Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #1

Sulfur Smell in Water

I went dry camping a couple of weeks ago and prior to my trip I filled my water tank with 1/4 cup of bleach mixed with water in a gerry can poured that into my water tank and then topped my reserve tank with fresh water. I waited a half hour and drained my reserve tank then refilled it again with fresh water and drained that. Then I fill the tank one more time with fresh water for my trip. This was done the day before I went camping. When I got set up at my destination every time I would use the water there was a Sulfur smell. I know some have suggested to use baking soda also but I've done this w/o the baking soda in other campers and never had any problems or strange smelling water. Am I missing something here?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

You need to sanitize the entire system not just the fresh water tank, because the sulfur smell is coming from bacteria that's really bad for you.

First off, the recipe is about 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. I use more most of the time around 1/2 to 3/4 cup per 15 gallons. So you were light on the bleach. (Drain and by pass the water heater.). Next you run the water through all of your piping until you smell chlorine at each faucet, including the toilet. Don't forget the outside faucets and low point drains. If you do the bacteria will eventually grow back up those pipes into your system.

Let the chlorine do it's work by leaving it overnight. Drain your fresh water tank, fill with new city water and push the chlorine out with the fresh water. You should be good to go. Here you don't have to open the low point drains as the bleach really doesn't do much but keep the bugs down.

Been doing this every start of use after dewinterizing since 1988.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
You need to sanitize the entire system not just the fresh water tank, because the sulfur smell is coming from bacteria that's really bad for you.

First off, the recipe is about 1/4 cup per 15 gallons. I use more most of the time around 1/2 to 3/4 cup per 15 gallons. So you were light on the bleach. (Drain and by pass the water heater.). Next you run the water through all of your piping until you smell chlorine at each faucet, including the toilet. Don't forget the outside faucets and low point drains. If you do the bacteria will eventually grow back up those pipes into your system.

Let the chlorine do it's work by leaving it overnight. Drain your fresh water tank, fill with new city water and push the chlorine out with the fresh water. You should be good to go. Here you don't have to open the low point drains as the bleach really doesn't do much but keep the bugs down.

If I do this in the beginning of the season and then camp again 3 or 4 months later should I do it again or is it good for the entire camping season? My tank is 15 gals. and I live in NJ.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
If I do this in the beginning of the season and then camp again 3 or 4 months later should I do it again or is it good for the entire camping season? My tank is 15 gals. and I live in NJ.
Where you live doesn't matter. It's a common problem. I've found that if I drain the hot water tank after a trip the next time I go I don't have the odor issues. We're done now until the first week of Sept.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #5

It depends on your system and the level of chlorine in your city water. We usually only sanitize in the beginning after dewinterizing and don't have a problem. However, we travel about once per month or two. So you'll have to fill up before you leave and see. Do it a couple of days prior.

One thing, drop your water heater when you get home and leave it empty with the plug out. It's a playground for bacteria that make the sulfur smell, which by the way is hydrogen sulfide.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

Hey Doc. You've been doing this awhile.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #7

why not also sanitize the water heater?
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey Doc. You've been doing this awhile.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012x19h View Post
why not also sanitize the water heater?
I do in the spring. I had a an issue with my old trailer where I had to sanitize before each trip. It wasn't until I got this trailer that I realized that I need to drain the water heater after each trip and that saves a lot of work!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Yep.

I do in the spring. I had a an issue with my old trailer where I had to sanitize before each trip. It wasn't until I got this trailer that I realized that I need to drain the water heater after each trip and that saves a lot of work!
I see. Makes sense.
I only sanitize once a year during my de-winterizing afternoon, and never had an issue.
When you drain the water heater between trips, you won't do any bypassing, etc, right? Just drain, replace drain screw, done? That would be easy enough, and maybe I start doing that just to prevent issues in the future.
2012x19h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #10

I take it at home your water does not have a hydrogen sulfide smell . Lots of well water in NJ does.. And Georgia.. Sometimes its naturally occurring and not dangerous.. Other times it is dangerous.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #11

I followed many of the suggestions along with watching some YouTube videos on water heater maintenance. I have eliminated my sulfur smell, so that's not a problem anymore. One thing I came across was water heaters should use a plug with a magnesium or aluminum anode rod, preferably magnesium. Mine only has a plastic plug in it. Should I be concerned with this? I have an Atwood heater and I'm assuming Jayco or Atwood didn't feel it was necessary or cost worthy that my heater doesn't have the anode rod. I'm only assuming this because I bought this camper used.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 Cruiser Rod View Post
I followed many of the suggestions along with watching some YouTube videos on water heater maintenance. I have eliminated my sulfur smell, so that's not a problem anymore. One thing I came across was water heaters should use a plug with a magnesium or aluminum anode rod, preferably magnesium. Mine only has a plastic plug in it. Should I be concerned with this? I have an Atwood heater and I'm assuming Jayco or Atwood didn't feel it was necessary or cost worthy that my heater doesn't have the anode rod. I'm only assuming this because I bought this camper used.
Rod, good job on eliminating the sulfur smell. Draining the water heater between trips will virtually eliminate the smell. Concerning the water heater; as stated you have an Atwood water heater and the Atwoods do not require an anode rod because they're lined with aluminum inside. The Suburban W/H require a sacrificial anode because they're lined with glass enamel over steel. One suggestion, get a backup plastic plug for your W/H, available at your local hardware store for less the a buck.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
One suggestion, get a backup plastic plug for your W/H, available at your local hardware store for less the a buck.
Thank you, I was thinking of that. I had to file the threads down on the end of the plug I have due to it was constantly trying to cross thread itself.

By draining the water in both the water heater and my reserve tanks won't that leave moisture or condensation that will be more prone to bacteria rather than topping off the tanks?
Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #14

Take the plastic plug to ACE Hardware, Walmart, or an RV store and match the plug to the end of an anode, so you have the right pipe diameter and thread. Now you know which one to buy. My preference is magnesium because it offers higher sacrificial potential than aluminum or zinc. Don't get the long one as it probably won't fit.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:38 AM   #15

I think the length is 4.5" overall opposed to the log one which is around 9.5".
Old 06-29-2019, 06:33 AM   #16

In addition to draining the water heater after every trip, you will also want to drain any water filter canisters if you have a water filter system on your RV. Basically, you want to eliminate any standing water in your RV between trips if you are not using it frequently. I even remove the filter from my refrigerator and shake all the water out of it that I can. I had some folks tell me they blow out the water lines after each trip. For my water heater, I replaced the plastic plug with a brass plug that has a drain valve. I find it much easier to open the drain valve and don't run the risk of stripping the threads on the plastic plug or crossing them up and getting a leak.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #17

I always drained my fresh water tank when ever we were going or coming to reduce weight and still had that smell. What I forgot to do is drain the hot water heater tank. That is where my smell was coming from. Now I drain it whenever I drain the fresh water tank and no smell. The tanks also sit empty when sitting in my driveway.
tpstropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #18

2012x19h: Something about the chlorine attacking the heating element. Not really sure why but have read many time to make sure you bypass the heater when sanitizing.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #19

Sulfur smell probably coming from the water heater. Ours did too and a continue use finally cleared it (we live in ours Full Time).
Mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #20

Drain and bypass water heater

Quote:

Why drain and bypass the water heater tank when doing this? Thanks in advance
AJP207 is offline   Reply With Quote