Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #1

Advice on my wdh and how it's leveled.

This summer I picked up a new jayco 28bhbe, and took it out about 6 times, furthest trip was about 3hrs and I had no issues with cross wind. Tow vehicle is a 2017 f150 3.73 rear axle.

Here is the issue, should I be concerned with how my Huskey wdh is setup? The service center were the ones who did the setup when I bought the TT. They were going to reverse the shank to get a higher rise but they decided to leave it in the drop position.

I do have the put alot of blocks under the power jack just to get the back end of the tow vehicle pretty high to get the stabilizer bars in. Here are some pics. The trailer looks pretty leveled but it may be slightly pointing down towards the front.

Should I worry about the husky wdh at its maximum pin holes?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #2

If your hitch setup is returning enough weight to the front axle of your truck and your bars are near parallel with the trailer frame I think your hitch is fine. Trailer looks very close to level and having to jack it way up to get the bars on is normal.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

My tongue jack go up high enough to nearly lift my TV rear wheels off the ground. If putting 20 blocks under you tongue is your only problem with your setup combination then you're doing great.
So people will suggest you get a 3/4 ton TV as a minimum.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #4

Slightly nose down is a good thing as it helps control sway in most cases.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
If your hitch setup is returning enough weight to the front axle of your truck and your bars are near parallel with the trailer frame I think your hitch is fine. Trailer looks very close to level and having to jack it way up to get the bars on is normal.
I'll need to measure the front and the back of the TV before and after I load the TT. I read the manual for the husky WDH and it seems I may need to flip it if the ball is at the top two holes which it is. What's the recommendation height the front and back can go up from the original measurements?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #6

From the drawing, it looks like you would use the same two holes even if you flipped the shank. Flipping the shank up would reduce the chance of dragging it going in and out of driveways. Use the same settings and try it. Measure before and after. Setup looks good to me as is. If you flip the shank up, will there be a spot for the 5/8-11 hex head bolt to tighten up against?
Old 02-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed44 View Post
From the drawing, it looks like you would use the same two holes even if you flipped the shank. Flipping the shank up would reduce the chance of dragging it going in and out of driveways. Use the same settings and try it. Measure before and after. Setup looks good to me as is. If you flip the shank up, will there be a spot for the 5/8-11 hex head bolt to tighten up against?
It might be in the same spot, you bring up a good point where it will reduce dragging on the driveway, haven't happened yet but very close. Not sure I need to measure it again and see if the 5/8-11 hex head bolt will fit if I flip the shank.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

A good rule of thumb is to measure the the front wheel well of your truck to the ground with the trailer unhooked, probably around 37.5" if it is similar to my truck.

When the trailer is hooked up and the WDH is engaged you should be no more than 1/2" higher (38"), otherwise you're not returning enough weight to the front axle.

On my Equalizer 10k hitch, I have it setup that it returns my truck to within 1/8" of stock height.

It looks like your setup is similar to mine and I did flip the shank around. It gives me more ground clearance, plus I can still open my tailgate.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #9

My hitch ball is tilted towards trailer. Not sure why, but your setup is similar to mine (TV and Trailer). What kind of gas mileage are you getting? And how does it tow up grades?
mixter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixter7 View Post
My hitch ball is tilted towards trailer. Not sure why, but your setup is similar to mine (TV and Trailer). What kind of gas mileage are you getting? And how does it tow up grades?
My hitch is also tilted towards the trailer. I believe I have 6-7 washers in my hitch head.

The truck tows great and hills are no issue. I haven't found a hill yet that puts me into 3rd gear.

I was seeing around 23L/100km - or about 10MPG on my last trip which was around 1600km round trip.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

That is awesome.....I was hoping to get the same. About how much is your total weight of trailer when loaded up? Were looking at 7k.
mixter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
I get about 20-22L/100km with the rear axle of 3.73. Not the greatest but okay with that. I had some hills going up last year and I had no issues. I find I turn off the tow mode when driving on a leveled road as it tends to use alot of gas and turn it on if I am going down or up hill.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
A good rule of thumb is to measure the the front wheel well of your truck to the ground with the trailer unhooked, probably around 37.5" if it is similar to my truck.

When the trailer is hooked up and the WDH is engaged you should be no more than 1/2" higher (38"), otherwise you're not returning enough weight to the front axle.

On my Equalizer 10k hitch, I have it setup that it returns my truck to within 1/8" of stock height.

It looks like your setup is similar to mine and I did flip the shank around. It gives me more ground clearance, plus I can still open my tailgate.
Good to know I'll tackle it in the spring, measure both the back and front and I'll probably flip the shank as that's what the manual said to do. Only issue is my torque wrench doesn't go up to 350ft/lb to retorque the bolts.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
That is awesome.....I was hoping to get the same. About how much is your total weight of trailer when loaded up? Were looking at 7k.
I predict about 7k haven't really weighed it, however I'm going to do another post soon just to get some feedback of my numbers just to be sure I am safe towing it. Yes a f250 will be way better but I use the truck as my daily vehicle and the amount of times I tow is not worth getting a 250.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
I predict about 7k haven't really weighed it, however I'm going to do another post soon just to get some feedback of my numbers just to be sure I am safe towing it. Yes a f250 will be way better but I use the truck as my daily vehicle and the amount of times I tow is not worth getting a 250.

My trailer dry is about 6700 lbs according to the yellow sticker on the screen door.

I would guess I'm around 7700lbs loaded for the road.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
I get about 20-22L/100km with the rear axle of 3.73. Not the greatest but okay with that. I had some hills going up last year and I had no issues. I find I turn off the tow mode when driving on a leveled road as it tends to use alot of gas and turn it on if I am going down or up hill.

Difficult to tell from those pictures, but TT looks level. TV may be squatting a little which will be hard on your rear shocks. Follow the WDH setup from the manual which involves measuring at the wheel well before and after engagement of the WDH with a return of all but 1/2 inch. Some TV manufacturers require truck to be returned to level, but Ford recommends a half-inch less. A little piece of masking tape on the wheel wells will ensure you are measuring at exactly the same spot. If you have any stability issues, look into the Propride/Hensley hitches, I wouldn't pull our 28BHBE without it.

When towing, use tow/haul mode. There are not enough flat roads around Ottawa to save any gas by switching it off and on.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #17

[QUOTE=When towing, use tow/haul mode. There are not enough flat roads around Ottawa to save any gas by switching it off and on.[/QUOTE]

So would you turn the tow mode off when you hit the highway? Or just leave it on everytime you tow your TT?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #18

No need to ever turn tow mode off with any Ford truck.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
No need to ever turn tow mode off with any Ford truck.
or a GM or Dodge

the tow haul changes the shift points for a better towing experience...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #20

Tow Haul mode is for dummy. I use manual shift when I tow.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote