Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2024, 10:07 AM   #1

Full Fuel Tank for GVWR

• Do you obtain the TV's GVWR with a full tank of gas?
  • Is a full tank of gas supposed to be a part of the GVWR calculation?
I have always assumed it that it is, and you should have a full tank when you use the scales. But I do not know if the manufacturers assume a full tank and all fluids in the vehicles curb weight and in its stated payload capacity. Or is a full tank's weight part of the payload (added weight)?

gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:26 AM   #2

Curb weight includes all fluids including a full tank of fuel and no passengers.

GVWR doesn't concern itself with the fuel level and doesn't change based on the fuel level.

~CA
Old 02-03-2024, 10:29 AM   #3

GVWR is GVWR. Doesn't matter what's in the truck as it's weighed. You have a max GVWR so whatever's in the truck is deducted from the GVWR. I would do a full tank. Why would you want it 1/4 full and go across the scales? Then when you fill it up you are even heavier and need to deduct the extra weight from the GVWR. I find it hard that if you load up and are 100 lbs under GVWR with a qtr tank of fuel and when you fill you're over GVWR by 200+ lbs that that's good.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Curb weight includes all fluids including a full tank of fuel and no passengers.

GVWR doesn't concern itself with the fuel level and doesn't change based on the fuel level.

~CA
So when I go to the scales, it does matter how much fuel I have in the tank. My practice to date has been to include a full tank in the truck's weight. If the fuel weight is not a factor, that frees up a couple hundred pounds in my available payload. I have been including the fuel weight in the available payload calculation, but I should not factor the fuel weight in my available payload calculation. Correct?
Old 02-03-2024, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
  • Do you obtain the TV's GVWR with a full tank of gas?
  • Is a full tank of gas supposed to be a part of the GVWR calculation?
I have always assumed it that it is, and you should have a full tank when you use the scales. But I do not know if the manufacturers assume a full tank and all fluids in the vehicles curb weight and in its stated payload capacity. Or is a full tank's weight part of the payload (added weight)?

Yep as mentioned curb weight includes all fluids and a full tank of fuel. So the fuel weight doesn’t change the payload as listed for that truck.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:43 AM   #6

Thank you!
Old 02-03-2024, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
GVWR is GVWR. Doesn't matter what's in the truck as it's weighed. You have a max GVWR so whatever's in the truck is deducted from the GVWR. I would do a full tank. Why would you want it 1/4 full and go across the scales? Then when you fill it up you are even heavier and need to deduct the extra weight from the GVWR. I find it hard that if you load up and are 100 lbs under GVWR with a qtr tank of fuel and when you fill you're over GVWR by 200+ lbs that that's good.
That's helpful. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
So when I go to the scales, it does matter how much fuel I have in the tank. My practice to date has been to include a full tank in the truck's weight. If the fuel weight is not a factor, that frees up a couple hundred pounds in my available payload. I have been including the fuel weight in the available payload calculation, but I should not factor the fuel weight in my available payload calculation. Correct?
The GVWR is a set number, it doesn't matter to this rating where the weight comes from, just know that your vehicle is not rated to carry more weight than the GVWR. Similar to being weighed without passengers and then you add 4 150# passengers, then you are 600# heavier and have less remaining for payload, but the GVWR never changes.

To keep things simple and accurate, it is best to be weighed with a fully loaded vehicle, fuel, supplies, people, cargo, etc. ~CA
Old 02-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
The GVWR is a set number, it doesn't matter to this rating where the weight comes from, just know that your vehicle is not rated to carry more weight than the GVWR. Similar to being weighed without passengers and then you add 4 150# passengers, then you are 600# heavier and have less remaining for payload, but the GVWR never changes.

To keep things simple and accurate, it is best to be weighed with a fully loaded vehicle, fuel, supplies, people, cargo, etc. ~CA
Perfect! Thank you!
Old 02-03-2024, 11:55 AM   #10

I would say there is some potential false info above. Every TV I have owned. The GVWR, includes a full tank of fuel and an average size driver. I believe they all said an average driver allowance was 150 lbs. I recall someone say the tundra did not include a driver.

I recommend calling the manufacturer customer help line and asking. That is what I have done. They have been wonderful at providing a lot of good information. Do not call the dealership, often they do not know the correct information.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:02 PM   #11

I will add if 150 lbs of payload is an issue and you are concerned with the payload rating you may not have right vehicle.

Honestly when I had a 1/2 ton I gave little concern to payload and even less with my 3/4 ton. For me it’s more about GAWR and GCWR. As long as I’m under both of those ratings I dont see an issue.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would say there is some potential false info above. Every TV I have owned. The GVWR, includes a full tank of fuel and an average size driver. I believe they all said an average driver allowance was 150 lbs. I recall someone say the tundra did not include a driver.

I recommend calling the manufacturer customer help line and asking. That is what I have done. They have been wonderful at providing a lot of good information. Do not call the dealership, often they do not know the correct information.
Think of this in a different but similar manner, if your tires are rated for 3000 lbs maximum load each, is that maximum load rating different when you have a full tank of fuel and 4 passengers? ~CA
Old 02-05-2024, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

No, that's not how that works. GVWR is an acronym for gross vehicle weight rating. Gross as in not subtracting everything, rating as in the maximum it's capable of safely according to them. GVWR is the maximum number that the vehicle, passengers, fluids, and cargo shall not exceed. Payload is the net vehicle weight rating: how much is left of the GVWR after you figure the vehicle steel, fluids, people, and cargo.

11k# gvwr - 8k# vehicle, 200# fuel , 300# of people leaves 2500# payload
11k#gvwr - 8k# vehicle, 50# fuel , 300# of people leaves 2650# payload

If, in the above situation, you put 2600lbs of cargo in it because you had 50# of capacity left with a 1/4 tank then fill up, you're 100lb over gvwr.

A payload sticker will almost certainly include full fluids but may or may not make assumptions about passengers which is why GVWR - actual weight is more accurate.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:32 PM   #14

It's not rocket science. Fill the truck and go weight it.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:27 PM   #15

GVWR doesn't change as you add or subtract things. What does change is your available PAYLOAD. And payload is listed on the yellow sticker on the driver's door.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry713 View Post
Yep as mentioned curb weight includes all fluids and a full tank of fuel. So the fuel weight doesn’t change the payload as listed for that truck.

or another way of saying it, the truck's payload on the yellow sticker includes full fuel and all fluids. That's how I looked at it when buying our truck. Towing capacity I had plenty, and I was mostly concerned with the pin weight of the camper not exceeding our max payload with me and mama and 2 toy poodles. Oh, and a small cooler with sandwiches lol.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:45 AM   #17

Kinda relates to this thread...we just got a new Eagle HT 29RLC and I knew I would be close to cargo capacity. Throwing this by all to see if my thoughts are correct. My tow vehicle is a gas 2017 F250 with a cargo capacity of 3117 and a GVWR of 10k. To me, that means my curb weight was considered 6883. We recently weighed truck alone (full gas, my wife and I, dog, food, and other cargo to include slider hitch) and it came in at 7820. After attaching the 5th wheel, weight to include newly added pin weight, came out to 10k on the nose. Got to the campsite and rearranged weights, got rid of stuff we didn't use, and then re-weigh after we left came in at 9840. Axle weights, tire rating weights, RV axle weights, and RV cargo capacity all look good. I'm thinking my tow vehicle's cargo capacity, albeit close, is now under my max capacity. Thoughts? Did I calculate wrong?
Sandraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandraze View Post
Kinda relates to this thread...we just got a new Eagle HT 29RLC and I knew I would be close to cargo capacity. Throwing this by all to see if my thoughts are correct. My tow vehicle is a gas 2017 F250 with a cargo capacity of 3117 and a GVWR of 10k. To me, that means my curb weight was considered 6883. We recently weighed truck alone (full gas, my wife and I, dog, food, and other cargo to include slider hitch) and it came in at 7820. After attaching the 5th wheel, weight to include newly added pin weight, came out to 10k on the nose. Got to the campsite and rearranged weights, got rid of stuff we didn't use, and then re-weigh after we left came in at 9840. Axle weights, tire rating weights, RV axle weights, and RV cargo capacity all look good. I'm thinking my tow vehicle's cargo capacity, albeit close, is now under my max capacity. Thoughts? Did I calculate wrong?
Everything sounds correct to me. enjoy