

My mind went to boondocking, the need to use a gas generator to recharge the EcoFlow. I was frustrated because my little Predators 120v outlets are 13.3 MAX, so I knew it didn't have the capacity to recharge my EcoFlow. (I tried last summer...nope, it overloaded)

I was forgetting I actually HAVE 15 amps of camp site power to use in a different way; to pass THROUGH the EcoFLow; the camper pulls from EcoFlow, EcoFlow pulls from 15a camp electric box. TA-DA!

Now, eventually YES, the EcoLFow will outpace the 15 amps going IN, but the A/C won't be cranking ALL the time, so there's time for it to catch up. Also, I have the potential to run 200 watts of solar into the unit at the same time. If my memory serves me correctly, the EcoFlow can accept about 1,600w of input at a time, from multiple sources.

So, I'm all set. I just need some proper electrical cord extensions. I will keep the EcoFlow in my covered truck bed, chained to a tie down. EcoFlow only comes with a 3 foot cord for charging, but there's no way I'm leaving THAT sitting out in the elements next to an electric site hook-up. So, I'll need a good 25' 10 gauge extension cord for that and then, b/c my camper will be plugged into the EcoFlow, I'll likely need a 25' 50 amp extension for my camper cord.
2023 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 2.7L EcoBoost, 4x4, 3.73 axle, #1900 payload #10,100 tow capacity.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote