Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #21

I think there is a big hassle registering new names worldwide (different trademark laws, etc.) And, there have been total fails when trying to do so without exhaustive research…like Nova translating to No Go.
Freckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #22

Not sure, but word has it that Ford will offer two new models next year: the Sheesh and the Anyhoo.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
Not expressly pertinent to the new Maverick (though I don't have an issue with the name, and would imagine many buyers will be young enough not to have any recall of the earlier car), I'm waiting for a pickup with a bed height that doesn't require a stepladder to access. Especially from the side.
I was just looking at a friend's brand new Ford Ranger pickup (without any of the "off-road" packages), and was surprised at how low the bed was. The guy is 5' 6" tall, 85 years old, and he was able to back up and sit on the tailgate, with only a slight "hop" to get there. Given the mid-chest tailgate level on my C2500 HD, I thought that was pretty cool!
JimParker256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #24

Bandit12 Your obviously A dodge mopar fan. That's cool makes the world go round.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #25

An electric pickup truck makes sense as you can put a big generator in the bed.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:03 PM   #26

Looks like it would be a good toad weighing in less than 3800 lbs.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 01:14 AM   #27
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I had a Mustang II fastback.
My ex-wife had a '74. That car was certifiably possessed. The ring gear snapped off the torque converter, shocks broke at the mounts, and one day it just decided to try and start itself in the driveway...she was in the house with keys in hand. Long story, but it was turning over, spitting gas out of the carb all over the ground. It probably should've exploded when I got in and turned on the ignition switch.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #28

The hybrid is flat towable. Hmmm. The co-driver doesn't like the Jeep. This is a lighter weight.
Jaycomelbourneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycomelbourneng View Post
The hybrid is flat towable. Hmmm. The co-driver doesn't like the Jeep. This is a lighter weight.
How well does your Melbourne tow the Jeep and what model and year? We are thinking of getting a new toad because our Toyota Spyder is getting harder to get out of at our age. We like the idea of a soft top Jeep but I am concerned about the weight. Stumbled accross the Maverick when looking at the specs of the Ranger. With a flat towable truck though I could get rid of my F150 and the Spyder.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #30

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Americans have been screaming for a low cost, no frills small pickup truck for a decade now. The new Maverick fits that bill and will be hugely successful. I guess they could've called it "Betsy" but I doubt that would've gone over well. My grandpa had a '64 Maverick with an inline 6 and 3 on the tree and that car couldn't get out of it's own way, lol. James Garner would be proud of the new truck.
Spot on! I love this truck. So much I have one on order! Totally fits my TOAD needs.
tljwYaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Americans have been screaming for a low cost, no frills small pickup truck for a decade now. The new Maverick fits that bill and will be hugely successful. I guess they could've called it "Betsy" but I doubt that would've gone over well. My grandpa had a '64 Maverick with an inline 6 and 3 on the tree and that car couldn't get out of it's own way, lol. James Garner would be proud of the new truck.
Why would James Garner be proud of this new truck?
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip...

My ex-wife had a '74. That car was certifiably possessed. The ring gear snapped off the torque converter, shocks broke at the mounts, and one day it just decided to try and start itself in the driveway...she was in the house with keys in hand. Long story, but it was turning over, spitting gas out of the carb all over the ground. It probably should've exploded when I got in and turned on the ignition switch.
LOL. Mine was a ‘77. So, by then they had them fine-tuned and running like a Swiss watch. Yeah, right. Actually, I had no problems with it other than a little oil use and I was a “spirited” early-20s driver. (Age, not decade. ) we’ve come a long way in car quality!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #33

current toad is a Scion TC with tow dolly. She doesn’ like the Jeeps. I rented one in. Asheville. I didn’t like the tow dollies in the 70’s and still don’t. It’s a shame that. Toyota does not make anything that you can flat tow. I’ve retired from 24 years of building them. At the moment if you can get a Maverick (XLT?) hybrid for 26K it beats paying a lot more for a Wrangler.
Jaycomelbourneng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #34

I vote for retreading PINTO...replete with sub-par workmanship, abysmal engineering, life threatening handling (had one decide to barrel roll front of me once), leaking fuel tank...er battery, defection ignition switch, etc. Most of the people who may have remembered the nameplate are dead or sadly, suffer from dementia now anyway.
nko2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:28 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan50 View Post
Why would James Garner be proud of this new truck?
He was the star of the western tv series "Maverick". The original show was on from 1957 to 1962.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycomelbourneng View Post
current toad is a Scion TC with tow dolly. She doesn’ like the Jeeps. I rented one in. Asheville. I didn’t like the tow dollies in the 70’s and still don’t. It’s a shame that. Toyota does not make anything that you can flat tow. I’ve retired from 24 years of building them. At the moment if you can get a Maverick (XLT?) hybrid for 26K it beats paying a lot more for a Wrangler.
You can get an older Toyota. We tow a 2002 MR2 Spyder. Easy to tow and a fun destination vehicle.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #37

1971 Maverick Grabber. Bought it primed dark gray and kept it that way. Added Centerlines and ladder bars with a glass pack exhaust. Lost the brakes in it and hit a funeral home wall head on and totaled it. I didn't have far to go if it went real bad, but obviously it didn't. They found the speaker from the package tray in the Taco Bell parking lot a half block away.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #38

Cool Maverick name

How did Maverick name become a Pickup? How did a "Blazer" 4 wheel drive become a compact FWD SUV? Probably same person who named it quit GM and hired into Ford. Quite easy to reuse old names without regard to the names history.
What misconstrued names to come? Change the name of the Wrangler to the Gremlin?
Wangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #39

I was about to criticize the thread, but then I saw how much mileage you got out of your Maverick rant...far more than the originals would provide.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #40

I had a '76 Maverick in the early '80s for a winter beater. It was the single best vehicle in the snow that I have ever owned, that includes several 4WD trucks I've had.

Quote:
Did you mean '74? The Maverick didn't come out until 1970.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote