Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #41

Is this the WDH or you will die in horrible crash thread?? Most “real” truck (1/2, 3/4) require WDH if TW is more than 600#. So some said that WDH is needed it 500# of cargo/ passengers are in Ridgeline or Pilot. How??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregveal View Post
I am a definite newbie (to RVs and towing and hitches - and posting in a forum! So hopefully, I'm doing this right.)

I just bought (but haven't hitched up yet) a 2015 X17Z and will be towing with a 2014 Honda Pilot V6 4WD. The guy I bought it from suggests I get a Pro Series 49901 Complete Weight Distribution Kit. I guess this is mainly about sway control to reduce fishtailing. I don't have a clue, so I looked it up. It comes with a 2-5/16 ball. I'm pretty sure the X17Z takes a 2" ball.

Does anyone know (I'll bet many of you do), is there a way to adapt this thing? An alternative piece of gear? Do I need it at all?

I don't even understand where it goes. Is part of it on the trailer and the ball on the car? I have so much to learn before I pick the trailer up this Thursday. HELP PLEASE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redslider View Post
A Ridgeline or Pilot are completely different from conventional trucks with regards to drive train layout. Both are essentially front wheel drive vehicles with the entire drive train over the front wheels. It really isn't necessary to restore weight to the front of the vehicle when towing. A typical front wheel drive vehicle has 60% of its weight over the front wheels, adding 500 lbs. of tongue weight is no different than carrying 500 pounds of cargo in the bed or storage area. Look at the TFL Truck website and watch them tow a 5000 lb. trailer without wdh. Funny how the same people that recommend your ignore the manufacturers recommendations on some issues have a fit if you ignore the recommended maximum weight ratings.

My trailer is almost exactly like yours--same trailer, different floorplan. When I first got it I towed with a Hyundai Santa Fe, tow capacity 3500 pounds, hitch weight 350(?) pounds. I was really "on the edge" with this setup. a WDH was not allowed per the manual and when I saw the way the hitch was mounted to the unibody frame I could see why.

I made two trips (270 miles each way) with this setup and it was "white knuckle" all the way. The 5 speed transmission seldom got out of third gear and I was always waiting for the entire hitch to rip off the back of the car! But it never did.

Regarding the comment about hitch weight being the same as cargo weight, I have to disagree. Any weight that is behind the real axle (hitch) will take weight off of the front wheels; any cargo ahead of the rear axle will add to the front wheels depending on how far forward it is.

Because I was close on CCC for both the car and camper, I put very little cargo into the Santa Fe (other than my wife who was driving). I removed the propane tank and heavy table from the camper. I was able to put all this into an F150 that I was driving with a boat behind it--the truck didn't seem to care what I did to it. When the Santa Fe went over a bump during periods of acceleration the front tires would "chirp" due to the fact that the camper was removing weight from them.

I didn't like this situation and have since bought another small pickup to pull the boat leaving the F150 free to pull the camper. No more white knuckles!

You should be in better shape with a Pilot which appears to be a bit beefier than the Santa Fe. You still may want to remove the propane tank to get some weight off the hitch; put it as far forward in your Pilot as you can as long as you're comfortable riding with a propane tank in your passenger area--make sure it's secured. You can even power your camper fridge with a small 14 ounce propane bottle if you want while you travel.

Remember, keep all your heavy stuff as far forward as you can in the Pilot and make sure the trailer is level so it doesn't generate too much hitch weight. You should be fine--and you're going to love that camper!