Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Jack knife sofa replacement X19H

We have a new 2018 x19 Hybrid with the jack knife sofa. We do not need it for extra sleeping space - not comfortable anyways. We find it very awkward to lift the sofa up so you can get to items in the storage box. I hold the sofa up with my back while adding or removing items which is very awkward especially for heavier items that do not fit through the outside storage door.
We are thinking of removing the sofa and replacing it with a plywood cover and cushions - like the dinette. Has anyone done this or do you have other suggestions? Thank you.
Westhawk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #2

I haven't modified my sofa, but like you, I find it very awkward to access the storage space. I've thought about building three large pullout drawers underneath. My sofa is comfortable so I want to keep it, but access underneath could be easier. Curious to see what others think.
EmptyNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

On ours the kick board under the sofa swings up from the bottom for inside access to the storage. You shouldn't have to hold the sofa up. if the clamps at the top of the kick plate are too tight, you might try loosening them to get the swing up to work.

There is a post here of someone who did a similar mod to what you describe. Think they did a cross between additional counter space and seating IIRC. Was probably a couple of years back now, but you might find it with a judicious use of key words.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

I checked my kick panel (2015 X19H). Its screwed in placed and fixed. I like the idea of hinging it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-5563.jpg   IMG-5564.jpg  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:20 PM   #5

Again with the cheaping out, Jayco!

Ours has a round steel bar across the front that attaches where the tab comes out top centre of the second picture. The kick is attached to this with a couple of clamps that allow it to rotate freely.

I'd love to grab some photos, but our storage lot is a good 30 minutes away. Eventually I'll try to update when I next get out there. We've had our first outing already, but no bookings again until August yet. Looking like a busy summer in town!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the info Bankr63. We just got back from our first trip. Spent a few days at the beach and really enjoyed our camper. I'll look into modifying the kick panel like you described - That will be a good winter project.

Westhawk34, It doesn't look like a very difficult job to remove the sofa, build a frame and add a plywood cover with cushions. It looks possible to do this so that the sofa can go back in if you decide to sell down the road. Take a look behind the sofa. Mine has water lines running along the wall where the back cushions and the seat cushions would meet. You'll need to work around that.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNest View Post
That will be a good winter project.
Okay, well if you are going to wait that long to get a round tuit, (I've always wanted one of those in my toolbox), then Ill be sure to get some pictures to post back for you.

Actually, I may be able to post some disassembly pictures. We have decided to order a new jackknife from Shop4Seats, so I will be replacing it whenever that arrives. With what I understand the order lead time to be, that may be my winter project as well. Our OEM one is getting very lumpy and uncomfortable.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

I never knew that it opened like that. After reading this thread I took a closer look because I had always thought the kick plate on my x17z jack knife sofa was just loose. I have to lift the bottom of the sofa slightly to swing the kick plate up and open. This prevents stuff from rolling out when travelling) I can finally get to the stuff that is at the far end that I can't reach through the door!
jimovernon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
l couch, sofa