Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Which tow tug?

Hi,

It's time to upgrade the company vehicle. I have been given a budget of no more than 40K and the boss wants something new (no more of someone else's second hand problems). We're upgrading from a 2011 CX7 diesel.

We have a Jayco camper trailer and it's me, the wife and a couple of kids (5 & 7)

Prefer an auto SUV rather than a wagon, sedan, or twin cab.

I would be grateful of any recommendations (or hints on what to steer clear of)

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers.
David
David3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3b3 View Post
Hi,

It's time to upgrade the company vehicle. I have been given a budget of no more than 40K and the boss wants something new (no more of someone else's second hand problems). We're upgrading from a 2011 CX7 diesel.

We have a Jayco camper trailer and it's me, the wife and a couple of kids (5 & 7)

Prefer an auto SUV rather than a wagon, sedan, or twin cab.

I would be grateful of any recommendations (or hints on what to steer clear of)

Thank you all in advance.

Cheers.
David

Knowing what TT you have will help. First thing to look at is to check out the drivers door post and get the cargo capacity of the vehicle. This will be the weight of all passengers, any luggage/cargo in the vehicle, plus the weight of the hitch PLUS the tongue weight of the TT. Typically you run out of cargo capacity before you run out of towing capacity... Knowing what TT you have will allow us to help make a more educated suggestion as to the proper tow vehicle.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

Ditto on trailer to be towed.

As previous responder indicated, it's mostly about payload. Calculate your tongue weight with a full load, add in the people and stuff along for the ride, and subtract that from the maximum payload for your vehicle. Plenty of info on this site and elsewhere for making the calculation.

How much total weight the manufacturer says the vehicle will tow is also a consideration, but is secondary to payload. Of course, neither payload or tow rating should be exceeded.

Final thought is wheelbase. Pickups tend to be popular for their payload, but also for their wheelbase. A longer wheelbase makes for more pleasant towing, although I'm not aware of any formula that takes wheelbase into account.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Knowing what TT you have will help. First thing to look at is to check out the drivers door post and get the cargo capacity of the vehicle. This will be the weight of all passengers, any luggage/cargo in the vehicle, plus the weight of the hitch PLUS the tongue weight of the TT. Typically you run out of cargo capacity before you run out of towing capacity... Knowing what TT you have will allow us to help make a more educated suggestion as to the proper tow vehicle.
Thanks. I assume by TT you mean camper trailer...

It's a Jayco Freedom camper trailer. Based on a Dove but without the sink, stove or fridge.

I've tried to attach the compliance plate to show you the specs...

Sounds like I should get it all weighed first...Click image for larger version

Name:	20180407_102048.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	38508
Old 04-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Ditto on trailer to be towed.

As previous responder indicated, it's mostly about payload. Calculate your tongue weight with a full load, add in the people and stuff along for the ride, and subtract that from the maximum payload for your vehicle. Plenty of info on this site and elsewhere for making the calculation.

How much total weight the manufacturer says the vehicle will tow is also a consideration, but is secondary to payload. Of course, neither payload or tow rating should be exceeded.

Final thought is wheelbase. Pickups tend to be popular for their payload, but also for their wheelbase. A longer wheelbase makes for more pleasant towing, although I'm not aware of any formula that takes wheelbase into account.
Thanks.

Sounds like I need to do some calculations first.

Or I could just get the biggest one that my budget can afford and surely it'll be ok...
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Have you considered a van?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Have you considered a van?
Not keen on a van...