Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #1

Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank?

It is recommended that fresh water tanks be sanitized periodically. My owner's manual recommends a dilute bleach mixture be poured into the tank, the tank be filled, pumped through the system then drained and flushed again with clear water.
So far, so good, but my '99 Jayco motor home does not have any gravity feed tank fill port. It can only be filled through the city water hose port. How can I get the bleach mixture into the tank without a gravity fill port?

Braz
Braz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

Using the same method as you would use to winterize your MH. At the city water inlet, there is a rubber washer with a small screen on it. Remove this washer, and flip it over. The presses on the check valve. Connect a small hose (winterizing hose) to the city water inlet, and place the other end into a pitcher of concentrated bleach water solution. Make sure to flip the valves to "country fill" This will allow you to pump into the tank. Then reconnect the garden hose to city water line (don't forget to flip the washer back), and top off the tank.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

I pour the correct amount into the hose before I connect it to the unit, the water just takes it in to the tank.
Bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmiller View Post
I pour the correct amount into the hose before I connect it to the unit, the water just takes it in to the tank.
+1. Fastest and easiest process.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Be careful with this method. I have spilled concentrated bleach on my pants and shoes, pouring it into the hose.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
This seems easy, almost a no-brainer. Thanks. Now to figure out how big my tank is so I can calculate the bleach dose. My rig came with a manual downloaded from the interwebs and is lacking on a bunch of information.

As to spilling bleach, I've done that with battery acid and managed to turn long pants into short pants as if by magic.

Braz
Braz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Be careful with this method. I have spilled concentrated bleach on my pants and shoes, pouring it into the hose.
Funnel!

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:28 AM   #8

I use an old gallon milk jug to mix the bleach with a gallon of water, and a short hose to siphon into the holding tank.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
I assume this method also sanitizes the hose. Why didn't I think of this.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #10

You can take your water filter out and put bleach in the canister and then fill your tank full. Then run your pump thru all faucets.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #11

usually a 1/4 cup per 5 gal IIRC is the concentration and you need to leave it in the system for 2 hours or so... I just leave mine in over night then flush it all the next morning... you can make a stronger solution to leave it in for less time...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braz View Post
This seems easy, almost a no-brainer. Thanks. Now to figure out how big my tank is so I can calculate the bleach dose. My rig came with a manual downloaded from the interwebs and is lacking on a bunch of information.

Braz
Contact Jayco Customer support and give them your VIN #. They will be ablt to tell you how big your tank is.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #13

Doesn't your setup have valves that have a "country fill" option? This is what I use and it works perfectly. Put your bleach mixture in a bucket and let it suck in. Then fill the tank up the rest of the way in the normal manner.

I let mine sit for a few days and then pump the sanitizing water from the fresh water tank to the gray and black tanks and let it sit there for a couple of days. Doing this also helps clean your drain pipes inside as long as you pump it through all outlets. This way I get double duty out of the water being wasted. I would feel bad about just draining it on the ground when it could be used to clean the holding tanks a bit.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote