Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2024, 03:44 PM   #1

Grand Cherokee and 195RB

Hi, I’m new to the Forum! and a possible Jayco owner. I currently have a 19’ Travel Trailer that is 80” wide and I do not need any side mirror extensions on my 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The new Jayco 195RB I’m considering is 85” wide. I sure hope I don’t need side mirror extensions because I don’t like them …PIA to be exact. Does anyone know if I’ll need them on the JGC with this new 85” trailer? Thanks!
Rogelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:02 AM   #2

Why are they such a PIA? It's not only your safety but it is others on the road. Some campers will be set the furion system where you can add cameras to the trailer side markers along with the rear of the camper. Be safe on the road you will like those mirrors for taking turns for sure.
JayFlight174BH2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:58 AM   #3

Well, if I think they stink that would be my opinion, you are entitled to your opinion. But virtue signaling isn’t called for.
Rogelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogelk View Post
Well, if I think they stink that would be my opinion, you are entitled to your opinion. But virtue signaling isn’t called for.
Sounds like you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!!!!
Anyway, welcome to the Jayco forum and we’re here to help you anyway we can with our millions of miles of hauling that big box down the road.
Now this is only a suggestion so don’t take it personally but extended mirrors makes it so easy to see what’s behind you, see how close you are to the lane line next to you, and see that tree behind you before you back into it and destroy the trailer that you just bought.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3867.jpg  
Old 02-24-2024, 11:43 AM   #5

Regardless of the TV and Trailer, the mirrors need to have a sufficient amount of viewing area (generally the middle of the mirror or at least the outer edges) that is at minimum equal to or slightly wider than the trailer is. A quick check for a 21 Jeep Cherokee is that the width at the mirrors is 84.8" which includes the frame so likely around 82~83" width for the viewing area, which means geometrically speaking your blind spot area will be ever increasing if you tow an 85" wide trailer which will prevent you from seeing traffic on either side of the trailer except when that traffic is relatively close to the tow vehicle. Therefore, you will need mirror extensions for towing an 85" wide trailer seeing that your mirrors are not as wide as the trailer.

I will also add, that the word need, want, should have, are all subjective, bottom line is that if the viewing area of the mirrors is exactly as wide as the trailer is wide, you will never see what is directly behind the trailer while traveling straight forward. At minimum you should be able to see the traffic coming up from behind for as far as possible, many states require that minimum (mirror width equal or greater than the trailer width) by law (from what I remember) and preferably the mirrors should be spaced apart more than the trailer is wide so the blind area behind the trailer decreases (vs increases) with distance. ~CA
Old 02-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #6

Here is a diagram (image) I found that describes what I am talking about. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
TM mirror spacing.gif  
Old 02-24-2024, 12:20 PM   #7

I have read elsewhere that some states require mirrors. With out them I can't see traffic behind me and blindspot detection does not extend to the back sides of the trailer.

Yep they are a pain , but better than a crash or a ticket.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:59 PM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogelk View Post
Im sorry if I offended you with my common sense answer. This forum is to help everyone. As see already on this thread. Safe travels.
JayFlight174BH2023 is offline   Reply With Quote