Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #21

Reading this Thread with interest because my daughter and family recently moved to San Antonio. Just curious from those living in the great State of Texas when is the best time to visit weather wise? Here in Arizona we get Monsoon storms almost daily June thru September. We are thinking April or May we might plan a trip to SA in our RV. We flew there the second week of November and it was in the 30’s and raining the whole time we were there! Hail is one thing we want to avoid!!

Expert advice () will be much appreciated.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #22

Brief period of almost hail in San Antonio.

The best time is anytime, always something to do. I prefer Late October to November and March and April.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Reading this Thread with interest because my daughter and family recently moved to San Antonio. Just curious from those living in the great State of Texas when is the best time to visit weather wise? Here in Arizona we get Monsoon storms almost daily June thru September. We are thinking April or May we might plan a trip to SA in our RV. We flew there the second week of November and it was in the 30’s and raining the whole time we were there! Hail is one thing we want to avoid!!

Expert advice () will be much appreciated.
Unfortunately the weather here is anyone’s guess. Even the meteorological experts scratch their heads at times. The best advice I can share is avoid July-Sept. it’s not uncommon to string 60 days straight of 100-105 degrees with humidity taking the stress index 110+ Arizona might be much the same??
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
ATX512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #24

I wish you all the best of luck. We had 2 cars and 2 RV trailers totaled in the last 2+ years. Still recovering from the house damage. The house alone was 65K in damage.

Some things you can cover, but when it gets to baseballs nothing survives. The stones went through the camper roof to the inside and it dented my 1/8" stainless grill. Knocked the paint off the cars and crushed the skin to the internal supports.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I wish you all the best of luck. We had 2 cars and 2 RV trailers totaled in the last 2+ years. Still recovering from the house damage. The house alone was 65K in damage.

Some things you can cover, but when it gets to baseballs nothing survives. The stones went through the camper roof to the inside and it dented my 1/8" stainless grill. Knocked the paint off the cars and crushed the skin to the internal supports.
You are so correct. I've seen hail down here that is so hard it bounces off the pavement and dents the underside of vehicles. Crazy.
1 crazy chocolate Lab
1 stinky Basset hound
ATX512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:46 AM   #26

My phone has been sending alerts for San Antonio all afternoon and evening for thunder storm and lightning, I live in Idaho now, but my trailer was dinged up a bit when I was living in San Antonio in 2014-2016, a hail storm left it looking like a Chinese checker board! Luckily it wasn’t too bad, not enough to worry about filing an insurance claim. Just a little cosmetic damage. Shortly after I left a large hail storm went through the same area and destroyed a lot of vehicles, houses, and trailers, even shattered car windows and windshields. I lucked out on that one!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #27

Storms last night...high of 70 yesterday here in N TX! Snow & 31 this morning!
Click image for larger version

Name:	60044572515__57455B81-CE57-43B7-BB17-70A979D892E3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	55759
Old 01-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #28

Was just having the same thought. Only Texas.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Was just having the same thought. Only Texas.
Come to Michigan. It's just as bad or worse because things like that happen all the time.
Back about 12 years ago on a thursday evening in late April it was 82* out. My buddy and I were riding jet skis on the river the seperate us from Canada. 3 weeks earlier was the last of the ice that floated down from the lake. Water temps were barely 40*. Sunday morning we woke up to 9" of snow on the ground and still snowing. We put traded wet suits and life jackets for helmets and bibs and hauled out the snowmachines and went snowmobiling all day.

I believe it was 3 years ago in March, it was 65* when we went to bed at 10pm and we were under a winter storm warning. We woke up the next morning to a solid 3" of snow on the ground and a blizzard outside with 2-4" more coming.

Here we are January 11th, it was 50* yesterday and the fog was so thick you needed a chainsaw to cut thru it. Today it 35* and pouring rain and we are under flood warnings expecting 3" of rain. It started around 3am here and has been pouring all nite. Temps are supposed to keep dropping and in a little while the rain is going to switch to ice. Not good. 3" of rain would equal 30" of snow and I'd much rather have that. Water levels are at record highs as it is and come spring time the people that had bad flooding issues last year are in for it worse this year. Sure am glad I dont have to worry about it but I feel sorry for those that do.

I dont think I've ever seen a storm stretch as far as this one is. It looks like it's starting down around the Texas/Mexico border all the way up here to Michigan and then wrapping around to the east all the way to Nova Scotia. The majority of it being all rain with some snow on the back edge of it in the north areas. For January, this dont seem right.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #30
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
A guy over on another forum I frequent purchased this for his tow vehicle last summer and absolutely raves about it. I don't have any direct info on it other than he is extremely happy with the way it protects his Cummins Ram.

https://www.amazon.com/HAIL-PROTECTO...SIN=B07PQPQXW9

Wish they made something like that for wheat crops. Oh well there is insurance but watching several hundred acres of wheat get beat to the ground hurts. About as much as watching your new vehicle get beat to a pulp.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Wish they made something like that for wheat crops. Oh well there is insurance but watching several hundred acres of wheat get beat to the ground hurts. About as much as watching your new vehicle get beat to a pulp.

The gentleman that uses the hail cover I listed lives just outside of Tempe AZ and spends summers in ND. He told me that they received a couple of heavy storms before Christmas in Tempe. That isn't far from you correct?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #32
CAG

Quote:
The gentleman that uses the hail cover I listed lives just outside of Tempe AZ and spends summers in ND. He told me that they received a couple of heavy storms before Christmas in Tempe. That isn't far from you correct?
Not far but our hail storms here are usually small hail. There have been some damaging hail over the years here but that is unusual but my wife and her brothers still own and operate a farm/ranch in Kansas and I lived there for 12 years. A scary sound when the storm coming in has a continuous "rumble" coming from the sky. Hail makes a very distinct sound as it is tossed up and down inside the storm.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #33

Quote:
A guy over on another forum I frequent purchased this for his tow vehicle last summer and absolutely raves about it. I don't have any direct info on it other than he is extremely happy with the way it protects his Cummins Ram.

That's kool.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #34

Quote:

That thing would be no match for our hail.

This was a concrete roof on my street in that storm.
Click image for larger version

Name:	house roof.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	55788
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #35

This what a neighbor uses, definitely gets some looks, it’s portable and once it’s draped over the vehicle it has a remote control to inflate.
Attached Thumbnails
E9143898-79C9-43AD-8B1B-A29E8F9AEFCB.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
This what a neighbor uses, definitely gets some looks, it’s portable and once it’s draped over the vehicle it has a remote control to inflate.
What a great invention!!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #37

Bubble wrap? Amazon.com
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #38

Just an idea, my neighbor, more redneck than I, made himself an anti-hail blanket out of swim noodles! Tied them together so it covers the top of his tow vehicle. Looks weird but worked! And cheap too!
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I purchased a full body cover for my Silverado back in 2016 just for the Texas winter hail storms...., as I recall it was rated up-to dime or nickel size hail.

My TV covered at my annual Texas winter destination a couple years ago (move it away from the pecan trees during storms)....

Bob
We have a full, custom car cover we use that is padded and for the life of me, I cannot think of the brand name but it has protected wife's Rav 4 a few times.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX512 View Post
You are so correct. I've seen hail down here that is so hard it bounces off the pavement and dents the underside of vehicles. Crazy.
X2
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote