Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2021, 07:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Did you mean '74? The Maverick didn't come out until 1970.
Opps Doc , you are correct. Typing isn't my forte.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
What's in a name?
What a terrific vehicle ..... when it comes to trucks, the blue oval knows how to do it, and the new Maverick is a great example!

Oh, and about the Mustang E. I've owned 5 Mustangs, and when they called it the Mustang E, i was the 1st to say.... yep, the car that started the pony car revolution, down sized to take on the oil crisis and crap imports, is now getting us interested in EV's. Once again, it's leading the pack!
Old 11-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
What's in a name?
What a terrific vehicle ..... when it comes to trucks, the blue oval knows how to do it, and the new Maverick is a great example!

Oh, and about the Mustang E. I've owned 5 Mustangs, and when they called it the Mustang E, i was the 1st to say.... yep, the car that started the pony car revolution, down sized to take on the oil crisis and crap imports, is now getting us interested in EV's. Once again, it's leading the pack!
It might be a little early to say this Maverick is a great example. It may be a winner and it may not. As for the “down-sized” Mustang II beating “crap imports,” well, there’s a reason the Mustang II shows up on everyone’s Worst Cars Ever lists — and why those imports ate Detroit’s lunch. Yeah, I had a Mustang II and wish I had bought one of the imports back then.

No, I’m not a Ford hater (I love my trusty 7.3L F-250) but I’m not ready to declare Ford the king of all carmakers. Oh, wait, they don’t make “cars” anymore, except for the ‘Stang… .
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #44

If everything I've been reading is an indicator, Ford will sell thousands of these little trucks. We'll see I guess.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #45

Little trucks are like little dogs..... just.... why....?
Old 11-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
It seems the manufacturers have completely ran out of new names, so they're recycling the old ones. Maverick, Bronco, Charger, Challenger, etc. No imagination on their part at all....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Totally agree. All the other manufacturers do it, why can't Ford?
All of those examples kept the format the same. The old Ford Bronco was a mid-sized SUV (before we knew what a SUV was) and the new Ford Bronco is a mid-sized SUV. The old Dodge Challenger was a performance sports car and the new Dodge Challenger is a performance sports car. And so on.

However, the old Ford Maverick was a car and the new Ford Maverick is a truck. That's a lot different than the examples given.

I'm sure one exists, but I can't think of a marque that reused a model name on a completely different type of vehicle. The Maverick name reuse example here seems pretty unique and, in my opinion, pretty stupid.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #47

As long as we are walking down Memory Lane and the reuse of names, anyone remember when you could get and F150 "Ranger" before the mid 1980s Ranger debuted?
Attached Thumbnails
f150 Rnager.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
As long as we are walking down Memory Lane and the reuse of names, anyone remember when you could get and F150 "Ranger" before the mid 1980s Ranger debuted?
It wasn't just the F-150. The Ranger was a trim level on the complete line of trucks. For example, you could get yourself a 1976 F-250 Ranger.

Here's a 1979 F-350 Ranger XLT:
Old 11-15-2021, 04:18 AM   #49

America does not make cars anymore,, the assemble cars for other countries,, Mexico makes fords
Old 11-15-2021, 05:46 AM   #50

And the Explorer was another iteration of the F100 - I had a '77 model.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
All of those examples kept the format the same. The old Ford Bronco was a mid-sized SUV (before we knew what a SUV was) and the new Ford Bronco is a mid-sized SUV. The old Dodge Challenger was a performance sports car and the new Dodge Challenger is a performance sports car. And so on.

However, the old Ford Maverick was a car and the new Ford Maverick is a truck. That's a lot different than the examples given.

I'm sure one exists, but I can't think of a marque that reused a model name on a completely different type of vehicle. The Maverick name reuse example here seems pretty unique and, in my opinion, pretty stupid.
Having owned one for a few years, I'm not sure it's safe to refer to the "old Ford Maverick" as a car... I believe it did, however, give someone the idea for PayPal, Zelle, etc., because it was a fantastic way to transfer money from my bank account to the repair shop's bank account!
Old 11-16-2021, 04:04 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
America does not make cars anymore,, the assemble cars for other countries,, Mexico makes fords
Ford employs more people in North America than any other car company...Americans and Canadians make Fords!
Old 11-16-2021, 04:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
It might be a little early to say this Maverick is a great example. It may be a winner and it may not. As for the “down-sized” Mustang II beating “crap imports,” well, there’s a reason the Mustang II shows up on everyone’s Worst Cars Ever lists — and why those imports ate Detroit’s lunch. Yeah, I had a Mustang II and wish I had bought one of the imports back then.

No, I’m not a Ford hater (I love my trusty 7.3L F-250) but I’m not ready to declare Ford the king of all carmakers. Oh, wait, they don’t make “cars” anymore, except for the ‘Stang… .
You probably should wish you kept the Stang II, very high on the collectables list, and one of the reasons they still build Mustangs today, and not cars that look like every other (yawn) new car on the road today. I still recall the day my mom came home with her shiny new black with red stripes 1978 Mustang Cobra II ..... as a 16 year old, it was heaven on wheels! Some years later, my mom and dad offered it to me, but i had just bought a new house, and had no time for it, so they sold it....one of the dumbest things i've done in life!
Old 11-16-2021, 06:09 AM   #54

I've worked for Ford for well over 35 yrs. I'm not sure I'm on board with them eliminating the car line. The Mach E will be the only car-ish vehicle they'll have. It's all about the competition and Ford wants to focus their efforts towards their SUV and truck lines. I still think Ford built pretty "ok" cars and some that had very good reps. I hope it's the correct move and it doesn't bite them in the you know what. Time will tell I guess.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #55

Quote:
You probably should wish you kept the Stang II, very high on the collectables list, and one of the reasons they still build Mustangs today, and not cars that look like every other (yawn) new car on the road today. I still recall the day my mom came home with her shiny new black with red stripes 1978 Mustang Cobra II ..... as a 16 year old, it was heaven on wheels! Some years later, my mom and dad offered it to me, but i had just bought a new house, and had no time for it, so they sold it....one of the dumbest things i've done in life!
LOL. I could never afford to buy a car to sit in a climate-controlled warehouse . I’m sure there are people who consider Corvairs collectibles but that doesn’t mean they were great cars. Two people I know bought recent-year Mustangs. One finally got Ford to buy it back after engine problems they could never fix. The other is having electrical problems where the entire dash goes blank. Hmmm.

The Mustang II was the first and last new American vehicle I’ve bought. The last 10 have been Toyota, Honda and Lexus. And my beloved used F-250. I do hope they got it right with the Maverick — and it’s not a “Maverick II.”
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post

Pontiac Le'Mans. Old car was essentially a lower spec GTO. new version in the late 90's was some crappy front dive hatch thing, based on some Korean car....no, just no....
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaM3 View Post
Pontiac Le'Mans. Old car was essentially a lower spec GTO. new version in the late 90's was some crappy front dive hatch thing, based on some Korean car....no, just no....
Still went from a passenger car to a passenger car. The Chevy Malibu did the same thing (more performance oriented to more economy oriented), but still a car to a car. I'm sure I'm missing one, but I still cannot find an example of a complete format change like the Maverick.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #58

Sorry folks…. They are reporting all 2022 Mavericks are sold! What a stupid name….. right!
Old 12-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #59

They used to have a Jean's called Mavericks when I was a kid.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #60

Quote:
Ford employs more people in North America than any other car company...Americans and Canadians make Fords!
whats your point,, still made in mexico