Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #1

Cat scale weights method observation

When using the method of:
1st weigh TV only
2nd weigh TV/TT hitched with WDH engaged
3rd weigh TV/TT hitched with WDH released but bars hanging

Loaded TT weight = 2nd weight TV/TT gross weight - 1st weigh TV gross weight
Loaded Tongue weight = 3rd weight TV axle weights - 1st weigh TV gross weight

If you wanted to calculate the actual tongue weight alone of the trailer not the total tongue weight with the WDH would it not be better to way the 1st weight of truck with the WDH and bars attached to TV?

Obviously Jayco is not including the weight of your WDH set up in the tongue weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #2

Interesting question.

When I have weighed what you are referring to in 1st weigh, TV alone, I have always left the hitch in the TV and the bars in the TV.

This should give you the actual weight of the tongue of the trailer with the math, Ball receiver back, similar to what a sheerline scale would give you. If your concerned however with the maximum weight on the receiver of the TV, you probably would need to think about considering the weight of the hitch as well. Its hard to say if the manufacturer would have included a buffer for the weight of the hitch head and bard in the receiver or not in their ratings. Probably not a huge worry unless your close to the hitch's rated tongue weight rating.

If you REALLY wanted to have all the information in 3 passes, I suppose you could take the hitch and sway bars and put them back on the third axle pad on the cat scale before you took your first weight, that would give you the exact weight of the hitch components.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Interesting question.

When I have weighed what you are referring to in 1st weigh, TV alone, I have always left the hitch in the TV and the bars in the TV.

This should give you the actual weight of the tongue of the trailer with the math, Ball receiver back, similar to what a sheerline scale would give you. If your concerned however with the maximum weight on the receiver of the TV, you probably would need to think about considering the weight of the hitch as well. Its hard to say if the manufacturer would have included a buffer for the weight of the hitch head and bard in the receiver or not in their ratings. Probably not a huge worry unless your close to the hitch's rated tongue weight rating.

If you REALLY wanted to have all the information in 3 passes, I suppose you could take the hitch and sway bars and put them back on the third axle pad on the cat scale before you took your first weight, that would give you the exact weight of the hitch components.

Thanks that's what I thought as well. Next weight in I will try with hitch attached to TV on 1st weigh. Will be nice comparison to usual method. I will post results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

Eco,

Not that it matters much, but when I weigh my set up I actually start with the tv & tt w/ the wd bars attached since I am rolling in from the road.

Then unhook the wd bars and set them in the truck bed to weigh the tv & tt again.

Then drop the tt and weigh the tv only, leaving the hitch head in and wd bars in the bed as mentioned.

Then bribe my wife to go pay for the 3 weight slips while hooking the tt back up.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Eco,

Not that it matters much, but when I weigh my set up I actually start with the tv & tt w/ the wd bars attached since I am rolling in from the road.

Then unhook the wd bars and set them in the truck bed to weigh the tv & tt again.

Then drop the tt and weigh the tv only, leaving the hitch head in and wd bars in the bed as mentioned.

Then bribe my wife to go pay for the 3 weight slips while hooking the tt back up.
Most places I have been weighed will give the second one free - but you have to go pay for the first one and then when you go through again tell them it's a reweigh. Then pay go through the third time and pay again. The first time I went through I did not know - they asked if it was a first weigh or re-weigh so I asked when I went in to pay for three. It will save you a little money.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

I have only weighed at CAT Scales, which is about $11 for the first trip across the scale, then $2 for each additional trip across within a certain time frame. Prices are from memory, last time weighing the rig set up being almost 2 yrs ago.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:59 PM   #7

Guess I am lucky in that regard as scales in Manitoba are free. They are not cat brand but operated by the Province. We do have a couple of cat scales closer to Winnipeg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk