Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2020, 10:55 PM   #1

New Mud Flaps

Hi all..I have GMC 2500 diesel pulling a fiver and considering purchasing the large mud flaps that attach into the receiver hitch. Problem with those is the flap on the passenger side is only inches away from the exhaust pipe. They do sell a a 6x6 metal plate that bolts into the rubber flap that supposedly protects the rubber from the heat of the exhaust. What does everyone think? I’m skeptical. Go with these, or go with the ones that screw into the rear wheel well? Really need to protect the trailer! If anyone can help, please attach a pic or link to what you recommend. Thanks
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Hi all..I have GMC 2500 diesel pulling a fiver and considering purchasing the large mud flaps that attach into the receiver hitch. Problem with those is the flap on the passenger side is only inches away from the exhaust pipe. They do sell a a 6x6 metal plate that bolts into the rubber flap that supposedly protects the rubber from the heat of the exhaust. What does everyone think? I’m skeptical. Go with these, or go with the ones that screw into the rear wheel well? Really need to protect the trailer! If anyone can help, please attach a pic or link to what you recommend. Thanks
The bolt on style can get pinched between the wheels and uneven terrain backing up and be torn off. I run Rock Tamers on my Dually they don’t catch everything but are definitely worth running. I’m guessing your exhaust is pointing straight back?
I would take the tip off and add a 30° or 45° bend pipe to it and just plumb the exhaust to the side. Take a IR THERMOMETER and check the exhaust temps while the truck is idling and at WOT (with help) and you can see what kind of temps you’re dealing with.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

Got these for Christmas. I’ve seen folks bolt a plate to protect from the exhaust. You can slide them back on the bar so not so close. Happy with them so far. My trailers were getting hammered with gravel.
Attached Thumbnails
8D5132CB-A190-4C42-911A-993C8637AD21.jpg  
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #4

I have Husky mud flaps all around on my F-250. They do an ok job but I wish they were a little longer. Google mud flaps for your truck, lots of options out there.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
CAG

Check the temp when the truck is in regen. The temp is going to be considerably higher. That is the temp that you are going to have to configure for.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies. Kind of leaning to the Enkay mud flaps sold at Cabela’s. Is there anyone out there using these on a 3/4 ton Sierra diesel truck? If so, based on a previous reply, how far away from your exhaust to you have them adjusted to, so as to not have a problem?
Old 01-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #7

I had a set of Rock Tamers hitch mount style on my dodge when I was pulling enclosed snowmobile trailer. Mine had the anti sail weights in them and worked fairly well because I had them really close to the ground when the trailer was connected to keep the sail as minimal as possible. They would drag a bit when you pulled off the road into a driveway, etc. YOU CANT RUN THAT STYLE ON A DURAMAX, unless you get the optional exhaust hole screen. OR your truck is emissions deleted or you have an aftermarket Banks side directed exhaust.
On my 15 Silverado Duramax I run a set of Duraflap mud flaps. They are the perfect height when backing into a parking spot to barely clear those concrete parking blocks. They are REALLY solid and don't sail and still keep a lot of road debris off the front of the trailer. My Northpoint sits pretty low in the front and still stays pretty clean and is stone chip free (knock on wood).
Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #8

Thanks Lake Huron. You’re right! The Enkays will burn on my Duramax! Don’t want to spend a ton of money on other items to make them work. I do like the Duraflaps. For your Sierra, did you get the 12 inch tall or the 14 inch tall from the bottom of the wheel well? Also, did you get the weighted or non weighted? Which gave you the best protection?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #9

Mine is a Silverado Dually. Even if yours is a single the width of the flap should still be plenty wide enough, I got the extral long because my truck is a 4x4 and I also got the anti sail weights. Like I said I've been pretty happy with them. I wish they were longer but then you'll run into clearance issues when backing into parking spots with those concrete stop blocks and youd end up scratching the nice stainless weights. I dont know how much those weights really have an effect on the flap itself because it's pretty stiff to begin with but they add a nice touch bling to the appearance, IMO. With the weights they do seem to have a bit of bottom weight to them though. They clean up pretty easy too, even on the groove inside. I use the same small scrub brush I use on the tires and it works great.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_190040.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	55800

Heres a pic of them on my truck. You can see they are about the same length as the bottom of the landing gear plate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_185126.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	55801

Heres a pic of how close the tailpipe is to the front of my trailer. Our truck is have a few different stages of regen from light to pissed right off. I think the mean regen mode will be displayed on the DIC and a chime will go off. Mine has never done that but it went into a regen once and half melted the lower plastic cover they use to hide all the screws in that metal edge rail.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #11

Thank you sir...out of curiosity, what do you think of these?
https://www.amazon.com/LUVERNE-25074.../dp/B008BG7EPE
Old 01-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #12

Sure, no problem.
These look about the same as the Duraflap ones. They are the same thickness. The Duraflap ones are made from rubber and polyethylene where the other ones are made from a hard rubber. From the install pics the rubber ones look about as straight and stiff as the duraflap ones. I know mine are pretty stiff so theres really no sail to them. The rubber ones, it's hard to say but from the pics I cant imagine itd be much. That's a tough call. I guess it depends on how stiff you want them. Mine got about 15k on them and you can barely see they aren't as straight as they were brand new. Theres a SLIGHT curve to them but you cant really tell. I know because I remember how straight they were when I put them on. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are as stiff as a piece of steel, they do flex back and forward if you were to bottom out. Either way, I dont think you'll go wrong.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #13

I forgot to add, my biggest thing is the no drill installation. I looked the the GM ones and for a dually they weren't long enough in the back and the front you had to drill a hole. I dont think duraflap had front flaps for my truck back then. I ended up getting Weathertech flaps for the front. Again, no drill installation.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #14

Thanks for your help
Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #15

Post up some pics some pics of what you went with when you get the install done.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #16
Site Team

Homemade.
Attached Thumbnails
834DE7E0-5314-402A-AADE-4E3EDDFC1572.jpeg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #17

Will do. Probably going with the Laverne. Ordering in the next few days.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #18

Nice job Norty1...won’t work with my truck though..diesel exhaust will burn right through it...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Nice job Norty1...won’t work with my truck though..diesel exhaust will burn right through it...
I have the same situation and placed a metal plate in front of the exhaust pipe. Never a problem in 5 years.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #20

What’s the distance from the end of your tailpipe to the metal plate? I’m assuming the plate is bolted to the flap