Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: High ridge
Posts: 428
Want a new hitch

Currently have a recurve r3 hitch. The sway control head on the hitch can be moved a couple of degrees in each direction before the resistance can be felt by hand. I suspect this is contributing to the effects of feeling sucked into or pushed away from a big truck, depending on where the truck is located.
The truck and tt are loaded with different weights depending on the trip. The truck cargo varies from deer camp, a weekend trip, or a 3 week trip.
So, question 1- since the cargo varies, so does the stance of the truck. I suspect a full load would drop the rear of the truck, affecting the weight distribution because of the male part of the reciever would be angled higher in the front, causing the distance of the bars from their holders on the trailer tongue to increase, requiring more preload to engage.
Are air bags a good idea to ensure the ball is always at the same height depending on the cargo in the truck bed? IE, the truck always is level before hooking up the tt.
Question 2. Considering 2 hitches, weight safe, and the anderson with chains instead of bars. They appear to be the most easily adjustable for differing tongue weight. Hoping for some with first hand experience with both. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is, which of these 2 hitches has the best sway control?
Thanks, chuck.

Edit if it matters
01 f250 xclb 7.3 4x4
18 264bh
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:33 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 20,498
I have have been an Andersen user for 5 full years now. I use it both with both my Cummins Ram and my F150. It takes less than a minute to change my hitch settings between trucks. It's a simple change on the tension bolts and it is ready to go. This is probably my single favorite feature of this hitch.

I can't comment on the Weight Safe, but the Andersen, with the friction cone design, has been solid as a rock for me as far as sway is concerned.

Both are great hiches and I'm sure that you would be happy with either choice.

I am not a huge fan of airbags with a weight distribution hitch. In some cases, they can unload the bar/chain tension of the hitch, thus reducing the distribution of weight back to the front axle or the tow vehicle. Which, is really the primary goal of the WD hitch system.
__________________
Moderator
2017 Jay Feather 7 22BHM Baja/Andersen WD
2018 F150 4x4 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 3,459
X2 on the Andersen if you are under 14 k.

Easy on, off, light weight. good customer service
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit L 5.7L V8
Andersen WDH hitch, Renogy 100 AH Lithium &
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:59 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Currently have a recurve r3 hitch. The sway control head on the hitch can be moved a couple of degrees in each direction before the resistance can be felt by hand. I suspect this is contributing to the effects of feeling sucked into or pushed away from a big truck, depending on where the truck is located.
The truck and tt are loaded with different weights depending on the trip. The truck cargo varies from deer camp, a weekend trip, or a 3 week trip.
So, question 1- since the cargo varies, so does the stance of the truck. I suspect a full load would drop the rear of the truck, affecting the weight distribution because of the male part of the reciever would be angled higher in the front, causing the distance of the bars from their holders on the trailer tongue to increase, requiring more preload to engage.
Are air bags a good idea to ensure the ball is always at the same height depending on the cargo in the truck bed? IE, the truck always is level before hooking up the tt.
Question 2. Considering 2 hitches, weight safe, and the anderson with chains instead of bars. They appear to be the most easily adjustable for differing tongue weight. Hoping for some with first hand experience with both. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is, which of these 2 hitches has the best sway control?
Thanks, chuck.

Edit if it matters
01 f250 xclb 7.3 4x4
18 264bh
If thereís anyway you can test if thereís resistance on the swivel point with weight on it i would. The r3 is a pretty good hitch but itís only a 2 point sway control. We did a demo on it with weight on it when picking up our trailer and itís solid. We ended up going with the Trekker but it has its own learning curve.

I canít speak on airbags but we have the Roadmaster suspension on our truck along with sumo springs. The Road-master works really well and settled the truck right up. However like you we have changing loads, so when we fill the fresh water tank and carry the generator etc etc, the sumo springs make contact. Overall a good set up.

Even with the trekker hitch which is a 4 point sway hitch we get pulled a bit depending on how the winds are. But I drive one handed and never had a white knuckle moment.

If youíre experiencing sway I would recommend the weight safe or the equalizer. But those sway control cannot be disabled if it matters to you.
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,327
If you had a 1500/150 series truck I'd say you'd need to adjust with each trip. But with a 2500 I doubt you'd need to adjust anything. Your concerned about rear squat.

What you need to check is how much the weight difference affects your front end height, that is how much weight is on your front wheels to restore steering control. Your truck's owners manual should have a specification listed that says how much variance you can have. My 1500 Silverado for example says to adjust the WDH to within 1/2 of stock height.

A 2500 series has a much stiffer suspension and you may not need to do much of anything with the WDH adjustment.
__________________
Chuck
2013 Jayco Jayfeather X20 E (sold)
2016 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2 Z71 Crew Cab
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: High ridge
Posts: 428
The ccc is part of what I am combating. My 01 superduty in squarely in modern half ton territory with a ccc of just over 1950 pounds. I am not far off of that, if not over on our multi week trips. It also seems the lite weight vs the size of the trailer doesn't help when near the big trucks. Listed as under 5k dry with a max of 6k. 35 mph gusts from the side really get your attention.
I will try to spin the sway portion of the hitch with some weight on the ball this weekend.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
RogerR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Mapleton
Posts: 3,459
I love my Andersen for it's sway control. My air ride Jeep Grand Cherokee just doesn't squat at all. But it does return weight to the front wheels for better steering.
Today drove From Durango to Denver in high winds over several passes with many trucks, etc. And NO SWAY!


That's my opinion, Andersen hitches kill sway!
__________________
2017 SLX 195RB
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit L 5.7L V8
Andersen WDH hitch, Renogy 100 AH Lithium &
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: High ridge
Posts: 428
Checked some things out on my trip last week. The sway head still pivots slightly with the hitch on the ball. Can't think of a way to try and swivel with the bars hooked up.

Measured the fenders with no weight on the hitch and with the bars hooked up. With both the tv and tt all loaded, the front fender measurement did not change and the rear was only 1 inch lower with the bars connected. According to the directions, this should be acceptable.

I may be my own worst enemy. I kept cranking the sway collar bolt tighter to combat some poor handling. Stopped on the way home and loosened the collar about 3/4 turn. Seemed to get better. Will play with this some more next month on a longer trip.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:53 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Checked some things out on my trip last week. The sway head still pivots slightly with the hitch on the ball. Can't think of a way to try and swivel with the bars hooked up.

Measured the fenders with no weight on the hitch and with the bars hooked up. With both the tv and tt all loaded, the front fender measurement did not change and the rear was only 1 inch lower with the bars connected. According to the directions, this should be acceptable.

I may be my own worst enemy. I kept cranking the sway collar bolt tighter to combat some poor handling. Stopped on the way home and loosened the collar about 3/4 turn. Seemed to get better. Will play with this some more next month on a longer trip.

It may be time to start thinking about getting your rig weighted. You may have too little tongue weight causing your sway issue even the best of sway control canít compensate for that. Post a picture of truck and trailer hitched up together if you can.
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 5,506
I'm an Equal-I-Zer fan myself. Always treated me good. I have air bags in all four corners and I find it's a solid combination. Recently, I've been using the 5'er and I use different PSI's in the bags. I pretty much have it dialed in for both units. Scale numbers are pretty good on both when I have the setup correct. Considering the size of trailer you have and TV, I don't think you "need" airbags. But they are nice to have. But you definitely need a good WDH hitch.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:54 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I'm an Equal-I-Zer fan myself. Always treated me good. I have air bags in all four corners and I find it's a solid combination. Recently, I've been using the 5'er and I use different PSI's in the bags. I pretty much have it dialed in for both units. Scale numbers are pretty good on both when I have the setup correct. Considering the size of trailer you have and TV, I don't think you "need" airbags. But they are nice to have. But you definitely need a good WDH hitch.
Whatís interesting about OPís issue is the amount of sway heís experiencing. I tow the same trailer with an f150 and experience no sway after being set up correctly. I left the dealer on and my hitch height was way off and had dangerous sway. Same truck same trailer set up properly and I have no sway. On the 264bh Facebook group the recurve r3 seems to be a common hitch for the trailer as itís a small box, light tongue weight trailer. So there may be another issue here that a better WD might just cover up.
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:12 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 5,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVA View Post
Whatís interesting about OPís issue is the amount of sway heís experiencing. I tow the same trailer with an f150 and experience no sway after being set up correctly. I left the dealer on and my hitch height was way off and had dangerous sway. Same truck same trailer set up properly and I have no sway. On the 264bh Facebook group the recurve r3 seems to be a common hitch for the trailer as itís a small box, light tongue weight trailer. So there may be another issue here that a better WD might just cover up.
Most certainly could be. Suspension, tires, etc. Could have the truck inspected as well as the trailer. Older vehicles have older parts. If all that checks out, the Equal-I-Zer will straighten it up. Setup is critical as well. Weigh station wouldn't be a bad idea. But I truly believe the truck has enough to do the job. There's other good WDH's but I really like the EQIZR.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 176
Here's another thought:
Any good sway system should be fine with your trailer and truck. I would stay away from chains as they really can't stop swap like metal on metal friction. An E3 two point system, an Equalizer 4 point system or an Anderson will all give you good service.

The issue I see over and over is the setup isn't correct. You really need to go to a weight station with an average load and get the numbers. Then you need to go over your set up with a fine tooth comb.

Your will always get away in winds or with passing vehicles. You are pulling a square box behind you. Minimizing sway is the goal. Elimination is almost impossible. It's physics.

Hey your weight numbers. Check your set up. Measure twice!
Then if your set up is good and you aren't happy, go for a new hitch system. I don't know Anderson's set up procedures, but the E3 trunnion bar system and the Equalizer system both have excellent setup videos. Makes it very easy to get it correct.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2
Swat eliminated

I went with the ProOride 3p hitch. It uses pivot point projection to eliminate sway I am not bothered any more by cross winds or semis passing my on the freeway Yes it is expensive but is well worth it.
Bear100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Currently have a recurve r3 hitch. The sway control head on the hitch can be moved a couple of degrees in each direction before the resistance can be felt by hand. I suspect this is contributing to the effects of feeling sucked into or pushed away from a big truck, depending on where the truck is located.
The truck and tt are loaded with different weights depending on the trip. The truck cargo varies from deer camp, a weekend trip, or a 3 week trip.
So, question 1- since the cargo varies, so does the stance of the truck. I suspect a full load would drop the rear of the truck, affecting the weight distribution because of the male part of the reciever would be angled higher in the front, causing the distance of the bars from their holders on the trailer tongue to increase, requiring more preload to engage.
Are air bags a good idea to ensure the ball is always at the same height depending on the cargo in the truck bed? IE, the truck always is level before hooking up the tt.
Question 2. Considering 2 hitches, weight safe, and the anderson with chains instead of bars. They appear to be the most easily adjustable for differing tongue weight. Hoping for some with first hand experience with both. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is, which of these 2 hitches has the best sway control?
Thanks, chuck.

Edit if it matters
01 f250 xclb 7.3 4x4
18 264bh

Super Duty/smaller camper and constantly changing weights are a recipe made for an Andersen No Sway Hitch.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:07 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: High ridge
Posts: 428
Sorry it took so long to get back, life keeps getting in the way.
First pic, unloaded with no bars. All tongue weight.
Second pic, unloaded (I know) with the bars hooked up. With minimum load in each, the rear wheelwels are returned to pre hitch height.
Attached Thumbnails
20220601_095832.jpg   20220601_095452.jpg  
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 67
Iíd drop your ball 1 slot on the hitch to add a bit more tongue. You want truck sitting level with the trailer sitting how the first picture is.
NERVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:36 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 176
Here is a video of the E3 system setup. I know it's different than yours, but if you fast forward ahead and watch only the section on measuring your truck height and trailer height, then you will get the information I'm trying to convey. It's not about what things look like, rather how they measure out when you are finished adjusting your hitch.

https://youtu.be/5_kbKyXRZTM

Hope this helps!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:12 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: High ridge
Posts: 428
The truck gets loaded differently for every different type of trip. When my dealer did the hitch install, I feel they did the best they could with what they had. Truck and trailer level when empty. Normal load has the overloads about an inch from making contact versus deer camp where the overloads are compressed about a half inch. I dont feel that a one time adjustment is going to properly fit all loads. That is why I had it narrowed down to two easily adjusted hitches.
I feel my real issue is the amount of freeplay in the friction part of the sway head. I made a scratch on the hitch head that lines up with the zerk fitting, then took another pic after swinging the sway part counter clockwise until the sway part encountered resistance. It may only look like a 1/8" or less movement at the head, but by the time that line moves to the rear bumper, that appears to be over a foot of movement before the sway kicks in.
75 mph and no big trucks or crosswinds, this rides really nice and predictable. Big trucks and crosswinds, even 60 mph is a handful
Attached Thumbnails
20220601_164948.jpg   20220601_164813.jpg  
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:43 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 176
Understood. Have you contacted the manufacturer about this?
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.