Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

Bike Racks

Looking at a 5th wheel trailer.

Cycling is an integral part of my lifestyle and I just can't see hanging two very expensive bikes off the back of a 5th wheel.

Since I'm going to pulling the 5th wheel with a 1 ton crew cab, I was thinking of adding roof racks to the top of the truck and putting the bikes on a rooftop bike rack.

Any other thoughts?
Planemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #2

I would do the same with carrying expensive bikes. Even with a receiver hitch on the back of the trailer a bike rack bounces all over the place and may self destruct, even the ones rated for RVs, roof top would be the safest and most secure.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #3

I have a Kuat NV hitch tray mount bike rack which is arguably one of the most sturdy racks on the market. I could put a hitch riser on the hitch on the back of the trailer and get the rack another 8 inches above the pavement.

I think it would be find but, I just like to see the bikes.
Planemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

I have a Swagman Escapee and it does a great job on back. I have a Townie Go E-Bike for the wife and a regular Townie for me.
https://www.swagman.net/product/escapee/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
. . . I just like to see the bikes.
A roof rack for your truck is probably your best solution if you don't feel comfortable having them out of sight. IMO, bikes are better protected from road debris if they're mounted on the rear of the 5th wheel. This is assuming you have a good mounting system that doesn't allow the bikes to bounce around.

I have a friend of mine who hauls around two very expensive carbon-fiber road bikes behind his 5th wheel. He has a wide-angle camera mounted on the rear of his 5th wheel primarily for traffic purposes. As an added bonus he can also keep an eye on the bikes.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

The biggest problem with the roof rack, especially on a truck, is needing a ladder to get them on and off. Lifting a 20 lb road bike up a ladder to the roof is not bad but if you are talking a 30lb+ bike it gets very difficult and somewhat dangerous depending on your physical conditioning. There is also a chance of scratching your truck/bike in the process (ask me how I know). I have a $5k+ mountain bike I haul everywhere on a 1UP USA hitch rack on my truck and as soon as I get a receiver on my camper it will go there also.
2013 Jayco 264BH SOLD
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

I found a "Front receiver" for my Durango. super easy to install, and I use bike rack and motorcycle carrier on it, and it rocks. Far better than the unreliable "RV Bumper" receivers. In the front, they are out of the way and easy to monitor and access. That would be my suggestion. I have a short video in this section on it, should you want to see it.
Trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #8

Which trailer and how large is the basement? I carry two mtn bikes vertically in the basement. I made brackets that the forks lock into and just have to lower the seats to get them in. The wheels hang beside them. Not as easy to get them ready for use as being on top of a truck but they're locked up and out of the weather.

My brother lost two expensive bikes in Hemet one night. They were locked to the side of his MH with a heavy cable. Swiped while they were sleeping.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #9

Fifth-Wheels – Quality Bike Racks for your RV | ARVIKA

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

One of the first things we did to our new truck was have a receiver installed on the front. Great for bike racks, cargo trays or putting the hitch on the front to push trailer into tight spots. We bought an anti rattle hitch pin and there is almost no movement of the bikes.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Looking at a 5th wheel trailer.

Cycling is an integral part of my lifestyle and I just can't see hanging two very expensive bikes off the back of a 5th wheel.

Since I'm going to pulling the 5th wheel with a 1 ton crew cab, I was thinking of adding roof racks to the top of the truck and putting the bikes on a rooftop bike rack.

Any other thoughts?

Just throw them in the 5er?
Shades9323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #12

dhinkle57; Yup, thats the easy way to do it right. I love ours, receiver up front is too useful.
Trippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #13
Site Team

There are a zillion options to consider. Only limited by ones pocketbook.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinkle57 View Post
One of the first things we did to our new truck was have a receiver installed on the front. Great for bike racks, cargo trays or putting the hitch on the front to push trailer into tight spots. We bought an anti rattle hitch pin and there is almost no movement of the bikes.
With the amount of bug guts and crap I get plastered on the front of my vehicles, I'd hate to add bikes to the list of things I have to struggle to clean.

If it were we, I'd put them behind the rig. Any day. I used to do that all the time, and with today's new bike racks it would be even better.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #15

I used to put bikes on the back of the RV. I also had a roof rack on a Camry at one point. I used quality Yakima racks for both. My first choice now would be a receiver and rack on the front of my tow vehicle. There are covers one can use to protect the bikes from bugs and debris. My second option would be the roof rack. The roof would be safer for an expensive bike but much less convenient. Everything's a compromise.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 AM   #16

We haul relatively cheap (~$1k ea) mountain bikes and there is no way I will haul them on the rear of the RV. I won't even haul them out in the elements even though I tend to ride in the mud quite a bit. I like the truck bed under my cap for them. That said, with a 5th, I wonder if there is room right at the front of the truck bed if the bike(s) are turned sideways across the bed? You could then cover them to keep road spray and debris off them.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades9323 View Post
Just throw them in the 5er?
My thoughts too. Find a flat spot inside to put them. Maybe make a little frame to hold them upright so they aren't leaning against anything. Keeps them safe, dry, bug free and secure while traveling.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #18

We're very happy with the Swagman hitch rack we bought for our 5th wheel. Heavy duty construction and seats solidly in the hitch. Be sure to match your bikes weight to the available models.
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #19

My 2 bikes fit into the bay. One bike on each side. Out of weather and out of sight. Can pack some items under them or on them. 2003 Designer.
RNEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #20

I have 2 Swagman RV racks for bikes with and without fenders. Two of the bikes are Electras and are quite heavy. I am from Michigan and haul my 42’ Pinnacle 5th wheel to Florida every winter and have had no problems with the racks.
MBARK is offline   Reply With Quote