Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
snip.......I am going to rectify the situation by going to a 2013 1 ton diesel and not worry about payload issues......snip
I think you would be a happy camper

I'd love to tow my Jayco Eagle into a campground with one of these..........,

But reality is a 1 ton diesel will be my next TV...., but for now my 2500HD gets the job done.

Bob

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #32

Weighed my 2013 Ram today....

I have a question about these ratings.

I had an '03 F350 with a GCWR of 26k with 4.30 gears.

With the 3.73 gears it was a lot less, like 19k or so.

This was with tow packages etc on both. No other differences. I built the truck online and ordered it. My trailer was 15k so I needed the capacity.

Is it possible that a lower geared 1/2 ton would do what you want? Be rated higher?

G Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Bush View Post
I have a question about these ratings.

I had an '03 F350 with a GCWR of 26k with 4.30 gears.

With the 3.73 gears it was a lot less, like 19k or so.

This was with tow packages etc on both. No other differences. I built the truck online and ordered it. My trailer was 15k so I needed the capacity.

Is it possible that a lower geared 1/2 ton would do what you want? Be rated higher?
I have 3.55 gears and my GCWR is 14k I think...the 3.92 gears have a GCWR that is higher. My issue isnt the pulling power...it is the payload capacity of the truck itself. I broke the news to the wife that we were going to skip the 3/4 ton and go straight to the 1 ton...she thinks I am crazy, but at least I wont have to worry about the payload...although I did start looking at toy haulers (I go to WV several times a year to ride ATV's and my 6 year old son rides the local trails with me)....the Seismic's are nice, but are even a bit much for a 1 ton single...even pushing it with a dually on some of them..but man, are they nice!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #34

That Laramie must be a weighty package. MY 13 Sport Quad cab 4x4 Hemi has a cargo capacity of 1487# according to the VIN specific "Vehicle Capability Sheet" from Ram
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch1 View Post
That Laramie must be a weighty package. MY 13 Sport Quad cab 4x4 Hemi has a cargo capacity of 1487# according to the VIN specific "Vehicle Capability Sheet" from Ram
Well the real test is to go weight your truck and subtract that from the GVWR and see how accurate the "Vehicle Capability Sheet" is. I think my Duramax's GM published spec is ~3300 lbs payload, door sticker is ~2200 and GVWR - actual weight = 2100 lbs.

The only real way to know is weight and subtract from GVWR.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #36

Why would they print a sheet specifying a particular VIN with all standard and optional installed equipment listed and have the information provided be wrong? Lawyers would have a field day with Chrysler Corporation if I was within the specified limits on their document and disaster struck. If there is error I would think that it would be on the conservative side.
Pitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why would they print a sheet specifying a particular VIN with all standard and optional installed equipment listed and have the information provided be wrong?.......snip
For clarification, I would look at confirming if the Chrysler VIN "Vehicle Capability Sheet" is based starting with the "Curb Weight" (includes 150lb driver and all fluids filled including fuel).

Also, CAT scales have a plus/minus 40lb weight tolerance, weight of driver over 150lbs, etc., can play into some weight difference at the CAT scale.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Why would they print a sheet specifying a particular VIN with all standard and optional installed equipment listed and have the information provided be wrong? Lawyers would have a field day with Chrysler Corporation if I was within the specified limits on their document and disaster struck. If there is error I would think that it would be on the conservative side.
I wish I could answer that question. It's why I stopped thinking published specs relating to tow rating and cago capacity were gospel. You'll notice the OP weighed his truck with the family loaded. Their weight directly reduces the cargo capacity. In my situation, my family of 5 plus car seats/booster seats is easily 300lbs more than the 150 driver GM allows for in their published specs.

I tried looking up your truck on Dodges site, it shows curb weight + 150 driver leaves 1388 payload remaining. Slightly less than you reference, but not an enormous difference.

I still would be interested in knowing you trucks actual CAT scale weight with driver and passengers typical when camping + the hitch and see truly how much cargo weight is remaining. It's the extras that manufactures can't factor in, VIN specific or not.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #39

Towing a 2000 Jayco Eagle 313 RKS

We have a 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi 1500 that we just got last February. We are looking at this trailer and LOVE it! We have heard SO many different stories about towing and just getting more confused about it. We were told today that if we have special springs built for our truck we can pull it. We are only going 72-75 miles and we leave it up at the campground all summer and then tow it home in September. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input!
Teri
Teristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teristar View Post
We have a 2011 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi 1500 that we just got last February. We are looking at this trailer and LOVE it! We have heard SO many different stories about towing and just getting more confused about it. We were told today that if we have special springs built for our truck we can pull it. We are only going 72-75 miles and we leave it up at the campground all summer and then tow it home in September. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input!
Teri
Technically, you cannot increase your GVWR or GCWR by add on springs or anything else you add to your TV. That said, you can do some upgrades that could make a difference. You can add overload springs i.e. Air bags or helper springs, change your tires from D to E rating, and change your ring gears to 4.10 rather than what you have now.

2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote