Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
IMHO, the Aisin tranny is a must. When coupled together with the 6.7L diesel engine it increases the HP and torque. Therefore, High Output engine. I have the 4.10 rear end which sacrifices fuel mileage for incredible pulling power.

Thank you for your comment, the one that I will be looking at today or soon have 3.73 gears but until then it will give me some time to do a search.

I have been hearing that the maintenance on the HO Aisin is double that you have to change the oil at 30,000 miles where the SO you can change it at 60,000 miles, hmmm, I don't know.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:42 AM   #42

Thank you, guys for your comments, so now after checking the website of the trucks that the one dealer have which is the HO's I did notice that the payload was 3900lbs for the Limited and towing was 19,425lbs, and on the other since it was a Big Horn the payload was 4,025lbs and the towing was 20,100lbs.

Now with the one that I'm planning on going to the dealer tomorrow it has the SO in the Big Horn the payload of that one is 4,326lbs and the towing is 25,251lbs now to me I would want the bigger payload and the towing capability, I am planning on getting a little bigger 5th wheel down the road but the one that we are looking at will still within. It has a pretty good amount of option in the Big Horn, all I would have to do is to add front tinted windows, 5th wheel gooseneck, and some step bar and that's it, it even has heated seat, heated steer wheel, lol.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Thank you, guys for your comments, so now after checking the website of the trucks that the one dealer have which is the HO's I did notice that the payload was 3900lbs for the Limited and towing was 19,425lbs, and on the other since it was a Big Horn the payload was 4,025lbs and the towing was 20,100lbs.

Now with the one that I'm planning on going to the dealer tomorrow it has the SO in the Big Horn the payload of that one is 4,326lbs and the towing is 25,251lbs now to me I would want the bigger payload and the towing capability, I am planning on getting a little bigger 5th wheel down the road but the one that we are looking at will still within. It has a pretty good amount of option in the Big Horn, all I would have to do is to add front tinted windows, 5th wheel gooseneck, and some step bar and that's it, it even has heated seat, heated steer wheel, lol.

I am pulling a Pinnacle 36FBTS with my '21 Ram SRW, long bed, SO engine and 3.73 gears. I have zero issues pulling the trailer, pulls like a dream, getting around 18MPG not pulling anything in a combo of city/country driving. All highway driving, around 21-22 MPG and last, 11.3 MPG last two trips pulling the camper. I have the air ride which is very useful and a 3963 pound with the Laramie package and the 5th wheel prep option. As you well know by now, the fewer options, the higher payload. It is my daily driver, so I wanted it well equipped but not too much, as in the limited, since I am pulling a fairly heavy trailer.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #44

In defense of the S/B I have a 2019 3500 Mega cab dually. With the factory air suspension in the rear. Dually because the wife is always looking at bigger rigs at the shows and I got tired of saying "But our truck won't pull that". I needed a short bed because here in Huntington Beach we can't extend into the sidewalk when parked in the driveway. I don't carry a lot of extra stuff in the truck so don't need the extra bed space..though I do see that as a plus if it's needed. We test drove a LOT of trucks ..both short bed and long and I find my truck rides as well as if not better than most. Probably because of the air susp. My payload cap. even with the Limited package is over 5200Ilbs...more than I need. I can make U turns fairly easily and even do 180's with the fifth hooked up in our culdesac. Yes I need a slider to be safe and use the Super Glide from Pullrite. I like the B&W manual slider as well but I might forget to engage it lol. This is my daily driver also although I'm retired now so don't really drive it daily. On the days I do and need to go to the mall it's nice to fit in a regular space....yes it sticks out but no way like an 8' bed truck. We love the Mega Cab rear seat room...especially when traveling with 2 Mini Schnauzers. If you are looking RAM and planning on pulling heavy get the Aisin. It adds to your payload capacity and in general is more reliable in a towing situation than the 68RFE. Mine has the 4:10 gears and pulls like a beast. I initially was looking at Fords and GM products also. I like the fact the GM trucks come in a 7' bed which might negate the need for a slider type hitch. The Super cab Ford longbeds wouldn't even fit in my driveway LoL, but they are nice trucks. I do plan on having a bigger fuel tank installed...I carry 2-5 gallon jugs in the bed as reserve but honestly by the time I've driven enough to need fuel I need to get out of the truck anyhow. In the end you are the one who has to determine what bed length and brand will work for you. Test drive some ...both shortbed and long and in the brands you like...I did and found the perfect truck for OUR use. Might not be the rig for everyone. I'm sorry you are having issues with yours.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I am pulling a Pinnacle 36FBTS with my '21 Ram SRW, long bed, SO engine and 3.73 gears. I have zero issues pulling the trailer, pulls like a dream, getting around 18MPG not pulling anything in a combo of city/country driving. All highway driving, around 21-22 MPG and last, 11.3 MPG last two trips pulling the camper. I have the air ride which is very useful and a 3963 pound with the Laramie package and the 5th wheel prep option. As you well know by now, the fewer options, the higher payload. It is my daily driver, so I wanted it well equipped but not too much, as in the limited, since I am pulling a fairly heavy trailer.

Now this is what I want to hear, you have a nice setup and this is what I want to have. I’m looking at the same setup the one that is coming in is a Laramie but I don’t know the payload yet.

Our next fiver is going to be about the same as the one you now so I know when I get my new ram I will be able to tow it with no problem and that is what I’m trying to do. The 3500 Big Horn that I look at today was what I wanted it had 4396lbs of payload but it didn’t have the 50 gals fuel tank and I told him I want the 50 gals fuel tank so I will pass and wait for the one to come in next week.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
In defense of the S/B I have a 2019 3500 Mega cab dually. With the factory air suspension in the rear. Dually because the wife is always looking at bigger rigs at the shows and I got tired of saying "But our truck won't pull that". I needed a short bed because here in Huntington Beach we can't extend into the sidewalk when parked in the driveway. I don't carry a lot of extra stuff in the truck so don't need the extra bed space..though I do see that as a plus if it's needed. We test drove a LOT of trucks ..both short bed and long and I find my truck rides as well as if not better than most. Probably because of the air susp. My payload cap. even with the Limited package is over 5200Ilbs...more than I need. I can make U turns fairly easily and even do 180's with the fifth hooked up in our culdesac. Yes I need a slider to be safe and use the Super Glide from Pullrite. I like the B&W manual slider as well but I might forget to engage it lol. This is my daily driver also although I'm retired now so don't really drive it daily. On the days I do and need to go to the mall it's nice to fit in a regular space....yes it sticks out but no way like an 8' bed truck. We love the Mega Cab rear seat room...especially when traveling with 2 Mini Schnauzers. If you are looking RAM and planning on pulling heavy get the Aisin. It adds to your payload capacity and in general is more reliable in a towing situation than the 68RFE. Mine has the 4:10 gears and pulls like a beast. I initially was looking at Fords and GM products also. I like the fact the GM trucks come in a 7' bed which might negate the need for a slider type hitch. The Super cab Ford longbeds wouldn't even fit in my driveway LoL, but they are nice trucks. I do plan on having a bigger fuel tank installed...I carry 2-5 gallon jugs in the bed as reserve but honestly by the time I've driven enough to need fuel I need to get out of the truck anyhow. In the end you are the one who has to determine what bed length and brand will work for you. Test drive some ...both shortbed and long and in the brands you like...I did and found the perfect truck for OUR use. Might not be the rig for everyone. I'm sorry you are having issues with yours.

Thank you sir so much when I was down in OR I seen two short bed dually and man I really like them but here in WA I haven’t been able to find any here, although there are some long bed dually here and I could really easily go in that direction if all other fell but the ones that they have coming in next week I’m going to see but it look like I will be going in that direction.

I had a 52 gals install in my short bed about a month ago and if I knew that I was going to buy another truck I wouldn’t have bought it but it is what it is. I will be doing something here pretty soon, the dealer still have my truck in the shop waiting parts and I need to start taking off my stuff off because the dealer that I will be buying my truck from want give me nothing for it. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Thank you for your comment, the one that I will be looking at today or soon have 3.73 gears but until then it will give me some time to do a search. I have been hearing that the maintenance on the HO Aisin is double that you have to change the oil at 30,000 miles where the SO you can change it at 60,000 miles, hmmm, I don't know.
Big1, my owner's manual indicates transmission oil change at 60,000 if doing extensive towing.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Big1, my owner's manual indicates transmission oil change at 60,000 if doing extensive towing.
Oh yeah, okay maybe I got something wrong because I was thinking that I heard 30,000 miles, thank you. So what year ram you have?
Old 12-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Oh yeah, okay maybe I got something wrong because I was thinking that I heard 30,000 miles, thank you. So what year ram you have?
2017 RAM Long Horn 3500. I bought it in May, 2018 from AutoNation in Bellevue. Last 2017 they had and reeeeeeealy wanted to get it off their lot. They knocked $18,000 off the list price right out the gate!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RAM 3500.pdf (508.4 KB, 5 views)
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 12-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #50

Quote:
2017 RAM Long Horn 3500. I bought it in May, 2018 from AutoNation in Bellevue. Last 2017 they had and reeeeeeealy wanted to get it off their lot. They knocked $18,000 off the list price right out the gate!!
Wow, you ram is fully loaded for a Big Horn but I know that was then, I wish I could find a deal like you but those days are far and gone thank you. Whenever I get I will post it up here, I just need to take some stuff off of my truck now so I can truck it in.

How you and your wife are well with this Covid-19, tell your wife I said hi.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #51

Quote:
I'm gonna throw my $.02 on this part. Regardless of what trans you get, do yourself a favor, at 1000 miles drop the trans pan and change the filter. Now, if your truck is gonna be like mine and all it does is pull your trailer, do yourself another favor and install a double deep trans pan. I installed a MagHytec double deep finned aluminum trans pan on my 3500 Silverado AND did this years ago with my 99 3500 Ram Cummins. The double deep pan will add another gallon of trans fluid. More fluid will take longer to get dirty and wear out AND couple that with the DD pan the trans will run much cooler. As far as trans fluid goes, at 1000mi I switched my engine, trans/t-case and front and rear diff's over to Amsoil. I'm not going to stand on a soapbox and preach about how good Amsoil is by any means. There are many other good fluids out there, do your homework and use what makes you feel is the best choice for your application. Best thing is keep your fluids changed BEFORE they wear out. Fluids are cheap, and they make them everyday. It's better to waste a little money by changing them maybe a little more often than needed, but its WAY better than replacing expensive components.
Furthermore, I believe (double check my next statement) your 3500 Ram will come with a finned rear diff cover from the factory. I believe they are still using AAM rear axles like my 3500 Silverado has. Mine did NOT come with a finned rear cover but the Ram's did and I think they still do. If they dont and you want to install one, DO NOT install a flat back cover. Banks did a whole segment on this very subject and I was blown away with their findings. I couldnt get one from Banks quick enough due to them not getting product out to market fast enough and it was the start of the camping season for me at that time and I wasn't gonna wait. Striking out at many places across the country I was finally able to get an AAM one from East Cast Gear.
I also did an engine oil filtering system mod on my truck. One and main reason is because GM put the filter in the absolute dumbest place. As soon as you break the seal on the filter, oil spills out all over the place and hits a body mount that you can never get cleaned up, so it will always drip off that. The other reason was better filtering for the emission nonsense the EPA mandated be on these trucks and the oil needs that soot filtered out better. This system I put on also increased my engine oil capacity from 10 quarts to 13.
Congrats on your new purchase when you get it! Diesels these days are towing beasts and you're gonna love it!!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #52

Yes, Yes and thank you sir I wrote this down and I will copy and paste your post I appreciated you giving this very important info, and yes I am in with the Amsoil I use to use it.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:14 PM   #53

Dennis Dillon over in Idaho has some trucks with the 50 gal.tank but it looks like they are duallys. https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...icles/ram-3500
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #54

It's my understanding that the Aisin tranny with the 4.10 rear end comes with the finned aluminum differential cover & a dual tranny cooler.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 12-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
Dennis Dillon over in Idaho has some trucks with the 50 gal.tank but it looks like they are duallys. https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeep...icles/ram-3500
Thank you, I had call them a few weeks ago talking to one of the salesman and at that time they were suppose to get some srw in but the salesman didn’t call me or I miss his call.

I bought a 2016 2500 6.4L from them and was going to go back there but right now the passes have a lot of snow so going over there now will be suicide in the snow.

Quote:
It's my understanding that the Aisin tranny with the 4.10 rear end comes with the finned aluminum differential cover & a dual tranny cooler.
I did not know that, all of the 3500 here now have the 3.73 gears I have check a lot of dealership for them, though that have them the only way to get one I would have to order one which they are talking 6 months out. I will be getting something soon so stay tune.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #56

Good luck Big1, truck hunting is fun. More fun in a normal market though. Keep us posted.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #57

Sir, you are right about that and yes I will keep you guys posted, hopefully my truck will be out of the shop tomorrow so I can start taken off all of my add on.

They might, the dealer of the new truck call me and tell me that the new is in and at that point it will be a day or two before the dealer get it. I can’t wait when it finally come in, and since the camping season in far away for me anyway I might have to go get the wife so we can go and hook up to our fiver and tow it down the street corner and back, lol.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #58

Sounds like you already made the decision on a long bed…I’m a firm believer in getting the most stable platform available for towing. IMO, that’s a CCLB Dually, but as stated that’s my opinion. I have a CCLB Dually and have no problem driving around town or parking…I pull through a spot and take both. And towing there’s just no comparison.
Good luck finding exactly what you need!
Attached Thumbnails
E59FF8F9-4679-40F1-A803-7353107A3535.jpg  
Old 12-06-2021, 10:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Sounds like you already made the decision on a long bed…I’m a firm believer in getting the most stable platform available for towing. IMO, that’s a CCLB Dually, but as stated that’s my opinion. I have a CCLB Dually and have no problem driving around town or parking…I pull through a spot and take both. And towing there’s just no comparison.
Good luck finding exactly what you need!

Yes sir, I think after doing a lot of searching and listening to you guys on this forum and others forum I think that I will go LB SRW but the fat lady is not done singing yet,lol.

I haven’t rule out getting a dually, the dealer have a few of them on their lot so but we will see, and thank you Colorado for all of your pics and comments throughout this post and all because it had being very helpful.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:35 PM   #60

I swore I’d never own a crew cab long box. Until I did. I’d never go back. Yes, they are slightly less maneuverable than a short box, but the ride quality, pulling stability and extra room in the bed far outweigh that. I have yet to be able to back my rig in anywhere due to a lack of maneuverability compared to my old short box.

2015 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
2006 Jayflight 30.5 RLS (sold)
2018 Ram 1500 CCSB 5.7, 3.92 rear (lease up)
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote