Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFOracing View Post
Congratulations on the big purchase! I don't know the trim level or accessories you've ordered but I started w/a Tradesman and added chrome pkg, MaxTow, comfort, bigger U-connect, etc., then the Air Lift 7500# air bags w/ onboard compressor for ride height safety. Some RAM trims have an OEM equivalent. Though not quite as hefty, they certainly seem adequate.

Get the RAM Factory Hitch, I wish I would have. It's much nicer than aftermarket offerings.

You now know for sure that there are no trailers or small houses out there now nor on the horizon that your new RAM won't pull with ease!
Thanks! Went with the Laramie and will add the AirLift bags once I get the truck. The auto ride height bags were part of a larger package that also included the hitch that I really don’t want as I love my B&W Companion. The truck does have the fifth wheel prep so the hitch will drop right in.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Thanks! Went with the Laramie and will add the AirLift bags once I get the truck. The auto ride height bags were part of a larger package that also included the hitch that I really don’t want as I love my B&W Companion. The truck does have the fifth wheel prep so the hitch will drop right in.
You can add the auto ride bags by itself. You don't need the full tow package to add it.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #43

I'm down here in congested so.CA. I thought the M/C dually would be a handful but now after a year with It I motate around town just fine. Parking out in the so.40 is good for me although the cameras help me in tighter situations. I back into most spots if tight and the wide hips keep folks from cramping the truck. I can even go thru most drive thrus now no problem unless really tight like a Burger King etc. Love the looks I get when picking up my scripts at Walgrens. The security when towing is awesome. I'm getting older so if we need a SRW I'll probably quit RVin. At first I thought that I didn't want the factory airbags but the truck the wife loved had it and now I'm really liking the system. I had onboard air with bags on my 06 which was easy but i had to adjust it manually with the setup in cab. I like not worrying about them and letting the truck set itself up. I towed with a SRW for many years...most of the time right on the edge of payload capacity. Nice not to worry about it anymore.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK View Post
Sorry, I think I brought up the GCWR. Because the OP asked about weight rating and making sure he wouldn't be overweight, so I threw that out there.

So, in summary, and let me know if I missed anything -

Curb weight - weight of the vehicle as it sits fresh out of the factory

Payload - how much the vehicle can handle, inclusive of people cargo, and trailer weight directly on the vehicle. Obtained by subtracting curb weight from the GVWR

GVW - current weight of vehicle, inclusive of all people and cargo

GVWR - maximum weight of the vehicle, including fluids, people, and cargo

GCVWR - maximum weight of the vehicle, occupants, cargo, and anything attached to the vehicle

All are important. And none are really that difficult to understand. How they interract can be a bit more confusing....
only really one comment or edit. define Payload a little better.

Payload from the factory yellow sticker or avalable payload today?
I would view payload as a today thing So
GVWR - current scale weight 'GVW ' and you can even break it down by axel weight rating to get really picky.

that toolbox you threw takes away from your payload.

This is where that yellow sticker is USELESS after you drive it home. owner sees it and goes see I can haul that. but they forget about the mud flaps, extra fuel tank, filter system, that cool bed cover, spray in bed liner, steps on the side, fender flares, that awesome sound system they added. and don't forget that 400 lb hitch that was installed. that dirt clod that stuck under the pickup. granted if your at a half tank of fuel that also falls into your favor.

curb weight ... as it left the factory is just a point in time measurement to give you a ball park idea of the weight. I also understand it to be used as a legal thing for taxes most states use it to base min weight tax imposed on registration WA for example min is 1.5 x curb weight. I also believe the class of truck may take this into account Dodge called out Ford 450 pickup as being over 8k curb weight yet it is derated to stay in class 3 to compete with the towing and hp wars with the 3500, class 3max gvwr is 14k. F450 C&C trucks are class 5 for comparison.

if someone was comercial and dot put you on a scale that scale number and axle weight ratings, gvwr are the only numbers they care about. bridge law and tire width play a role as well but not a concern on this discussion. and they would laugh at you about that yellow sticker.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #45

My Mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
My pin weight is 3,000 pounds. Being full time I carry a lot of heavy stuff in the front compartment and basement.
Got weighed today at Ecapees in Livingston, TX. Will not go to a Cat Scales again. My pin weight came in at 4,010 pounds!! A mere 1,000 pounds more than the Cat Scales. Smart Weigh weighs one wheel at a time.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Got weighed today at Ecapees in Livingston, TX. Will not go to a Cat Scales again. My pin weight came in at 4,010 pounds!! A mere 1,000 pounds more than the Cat Scales. Smart Weigh weighs one wheel at a time.

Lol, forgive my ignorance and lack of scale knowledge. Can you explain your post for a layman?
Old 09-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Lol, forgive my ignorance and lack of scale knowledge. Can you explain your post for a layman?
I think Cat Scales are more suitable for semi's. This link explains Smart Weigh.

https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #48

Quote:
I think Cat Scales are more suitable for semi's. This link explains Smart Weigh.

https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/

Thank You, and I guess you doubt that pin weight. I think I would
Old 09-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Thank You, and I guess you doubt that pin weight. I think I would
I don't doubt the 4,000# pin weight.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #50

Quote:

Wow, that is some weight but your truck can handle it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Makes me feel better about my pin weight which came in at 4,080 pounds. Couldn't figure out how you initially came in at around 3K as I didn't think I was carrying that much stuff. With that said, I've already trimmed about 500 pounds of stuff that I just don't need to carry.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote