Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #1

Need 5th wheel hitch recommendations

Need a new hitch install for a 5th wheel. 2013 Chevy 2500HD diesel with 6-1/2 foot bed. For a 5th wheel with pin weight of 1538 and GVWR of 10995. Recommendations?
Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #2

I went through this same thing not too long ago. I looked at Anderson, Demco Autoslide, Pullrite superlite, and Pullrite autoslide. I ended up with the Pullrite autoslide and I am very happy with it. The only downside; It is heavy. I do like that I do not need to do anything for the autoslide to work. It is pretty much worry free and very little maintenance. The hitch combined with the Morryde pinbox provides a nice ride. I have made a few tight turns and the fifth wheel cap did not come close to my truck. See signature for my truck and fifth wheel. You will get alot of replies. Good luck on your decision.

Fyrehuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrehuntr View Post
I went through this same thing not too long ago. I looked at Anderson, Demco Autoslide, Pullrite superlite, and Pullrite autoslide. I ended up with the Pullrite autoslide and I am very happy with it. The only downside; It is heavy. I do like that I do not need to do anything for the autoslide to work. It is pretty much worry free and very little maintenance. The hitch combined with the Morryde pinbox provides a nice ride. I have made a few tight turns and the fifth wheel cap did not come close to my truck. See signature for my truck and fifth wheel. You will get alot of replies. Good luck on your decision.
Thanks. So you didn't look at a B&W Companion? I am seeing a lot of folks recommending that one.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdan25 View Post
Thanks. So you didn't look at a B&W Companion? I am seeing a lot of folks recommending that one.
I did look at them, but since they didn’t offer an automatic slider, I crossed it off my list. I like the idea of a slider I don’t have to stop and get out of the tow vehicle to put the slider to the rear. The pullrite superlight and anderson hitches were crossed off my list due to the TV I have; a short bed Ford F350. So, for me, it came down to the autosliders from demco and pullright. Both are beasts and are heavy.

Some members who respond like their andersons and turn it so the hitch point is offset from the center of their truck bed. Adapters can be used to do the same for the pullright superlight. My choice came down to making sure I didn’t have an issue with the fifth wheel cap hitting the rear cab of my truck. I have made a few tight turns, but never to 90 degrees.....yet. Not that I plan to. A turn that tight puts alot of strain on the fifth wheel suspension and tires. So far, I have been able to avoid a turn that tight. I have only had a fifth wheel for 1 year. Before that, I had a Whitehawk 27DSRL!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
I did look at them, but since they didn’t offer an automatic slider, I crossed it off my list. I like the idea of a slider I don’t have to stop and get out of the tow vehicle to put the slider to the rear. The pullrite superlight and anderson hitches were crossed off my list due to the TV I have; a short bed Ford F350. So, for me, it came down to the autosliders from demco and pullright. Both are beasts and are heavy.

Some members who respond like their andersons and turn it so the hitch point is offset from the center of their truck bed. Adapters can be used to do the same for the pullright superlight. My choice came down to making sure I didn’t have an issue with the fifth wheel cap hitting the rear cab of my truck. I have made a few tight turns, but never to 90 degrees.....yet. Not that I plan to. A turn that tight puts alot of strain on the fifth wheel suspension and tires. So far, I have been able to avoid a turn that tight. I have only had a fifth wheel for 1 year. Before that, I had a Whitehawk 27DSRL!
Thanks for the insight. How long is your short bed? Mine is 6-1/2 ft. As a coincidence I currently have the same Whitehawk! How's the towing compare?
Old 08-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

We pull our 336FBOK with our 2020 Silverado 2500. We have a Curt Q20 on a Curt Slider. It works great and on the lowest setting I still have over 6.5" of bed rail clearance. With the slider in the maneuvering position I have plenty of cab clearance. Downside is it's heavy, but I like the way it works and how solid it feels.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

Towing the fifth wheel is much better. I was happy with my Whitenawk. I had a Ford F150 ecoboost and used and equalizer hitch. It towed well, but the fifth wheel tows much better. No sway when semi trucks pass, little to no sway in windy conditions ( I have not been out west yet, nor have I been in extremely windy conditions). If it became REALLY windy, I would pull over and look for a place to stay until the wind / storm eased up. I have heard others say that towing a travel trailer vs a fifth wheel is night and day; I agree, the fifth wheel is better. Backing is a little different as the fifth wheel does not respond as quick as a bumper pull, but you will get used to it and it will become easier to maneuver.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Towing the fifth wheel is much better. I was happy with my Whitenawk. I had a Ford F150 ecoboost and used and equalizer hitch. It towed well, but the fifth wheel tows much better. No sway when semi trucks pass, little to no sway in windy conditions ( I have not been out west yet, nor have I been in extremely windy conditions). If it became REALLY windy, I would pull over and look for a place to stay until the wind / storm eased up. I have heard others say that towing a travel trailer vs a fifth wheel is night and day; I agree, the fifth wheel is better. Backing is a little different as the fifth wheel does not respond as quick as a bumper pull, but you will get used to it and it will become easier to maneuver.
Thanks, I've heard the same. Wondering how it will affect my MPG since I'll be pulling about 10k vs 7k on my bumper pull. And I know, people say if all you're worried about is MPG then don't get one!
Old 08-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #9

I use an Andersen Ultimate for my 2020 Sandstrom F286GSLR ‘14 Ram combo. Our first trip was to an empty parking lot to see where contact happens. It was past 90°, and stopped trying to see how far it will go. I hope I’m never in a situation that needs that, but I like to know I can make a U-turn if necessary.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #10

My uncle has a pullrite slider. He had it in his 11 Silverado and transferred it to his 20 Silverado. He's pulling a 34' Cedar Creek (other brand). Both trucks have the 6.5' standard box. The auto slide is nice BUT, coupling and uncoupling leaves a bit to be desired. You can only be off a few degrees in ANY direction. A buddy of mine has a 36' Cedar Creek, 16 Silverado and I installed a B&W slider in it. Coupling and uncoupling in any direction, angle, tilt, etc, are seemingly flawless. He has only used the slide on it a couple times. Both those trailers have a fair amount of cutback on the front corners to give more turning radius without making contact between the trailer and truck. The nice thing with the B&W is it is adjustable in height and fore and aft over the axle. It depends on how much cutback on the front corners of your trailer you got and/or if you want auto slide with maybe some hitching issues, or manual slide with no hitching issues. I may get chastised for that last sentence but my uncle that has the pullrite and one or two others I've talked to with pullrite sliders all said the same thing.
As far as MPG goes, the 5th wheel is gonna be higher, its gonna have more wind drag so its gonna hurt your MPG a bit. The weight difference isn't gonna do much.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

Well, here I go again. First I found out I have a Lippert 1621 pin for what that's worth. So I had narrowed down my choices to the Pullrite Superglide 2700 autoslider and B&W Rvk3270 manual slider. Installed price difference is about $500 more for the Pullrite so I decided on the B&W. BUT after calling several installers and Tweetys NOBODY has any and don't know when they are getting any. I need a hitch within a week to go pick up my new fiver. Found out I can get a Curt A16 manual slider (p/n 16521) for the same price as the B&W. Does anyone have any experience with Curt manual sliders? I see some comments that they are noisy, and some that they are 'loose'. Have decided against the Andersen Ultimate as there are NONE to be found and was told the Pullrite Superlite is for long beds, mine is a short bed. Appreciate any and all comments.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

There’s probably a dozen for sale on CL or Fakebook Marketplace.

Here’s an Andersen for sale in Houston.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233544260360

This one is in UTAH w/free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/154031580810
Old 08-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdan25 View Post
Well, here I go again. First I found out I have a Lippert 1621 pin for what that's worth. So I had narrowed down my choices to the Pullrite Superglide 2700 autoslider and B&W Rvk3270 manual slider. Installed price difference is about $500 more for the Pullrite so I decided on the B&W. BUT after calling several installers and Tweetys NOBODY has any and don't know when they are getting any. I need a hitch within a week to go pick up my new fiver. Found out I can get a Curt A16 manual slider (p/n 16521) for the same price as the B&W. Does anyone have any experience with Curt manual sliders? I see some comments that they are noisy, and some that they are 'loose'. Have decided against the Andersen Ultimate as there are NONE to be found and was told the Pullrite Superlite is for long beds, mine is a short bed. Appreciate any and all comments.

Who told you that, I would say that they probably will tell you that it's recommended for a long bed but here is mines with a short bed and at 85% radius, and yes it was on flat ground but I would never get myself into those situations.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3394.JPG   DSCN3395.JPG   DSCN3397.JPG   DSCN3398.JPG   DSCN3408.JPG  

DSCN3405.JPG   DSCN3390.JPG   DSCN3409.JPG  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #14

Thanks for the pics Big1. How long is your bed? Mine is 6-1/2.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #15

Yep, 6 1/2 so it can be done.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #16

There are two places that you can bring it back, one is on the king pin and the other is the hitch itself when it attach to the gooseneck ball, it will bring it back about another 7" to 8" toward the tailgate.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #17

Etrailer doesnt have a slider B&W?? That would be surprising if they didnt.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
Etrailer doesnt have a slider B&W?? That would be surprising if they didnt.
Actually they do have the Patriot slider, I just checked a while ago. Will be calling them tomorrow to see if they actually have them in stock and if so how long it would take to get one.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #19

I use a Curt Q20 on a Curt manual slider in my standard bed 2020 Silverado 2500. I have a fairly tight cul-de-sac that I turn around in on my street and it works very well. Good luck with your new fiver.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #20

Demco Autoslider

This is always a subject that gets a lot of opinions. So I will talk about the Demco.

I am totally happy with my Demco Autoslider. I make U-Turns in a Cul De Sac on a regular basis without any worries or concerns, my bed is a few inches longer than yours, but that won’t make a difference. It is a heavy hitch so getting it in and out is a chore. It has a capture that totally wraps around the pin which make me more comfortable. I have a MORyde pinbox so no chucking at all. The reason I picked it over the Pullrite was the ability to make height adjustments. You will realize a level ride is important and depending on your suspension and trailer you will be tinkering. I wanted the ability to use the hitch to adjust height if needed. That’s why I picked the Demco over the pullrite. Not to mention it was cheaper by a bit.

Be warned “Autosliders” are not as forgiving hitching as regular hitches. You better be able to back your truck up with about a 1/4” of accuracy. And see the hitch. I could never get used to doing it with a bed camera. A bit of practice and it’s gets easier. They claim a 15 degree of error, I think it’s more like 5. I make sure I straighten the hitch to the trailer every time before I unhitch. This will help especially with unleveled approaches to a level pad.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote