Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

Help, potential dealer problem with x17z bunkends

Hello all.
Looking for some advice.. I'm in the process of purchasing a 2018 x17z, it's used as it was traded in at the same dealer on a bigger unit. So, no warranty....
Today went to pick up the unit after they cleaned it and did their prep and inspection. I told them I wanted to do my own inspection also. Found several little things, mostly trim not nailed,stuff like that....then.....a big one...on the bunks on the inside there is plastic trim that's screwed in every 8 inches or so, it's all cracked from what looks like screws being over tightened. The service manager said that it's part of the bunk end and what's used to attach it, if it's cracked will be a problem in a few years most likely. The dealer says they are not fixing it, the bunk ends cost too,much..
So, does anyone have actual advice, will this continue to crack and actually cause a problem?
Other question.. I signed all paperwork etc already so I own it technically but it was pending their prep and is still at the dealer, I never took it. Can I get out of the deal? I'm thinking the dealer may say too bad,it's yours...
They offered a bandaid fix with some nylon washers and some epoxy on the cracks.
Background, I owned a star craft hybrid for about 10myears before this so I knew what to check..
Tony_Kuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

It is a common issue with all of them. I have an 08 17C and mine are like that. The bunk ends have a plastic rail on them and they should put a metal rail on the trailer for that to slid into but instead they saved money and put screws into it.
Tell them to shove it where the sun dont shine!
Walk away!
mleger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #3

I've got an X23B with the same issue. It seems like the crack is inevitable, I'm sorry to hear it's happened on something so new.
I've tried a variety of glues, epoxies, and adhesives on mine, and nothing seems to hold. I have added rubber washers and the crack doesn't seem to be growing. On the plus side I'm not seeing any leaks (yet, maybe later).

I don't know the details of your contract and I don't want to give legal advice. I'm guessing if the contract says you can inspect the unit prior to finalizing the sale you still have the opportunity to back out, or renegotiate. Maybe the dealer won't replace the bunk ends, but maybe they can sweeten the deal through price or accessories.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleger11 View Post
Tell them to shove it where the sun dont shine!
Walk away!
If it's an "as is" sale he can't.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If it's an "as is" sale he can't.
True... Try calling Jayco and telling them. Maybe they will honor it and send this company some new bunks. Offer to pay for install or split the install fee.
mleger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #6

It's an as is sale and my fault for not putting a note, pending my inspection. The sales guy kept saying any issues will be fixed that's what our prep and inspection is for...guess that doesnt count for big issues?
I'm feeling like they will just say tough, they offered to fix all the other things and try to fix these but wont replace..
I'm wondering if its actual issue? That practice seems easily cracked..will it cause bunk problems down the road?
Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

If it's the one that is most commonly reported here, it's not too likely to be a problem. This is the trim that holds the fabric to the edge of the opening when the bunk is open correct?

It is not going to be an issue at all when the bunks are closed as that is in the dry zone. The seam is pretty well protected when the bunks are open as well; there is a good tight overhang around. So it would only likely be a strong driving rain, or perhaps slow seepage that would get through.

My 2011 hasn't developed this issue, but I do see it mentioned here a lot. The trim piece on mine does seem more substantial than what i have seen in the pictures here. You might be able to find some NOS pieces for an older HTT at eTrailer or Jaycorvparts. Wondering if the 0173670 flat offset trim might work from the second source above?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #8

most states have a 3-day "buyers remorse" type of law that you can back out of any contract.
Jmac000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

If it is cracked now I give it less than a year and it will split open and able to leak rain any time you are out and the ends are open.
There are several threads here about these and one were someone gave the part number for the trim piece that cracks. It can be replaced but you'll have to find someone with a good sewing machine (the name of a vendor was also given in the thread).
New bunk end tents run $400 and up.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac000 View Post
most states have a 3-day "buyers remorse" type of law that you can back out of any contract.
But he went to pick it up.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 PM   #11

[QUOTE=bankr63;707776]If it's the one that is most commonly reported here, it's not too likely to be a problem. This is the trim that holds the fabric to the edge of the opening when the bunk is open correct?

It is not going to be an issue at all when the bunks are closed as that is in the dry zone. The seam is pretty well protected when the bunks are open as well; there is a good tight overhang around. So it would only likely be a strong driving rain, or perhaps slow seepage that would get through.

No, it is going to be a water problem if you don't fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #12

Thanks for all the intro. I did more reading and it does seem like a common problem that gets fixed under warranty usually.Since I don't have one I'll have to try to negotiate with the dealer. The front bunk is much worse, I'm going to push for replacement of that one with a repair on the rear. I have a feeling I may be splitting some of the costs.
I did get a very good price on the camper,much less than new to offset not having a warranty. So we'll see how it goes...ill post updates.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #13

Our experience has been if it starts out bad, it usually does not get any better!Happy Holidays
Attached Thumbnails
AJ NEW YRS.jpeg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #14

It might be worth a call to Jayco service to find out what part they are using for the warranty repairs. Presumably they are using an improved part (or have gone back to the older part before it became an issue) for these repairs. Even if they don't cover the cost, trim pieces aren't usually that expensive. If you got a good deal on your used trailer, it shouldn't hurt that much.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac000 View Post

Your talking about a "right of rescission", that only applies to a sales person that comes to your home and you sign a contract there, not if you go to a place of business and sign a contract. It's designed to prevent a high pressure sales person, say, selling a vacuum knocking on your door and pressuring you to sign a contract.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #16
Site Team

Many reputable auto dealers also offer a 3 day - "Changed my mind" clause. It would have to be in writing IMO.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #17

Quick update..
Got a call today from the dealer that jayco agreed to replace both bunk ends under warranty. Even with me being the second owner they apparently agreed without any issue. I can only imagine they know their design has issues that's why they agreed to do it.
But, end result I'm much happier now and satisfied with both jayco and my dealer.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Kuz View Post
Quick update..
Got a call today from the dealer that jayco agreed to replace both bunk ends under warranty. Even with me being the second owner they apparently agreed without any issue. I can only imagine they know their design has issues that's why they agreed to do it.
But, end result I'm much happier now and satisfied with both jayco and my dealer.
Good to hear. I was about to jump in and point out that Jayco warranties its products, regardless of whether it's the first, second, third, or more owners ... so long as the unit it within its warranty period. The bunk ends have a five year warranty. My 2013 x17z is at our dealer getting the same problem fixed that you have. They're not replacing the whole bunk end. They said they're replacing the strip. As long as it holds and doesn't crack again, I'm fine with that. We'll see how it works out.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMM View Post
Good to hear. I was about to jump in and point out that Jayco warranties its products, regardless of whether it's the first, second, third, or more owners ... so long as the unit it within its warranty period.
That may apply to MH's, don't know but I do know that the 2 year warranty applies to the first owner on towables.

They have been known to make good will repairs to rigs that have common problems but on a good will basis.

If that policy has changed, this is the first I have heard of it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That may apply to MH's, don't know but I do know that the 2 year warranty applies to the first owner on towables.

They have been known to make good will repairs to rigs that have common problems but on a good will basis.

If that policy has changed, this is the first I have heard of it.
I could be wrong, but I thought these warranties were like cars and trucks -- if the manufacturer offers a five year (or whatever) warranty, it doesn't matter who owns it before the end of the five years. They gave me zero trouble approving my plastic strip repair, other than taking forever to approve it.