Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2024, 07:42 AM   #1

Tundra Brake Controller

Looking for Tundra owners that tow with the factory brake controller.

I tow a 7000 pound travel trailer and tow using the factory mounted brake controller. I have very poor brake response. Thinking the problem was the trailer brakes I recently replaced all four brake assemblies with new units. With the gain on the controller set to 10 the trailer brakes just a little, but not enough to stop.

I doing some research I found Toyota issued a TSB back in 2018, TSB # 0231-17 for brake controller complaints. It just basically reprograms the computer. Has anyone had this done and does it help braking performance?''

There is a How-To video on YouTube showing how to replace the Toyota break controller with a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. It looks simple enough to do and I am seriously considering this mod.

My 2007 had a Prodigy P2 that worked great. Towing the same trailer it could stop the truck and trailer with just trailer brakes alone, something I now cannot do. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Looking for Tundra owners that tow with the factory brake controller.

I tow a 7000 pound travel trailer and tow using the factory mounted brake controller. I have very poor brake response. Thinking the problem was the trailer brakes I recently replaced all four brake assemblies with new units. With the gain on the controller set to 10 the trailer brakes just a little, but not enough to stop.

I doing some research I found Toyota issued a TSB back in 2018, TSB # 0231-17 for brake controller complaints. It just basically reprograms the computer. Has anyone had this done and does it help braking performance?''

There is a How-To video on YouTube showing how to replace the Toyota break controller with a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. It looks simple enough to do and I am seriously considering this mod.

My 2007 had a Prodigy P2 that worked great. Towing the same trailer it could stop the truck and trailer with just trailer brakes alone, something I now cannot do. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!
You might ask in the Tundras.com forums such as https://www.tundras.com/forums/towing-hauling.53/

From what I can see, some second generation Tundra owners have upgraded the integrated brake controller to Tekonshas for heavier trailers. For third generation Tundras, doesnt seem to be as big an issue but not sure
Husky Centerline WDH
Leedillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:19 AM   #3

I have 2017 Tundra and have previously pulled both a straight RV toy hauler and a 5th wheel RV. I have never had any problems the brake controller. It was usually set between 8-9 and operated the trailer brakes correctly.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghauler View Post
I have 2017 Tundra and have previously pulled both a straight RV toy hauler and a 5th wheel RV. I have never had any problems the brake controller. It was usually set between 8-9 and operated the trailer brakes correctly.

Have you had the TSB # 0231-17 update done on your truck? It's a software update only. With my gain set at 10 and the manual slider fully activated the braking is very poor.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:45 AM   #5

No, I have not had any updates done. I have very strong brake control. No problems. Maybe something else is going on.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. After some extensive testing this morning I have decided to order the Prodigy P3 controller from Amazon. The voltage from the controller to the trailer measures only 10.3-10.8 volts with the manual lever full on. I am getting 12.4 volts from the truck to the trailer battery with the engine not running. If I pull the breakaway switch the brakes lock up and I cannot move the trailer.

This is a common complaint on many of the Tundra forums. Many have replaced the factory controller just as I am going to do.

This YouTube video is what convinced me to do it. The mounting bracket he made on a 3-D printer is also now available on Amazon.

The parts are supposed to be here Friday...I will update this Thread once they are installed.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:52 PM   #7

UPDATE: Installed a Prodigy P-3 controller as shown in the above video on Post 6. I now have brakes!

My 2007 Tundra had the same Prodigy P-3 controller, pulling the same trailer and the brakes worked way better than with my 2017 Tundra with the factory controller. I was beginning to believe all the negative talk about the Dexter EZ Lube causing leaking seals and brake shoe contamination because that's what I have used to grease the bearings since I bought the trailer in 2017. My trailer brakes could not stop the trailer on their own and I was growing more concerned. However, using the break away switch did cause the brakes to lock up, so I suspected the controller was the problem

About 3 weeks ago I pulled all the hubs for a complete bearing replacement, and all new brake assemblies from Dexter. The shoes on my old brakes showed no grease contamination, but were worn somewhat.

After re-installation the trailer braking didn't improve at all, a big disappointment. Even with the gain on the factory controller set to 10 the trailer could not stop the truck & trailer with full manual braking.

The Prodigy solved the issue, just wish I had done the switch sooner!