Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #21

Use a swagman bike rack that does not wiggle and holds bikes in nice and tight we lock them to the hitch and cover them in a waterproof Formosa bike cover you can get from amazon 45-50 bucks to keep road grim off and rain off. We have expensive MountainBikes that still look like new.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Looking at a 5th wheel trailer.

Cycling is an integral part of my lifestyle and I just can't see hanging two very expensive bikes off the back of a 5th wheel.

Since I'm going to pulling the 5th wheel with a 1 ton crew cab, I was thinking of adding roof racks to the top of the truck and putting the bikes on a rooftop bike rack.

Any other thoughts?
The receiver hitch Swagman bike carrier made for RV's is the way to go, or a similar carrier that is specified for RV's. Don't use a standard bike carrier that is made for a car. They are not durable enough to handle the "whipping" action that occurs at the tail end of an RV. They will snap like a pretzel under adverse conditions. Roof rack carriers are a pain and I don't recommend for many reasons.
Jayco Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco Journey View Post
The receiver hitch Swagman bike carrier made for RV's is the way to go, or a similar carrier that is specified for RV's. Don't use a standard bike carrier that is made for a car. They are not durable enough to handle the "whipping" action that occurs at the tail end of an RV. They will snap like a pretzel under adverse conditions. Roof rack carriers are a pain and I don't recommend for many reasons.
The difference is the hitch size. The RV ones are 2", the regular hitch mount selection includes 1.25" & 2". Some of the ones listed for vehicle use are the same as the ones under the RV section. If it's solidly mounted into the hitch it shouldn't be moving any more on the back of an RV than it will on the back of a truck. Mine probably bounces more on the truck than the trailer as I don't go tearing down rough roads with the trailer.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote