Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Trailer brakes don't lock up

I'm pulling a 2017 Jayflight 27BHS with a 2016 Sierra HD. The trailer brakes work, and will bring me to a stop at low speed by themselves, but they will not lock up. I have the trailer gain set to 10 (max). Just had the dealer check out the trailer, and they say the brakes look fine. They want to check the voltage coming out of my truck. If they say the voltage from my truck is fine, then what? I contacted Jayco, but they would not give me a direct answer as far as whether or not I should be able to lock up the brakes. They just said "have the dealer make sure the brake system is functioning correctly." Anybody have a 2016 or newer GM truck, and can verify that the brake controller will lock the trailer brakes? Maybe GM has worked some type of anti-lock function into the factory brake controller?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #2

I've never had trailer brakes "lock up" except on gravel.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

I was told that to set the gain, you increase it until the wheels lock up, and then back it off a little. Maybe I am misinformed?

bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
I was told that to set the gain, you increase it until the wheels lock up, and then back it off a little. Maybe I am misinformed?

Yes that is the way to set them. Did your dealer make sure that the trailer brakes don't need adjusting? Also I don't know about the GM trucks, but Ram had light trailer setting and heavy trailer setting in the menu to set up the the OEM brake controller.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

I have a 2016 Ford with factory controller and my brakes won't lock up either. I did have to adjust my trailer brakes straight from the factory as at full voltage the shoes were barely making contact with the drum. Once I adjusted I got much better braking but still no lockup. I was told the Ford factory brake controller is designed to prevent lockup by not applying full voltage unless you slam on the brake pedal.

If you pull your breakaway switch do the brakes stay locked? Mine did not until I adjusted my brakes.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

I believe some folks on this site had factory brake controller problems, but IIRC they were Ram trucks.

The manual for our 2015 Jay Flight mentioned that the trailer's brakes needed to 'wear in' (my words, I'm not sure of the manual's wording for it). It takes repeated full stops from a moderate speed to do that. I towed our trailer from IN to AZ (~1,800mi) and they were still weak, but I made very few stops those 3 days. After taking the trailer on a few AZ camping trips and to the dealer the brakes got much better and are just fine.

My trailer brakes might lockup now if I tried, but I haven't tried. I can say that when I've had to brake HARD, I felt that the trailer's brakes were stopping the trailer and the truck's brakes were stopping the truck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
Site Team

My Ford will not lock up either except on gravel. I was always told when they lock up you are no longer braking but sliding.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #8

At the very least, they should always lock up on gravel, yes?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #9

They will lock on gravel because there is hardly any resistance to slow you down. As said above your brake controller should be set to not lock up the brakes otherwise you could lose control in a panic situation.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #10

I suspect the brakes need to be adjusted. I suspect I need to adjust mine as they did not lockup when tested on the driveway.

A test you could do in the driveway, is to have the TV connected, then manually pull/engage the e-brake, and see if you can pull the TT. If the wheels rotate, the issue is with the TT. If they are locked up solid, the issue is with the TV.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Same here.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #12

I suppose getting them adjusted is something you need to take in to the dealership to get done vs. something you can do on your own?
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
I suppose getting them adjusted is something you need to take in to the dealership to get done vs. something you can do on your own?
I adjusted mine myself. Pretty straight forward task. They adjust just like the old drum brakes on cars and trucks with a "Star Wheel" adjuster.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #14

I don't understand why some feel their brakes are not working correctly unless they lockup. I don't want them to lockup and trash my tires. The brakes are simple to adjust, set the controller properly and I am a happy camper.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #15
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I don't understand why some feel their brakes are not working correctly unless they lockup. I don't want them to lockup and trash my tires. The brakes are simple to adjust, set the controller properly and I am a happy camper.
They shouldn't lock up during regular use, but if you set your controller to the max level then the brakes should lock up or be about to if the brake shoes are adjusted correctly. You then back your controller off until the brakes don't lock up but still have enough force to provide stopping power for the trailer.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
This has been my experience with our little Hummingbird as well.

Not really sure why anybody would even want their TT brakes to be able to fully lock on asphalt/concrete.

In my personal opinion, if you manually slide your brake control lever while slowly rolling on a hard surface and the TT brings the entire rig to a full stop they're doing their job.

I adjusted my brakes on our TT when I first brought it home because one side was not set as close as the other. They will still not fully lock with either of our TV's on asphalt but they are working like they should. Now rolling slowly on gravel I can drag the tires. Since we live on a gravel road I have a perfect place to test our brakes every time we leave the house.

I know that some owners manuals describe setting the brakes where they will fully lock and then backing off, but on hard surfaces I do not buy it at all. Some TT's may be able to achieve this, but not all.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #17

My trailer brakes lockup after I warm them up. I usually make brake power adjustment after they warm up from 5 to 10 stop and going driving.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #18

My trailer brakes don't look either when I slide the lever all the way. I can feel them working, though. But there was one time last year when we were on our way back home. Some yahoo was passing us and just as he pulled back in front of me, decided that that's where he wanted to make a left turn, but had to stop because of oncoming traffic. I had to stand on the brakes; the truck's ABS system kicked in, but I could hear the screech of the trailer tires as the brakes locked up. No damage to anything except my undershorts.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #19

Why lock the brakes? Cause most brake controllers say that is how to find the proper setting.

Mine says use a setting of 6. Run at 25mph on dry, flat pavement. and apply max braking using lever. If brakes lock decrease. If they don't increase. Keep increasing until you get maximum braking power but do not lock the brakes.

Keep in mind that if you set them this way you may end up locking them in low traction situations, like rain or dirt.

PS on our old trailer (only 7000lb) I could easily set the controller to lock the brakes (a setting of about 7). The new one (11,000lb) will not lock the brakes at a setting of 11.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
I'm pulling a 2017 Jayflight 27BHS with a 2016 Sierra HD. The trailer brakes work, and will bring me to a stop at low speed by themselves, but they will not lock up. I have the trailer gain set to 10 (max). Just had the dealer check out the trailer, and they say the brakes look fine. They want to check the voltage coming out of my truck. If they say the voltage from my truck is fine, then what? I contacted Jayco, but they would not give me a direct answer as far as whether or not I should be able to lock up the brakes. They just said "have the dealer make sure the brake system is functioning correctly." Anybody have a 2016 or newer GM truck, and can verify that the brake controller will lock the trailer brakes? Maybe GM has worked some type of anti-lock function into the factory brake controller?

Thanks.

Search 2015 jayco brakes. There is a thread that claims that jayco has downsized the axles and may not be adequate for fully loaded trailer. Not sure this applies to your year but may be worth looking at.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote